United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
Thinking about picking this up for the wife and I. We already have LotR and Sentenals though--how does this compare? We like LotR for its depth and decision making during play, but rarely have time to set aside for deck building. We don't care much for Sentinels though--feels pretty simple. Maybe we're missing something, but even playing two heroes each feels like there's not that much to discuss or decide.

Also, how much luck is involved in LE? Can get screwed by the decks in an unwinnable game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely closer to SOTM than LOTR, but it's really not an exact comparison anyway.

The decision-making difficulty in LE isn't going to be any worse than SOTM. I feel like there can be a lot to discuss in SOTM at times, but that's going to depend a lot on which heroes, villains, and environments you are using which is true of nearly anything that a person might say about SOTM. Still, there can be a LOT to keep up with SOTM at times so I'd be hesitant to ever call it simple.

I wouldn't say that LE is highly luck-based, but there's some element. You're shuffling and drawing from a lot of decks of cards so things can show up in quite a few ways. I don't know if I'd say that the cards are going to come up in an unwinnable way, but some games are going to be tougher than others.

You didn't ask, but I can tell you right now that of the three games, LE is the only one I have a prayer of getting my wife to play. She won't play any game with cards that have a lot of text so that rules the other two right out. She also likes deckbuilding so LE is going to be the easy winner there too.

I'm not sure what else exactly to say about these three games, but I am familiar with all three so if you have some other direct comparison question you're wondering about, then just ask.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Polenzani
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I get a completely different vibe than SOTM. This is more a straight up deck builder with some AWESOME co-op mechanics. Personally I love this a bit more than SOTM (and I LOVE SOTM just check my games collection LOL).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chelsea
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Legendary Encounters shares little in common with either games other than the fact that it's cooperative. Sentinels is a pre-built deck coop game that plays abysmally with 2 players. Lord of the rings, while great with 2, requires a fair amount of pre-game deck building that you are responsible for, which is a chore for many. This was a turn off for me and my wife also. Sentinels felt like an elementary math problem from beginning to end. While I hated sentinels, I actually enjoyed the mechanics of lord of the rings, and the artwork for it was phenomenal.

All that said, Legendary Encounters beats both games by a landslide. It's more thematic, it's more cooperative, and personally, I like the in-game deck building mechanics much more than pre built decks. My wife is not a fan of the alien franchise, but encounters is her favorite game of all time too.

I could go on and on about how great this game is, but I'll end on two notes.

1) read or watch all of the overwhelmingly positive reviews. This is one of the most liked games of last year.

2) it's worth a try. The game has a high resell/trade value due to its popularity, so you have little to lose but a lot to gain.

Encounters is a phenomenal game that received significantly more play than either of the games you mentioned. My wife and I find it to be our favorite game. Period.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Frazer
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
From the short description you've given, I'm guessing you'll like the Legendary Encounters games.

The decision making is in a different spot that LotR, less about what cards to play from your hand and more about what to buy from the shared pool of cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jari H.
Finland
Satakunta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own all 3 and i kinda agree with everyone here, they are all different kind of beast. I have not played so much Legendary but i can allrdy say that its alot more stress free if that makes sense. Where Lotr deckbuilding and difficulty are steep. Multiverse is quite a bookkeeping with all the modifiers i would not call it simple. The idea is simple, but the actual gameplay is bit slower than you think.

Legendary just plays. Its not simple but that flow is elegant. If you like the movies its a huge boost for the game as it is VERY thematic.

Im happy own all 3. LOTR is the best but kinda has to be when you have poured hundreds of euros to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
Thanks all, that helps a lot. Decided to pick it up and give it a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Maravola
United States
South Elgin
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adamsad1 wrote:
Thanks all, that helps a lot. Decided to pick it up and give it a try.

You won't regret it. I'm deep into Predators right now too. It really improved on the Alien version, IMHO. I love them both and am looking forward to my first game mixing the two!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.