Hide
11 Posts

Mistfall» Forums » Rules

Subject: Some questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nano
msg tools
1. Has the card Fire of Fury (from Venda, cost 4) any kind of errata?

So far, I've played 4 quest with her and this card as my first purchase, and it seems incredibly broken as written, if I'm understanding it correctly: just by using the damage conversion to magical + 2, you can breeze through the quest, since most enemies will fall to a single swing of your axe, most of the times with just a fast action. It gets even worse if you manage to get any of your reward axes, since you can potentially defeat 3 enemies per turn easy peasy (potentially even more if you acquire Crescent of Blood(s) in the same turn or get the card cycled). I never even have to deal fire damage to any enemy in order to finish them, except for the final bosses.

I'm considering jumping right away to Nightmare mode, but I fear it won't have much of an impact on the difficulty, since I've been defeating every encounter in a single round, so reinforcements won't make a difference, and if you kill an enemy you won't have to enrage it, so you can more or less control who to kill and when... I think even with its "+3 enemy focus" cost the card it's a bargain, and the fact you don't discard nor bury it it's amazingly good, especially since it is a reflex...

2. Does Venda's charter have an errata on Nightmare mode? Her restoration value increases up to 2, but no other character displays such an improvement. Is this intentional?

3. The axe dealing fire (reward for Venda, not for Fengray) forces you to increase your enemy focus by 3 every time you play it into your Hero Area. But the axe dealing poison increases your focus just by 2. Is this intentional, since no regular enemy has vulnerability to poison, or is this an errata?

4. Ardenai's Multishot: its "3 enemy focus cost" every time you perform a fast action or a reflex is meant in addition to the original cost for the action, or is it meant to be as a substitution for the original costs?

5. How does timing on actions exactly work? Can I play Furious Strike (Venda's card reading "Regular action: If you deal physical damage with an axe, add +2 to your attack" (I'm quoting by heart, not literally), use a fast action from your axe to deal 4 physical damage, then play as a reflex "Fire of Fury" to convert all the damage into magical? Or since you are not longer dealing physical damage, you won't receive anymore the Furious strike bonus, acting retroactively? (Not that it matters a lot, but anyway...)

6. Does Venomtongue (blade reward for Crow) have any kind of errata? I've heard so, but I can't find it in the forum, sorry for the question because this has been surely answered already.

Thanks for you answers!

Edit: grammar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal Van Vlaenderen
Belgium
Lissewege
Belgie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'll answer only on the things I know or have an opinion:

2. Never compared the nightmare modes, so no idea if there's errata

3. The difference might be there because it might be useful in future expansions. The designer might explain this better.

4. There's never a replacement of enemy focus cost, it only adds. This makes sure that certain combinations might be to expensive.

5. I think the combination/order is what makes this game a tactical decision, so yeah, you can define it as long as you follow the rules on the cards.

6. It does, don't know exactly where.

The second fast action should change.
Either: remove the poison ability or place on top of deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Mitchell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Boom! errata list
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1423602/card-errata-list
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro F
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There is some answer to these questions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nano
msg tools
Maybe
B. G. Kubacki
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
could throw some light in here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. G. Kubacki
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The answers given by Pascal Van Vlaenderen are correct. Also:

2. Venda's Charter is correct. This small difference makes her playable in Nightmare as a solo Hero.

3. The Cleaver of Havoc is more powerful than the Cleaver of Malice (many enemies are vulnerable to Flame). Also, thematically speaking, it's much brighter, consequently drawing much more attention.

4. Confirmed. It is an additional cost.

5. You choose the timing.

6. The final version of the errata for the Fast Action of Venomtongue card is:

Deal 1[physical damage], >2[Enemy Focus]. You may discard 1 Combat card to deal +1[physical damage], >2, or to place 1[poison condition] on targeted Enemy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nano
msg tools
Thanks really a lot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ostman
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nobody answered your first question. So let me try. What you described adds a ton of focus. Let's say you do the fast action plus a card - that's three focus. Then if you make it magic it's two more focus. So that's five focus for one attack, to do 5 magical damage. This will absolutely result in your focus track being moved past the enforcement increase spot. Also, the axe is now in the deck and can't be used again. If there is another axe we could repeat this process, but now we are likely to enrage at best, perhaps even loop back around to the reinforcement spot again. So yes, it's possible to crush two enemies with it, but you leave yourself vulnerable next turn. And to do three, you'll need a card that brings back an axe (you can't have 3 in your <h> ) which will cost even more focus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nano
msg tools
mostman79 wrote:
Nobody answered your first question. So let me try. What you described adds a ton of focus.

I know, I implied it costs 5 per fast action (not couting discarding, since it's generally not necessary): but focus only matters if you don't finish the encounter in one turn, which I did everytime thanks to Fire of Fury.

Quote:
Let's say you do the fast action plus a card - that's three focus. Then if you make it magic it's two more focus. So that's five focus for one attack, to do 5 magical damage. This will absolutely result in your focus track being moved past the enforcement increase spot.

Correct: Actually, conversion to magic is three more focus, so more power to you. But it won't matter in any way at all, since tipically we will finish every enemy in the Heroes Areas: no reinforcements whatsoever are forthcoming. I could be worried only about having +1 time after spending more than 60 focus, and even then, it won't matter a lot: it's just +1 time, not a Time card (but we never got to that).

Quote:
Also, the axe is now in the deck and can't be used again. If there is another axe we could repeat this process, but now we are likely to enrage at best

An enemy will only be enraged if it has the rage symbol, otherwise it can only be enraged through other procedures. Even with the rage symbol, it only will matter if it has the "instant attack" effect, I won't care if it gets "+1 attack" or "loses Slow", since I'm about to kill it anyway and I won't have to defend. As I said, I can almost in every occasion choose the first enemy to kill (which will be the most dangerous due to its rage symbol), then most of the times I won't care about enraging the rest anymore.

Quote:
perhaps even loop back around to the reinforcement spot again.

That's of no relevance, again, because of finishing the Encounter and reseting focus to zero the starting value with no reinforcements.

Quote:
So yes, it's possible to crush two enemies with it, but you leave yourself vulnerable next turn.

How so, if I will finish the encounter that turn? Next turn I'll have both axes back in my hand and will play them again, etc.

Quote:
And to do three, you'll need a card that brings back an axe (you can't have 3 in your <h> ) which will cost even more focus.

This can be achieved either by buying Crescent of Blood, or when having found any of your reward cards. When doing both things, you can even kill more than 4 enemies in a turn.

After posting this, I found I was not the first one finding Fire of Fury broken, since another user in this post https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1406913/bullet-questions-ma...

reported the same issues one month before I did.

He even posted a session report (https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1408804/venda-vs-abominatio...) in which he concludes the obvious: "Conclusion: The first two turns were a little tricky, but once Fire of Fury was on the table, it was waaaaay too much easy. I still think that card is overpowered."

I played a lot of games with Venda and buying Fire of Fury as your first purchase is a no brainer, you can tear everything apart. If you combo her character with the Ardenai the Arcaneweave Archer, it's pretty much game over, since you can defeat every enemy in just one round if you play well, no matter what the game throws at you. I haven't tried other 2p combinations, but in a 4 player game it's also generally a cakewalk any time Venda is present.

Edit: grammar, details, spelling

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ostman
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes my assumptions are based on not being able to clear the table every turn. The card in question costs 4 resolve. So you'll need some time to earn that. If you are solo playing, you'll more than likely be facing 3 enemies in your <h> on the first turn. One of those lives, maybe two. This means you'll need to catch back up at some point in order to do whole encounter clears. It's possible (I actually use the same strat - but I really don't think it's overpowered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nano
msg tools
I've never played this game solo, so I can't comment on that. Playing 2-4 players, however, may give you 3 resolve in the first turn very easily (especially if a "2 resolve" enemy appears) in the first turn; since you begin with 1 resolve, it's actually very, very likely that Venda gets Fire of Fury in her very first turn.

Also, it's worth noting that with Fire of Fury, Wrath Call becomes broken too, as you may use the Fast Action on any Axe + Fire of Fury, just to recover it afterwards with Wrath Call and do it again. Having 1, 2 or 3 Wrath Calls in hand equals 1, 2 or 3 more dead enemies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.