7 Posts

Firefly: The Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Printing resources and quality? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
As folks familiar with my customs and my perfectionism know, I'm always on the hunt to better the quality of my work.

After much fine-tuning, I believe my cousin and I are basically in the final stages of our Crew/Leader template... but I wanted to reach out to the community to see if folks have other resources available.

In particular:

1) Card backs: I know many people have printed out cards. I know some people, like me, have had concerns about the printed card backs matching the real cards. Has anyone been successful? If so, are you willing to share files?

The three issues I've seen in my printings are layout, color-matching, and clarity/sharpness/crispness. The first two issues can be dealt with via trial and error, but the last one... Not much we can do with it.

2) We've spent a lot of time on the Crew/Leader template, not so much the Gear template, which contains a layer for each Supply Planet frames, as well as the Ship Upgrades frames.

Anyone able to help out with those?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin DeOlden
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
badge
Twilight Imperium 3rd - Forever
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of my variants are done on a second copy of the game so the backs match perfectly when I put the overlay on the front. Everything is in sleeves so it is very hard to tell any difference in the variant cards over the true game cards.
This does cost a little more but it gives perfect backs and extra parts for alter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A good solution, but not for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've printed up LOTS of cards for other games, and I typically use PrinterStudio.com to get them printed. If you'd like, I'd be happy to take a look at whatever Photoshop Templates you've got, and make sure they've got the proper bleed and everything so that they'll be ready to upload without any issues.

You can e-mail me at GeckoTH @ gmail.com, or send me Dropbox links or whatever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dangerous Partners
United Kingdom
Swindon
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used printerstudio for the legends of the verse cards that were done here and they look pretty good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One option would be to simply print your own complete set of cards, thereby ensuring a perfect match across your game (obviously, there would be legal issues with distributing such a thing, but making copies of the cards for your own use may be fair use - I'm not a lawyer...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Let me be straight up about why I'm asking: this is less about designing something pretty for me than it is for other folks who might want to share the resources. Because of that, I'd like to eliminate as much variability as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls