Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
20 Posts

Churchill» Forums » Rules

Subject: Bot - Agenda picking issues rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Auton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
I was playing Churchill myself - with Roosevelt & Stalin the two Bots.

I won the highest value card and picked 1 conference issue.

USSR went next:
Highest card was Stalin (7pts) so I picked Pol-Mil issue. Randomly rolled to see which actual Pol-Mil issue and went with the 1/1

Next USSR card was (Semyon Timoshenko) id2 5pts his attribute mentions 'Directed Offense'. With 4 Directed Offense options, I randomly rolled and selected.

Next USA - highest card was Franklin himself, however due to the Conference Card 'Global' is already on the table.

So next card was Frank Knox id4 5pts his attribute mentions Production - I rolled randomly for which of the 3 Production issues to select.

This is where it got a bit muddy......for the 2nd USA issue.

Next card for USA was Francis Biddle id12 3pts - however his attribute on the card mentions Soviet Track - which is no actual issue. So I passed on this card.

Next card is Harold Ickes id9 3pts - his attribute just mentions Roosevelts name, so no issue again.

Next card is William Leahy id17 1pt - his attribute mentions Directed Offensive & US Production - rolled randomly for US Production.


Then back to myself (Churchill) for selection of the final 2 issues.

Did I do this right ?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dyrda
United States
Hawthorn Woods
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
autonm wrote:

Did I do this right ?

I don't think you use the leaders card in the factor of the selection of issues.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Parker
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Great game design makes the complex simple, replayability maximum, and abstraction credible.
badge
It’s not how well you roll that counts but how well the dice suit the game.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
What Richard says:

“5.13 Pre-Conference … The players then pick and simultaneously play a staff card (not a Leader) face down.”

So when rolling a a 1-2 on your d6, a “5” card it will be your highest if you have one, then a “4” or “3” etc.

If you roll a 3-4 on your d6, your second highest card will never be a “5”
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Parker
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Great game design makes the complex simple, replayability maximum, and abstraction credible.
badge
It’s not how well you roll that counts but how well the dice suit the game.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Michael, i also just saw you were speaking about the the Agenda Segment, where two issues are picked by the bots.

In that case, the situation above doesn’t change.

The “Card Choice” box says “look at highest value card in hand” etc. The Agenda box says “look at cards”.

So this refers to your Staff Deck hand too - not the Leader Card which is separate.

Hope I’ve helped with 2 answers!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Auton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Thanks.

Was i corrct in the fact a staff card did not mention an issue so i moved to the next highest staff card ?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Auton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Also i am asking how the bots pick their two issues... not how they pick their single issues. This is the 2nd small box on the bot card.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Parker
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Great game design makes the complex simple, replayability maximum, and abstraction credible.
badge
It’s not how well you roll that counts but how well the dice suit the game.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
autonm wrote:
Thanks.

Was i corrct in the fact a staff card did not mention an issue so i moved to the next highest staff card ?

That’s a really good question, because there are so many high value cards like that. Personalities that simply say “+2 if leader is active” etc.

Should we be able to table anything with them then?

I just move down the value ladder in those cases for a card plus attribute that makes sense, because that’s what the engine requires.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Adam Parker wrote:
autonm wrote:
Thanks.

Was i corrct in the fact a staff card did not mention an issue so i moved to the next highest staff card ?

That’s a really good question, because there are so many high value cards like that. Personalities that simply say “+2 if leader is active” etc.

Should we be able to table anything with them then?

I just move down the value ladder in those cases for a card plus attribute that makes sense, because that’s what the engine requires.

Correct
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Parker
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Great game design makes the complex simple, replayability maximum, and abstraction credible.
badge
It’s not how well you roll that counts but how well the dice suit the game.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
But continuing my answer above, I’ve actually a question with staff cards not giving advantage to the two Theater Command issues other than about 3 personalities I’ve seen so far. Those theater commands are so important for offensives and cajoling other players into line

What I’m experimenting with in the agenda setting phase then, is if the Chief of Staff appears in a bot's hand, the bot may select any issue to table - including A-Bomb and Theaters.

In the case of the USSR I’m thinking of tying this to a die roll where the following are relevant:

1. Bot Chief of Staff wants the A-Bomb
2. USSR has the first move this conference
3. Stalin's not restricted to just debating.

However, if cases 2 or 3 aren’t true, well just table the bomb. It could get interesting!

Either way, it should also see those essential Theater issues on the table more often as would be the case with humans.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Adam Parker wrote:
But continuing my answer above, I’ve actually a question with staff cards not giving advantage to the two Theater Command issues other than about 3 personalities I’ve seen so far. Those theater commands are so important for offensives and cajoling other players into line

What I’m experimenting with in the agenda setting phase then, is if the Chief of Staff appears in a bot's hand, the bot may select any issue to table - including A-Bomb and Theaters.

In the case of the USSR I’m thinking of tying this to a die roll where the following are relevant:

1. Bot Chief of Staff wants the A-Bomb
2. USSR has the first move this conference
3. Stalin's not restricted to just debating.

However, if cases 2 or 3 aren’t true, well just table the bomb. It could get interesting!

Either way, it should also see those essential Theater issues on the table more often as would be the case with humans.

These are great suggestions. The 'Bots will evolve, so my hope is these types of ideas will integrate with future versions.

You should note that there is only one staff card UK Cunningham that has a European theater leadership attribute and only two (Mountbatten, King) with the Pacific theater attribute. That is from memory so there could be one more, just can't think who it is. So I saw these as coming up infrequently, but they can be amped up if so desired.

In the end when playing solo the common sense doctrine should always apply.

Mark
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Parker
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Great game design makes the complex simple, replayability maximum, and abstraction credible.
badge
It’s not how well you roll that counts but how well the dice suit the game.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MarkHerman wrote:
Adam Parker wrote:
But continuing my answer above, I’ve actually a question with staff cards not giving advantage to the two Theater Command issues other than about 3 personalities I’ve seen so far. Those theater commands are so important for offensives and cajoling other players into line

What I’m experimenting with in the agenda setting phase then, is if the Chief of Staff appears in a bot's hand, the bot may select any issue to table - including A-Bomb and Theaters.

In the case of the USSR I’m thinking of tying this to a die roll where the following are relevant:

1. Bot Chief of Staff wants the A-Bomb
2. USSR has the first move this conference
3. Stalin's not restricted to just debating.

However, if cases 2 or 3 aren’t true, well just table the bomb. It could get interesting!

Either way, it should also see those essential Theater issues on the table more often as would be the case with humans.

These are great suggestions. The 'Bots will evolve, so my hope is these types of ideas will integrate with future versions.

You should note that there is only one staff card UK Cunningham that has a European theater leadership attribute and only two (Mountbatten, King) with the Pacific theater attribute. That is from memory so there could be one more, just can't think who it is. So I saw these as coming up infrequently, but they can be amped up if so desired.

In the end when playing solo the common sense doctrine should always apply.

Mark

Thanks Mark, I’ve only tried it with the Theater issues in my last game and it played well.

I might try integrating the A-Bomb issue tomorrow - tying the probability of its USSR placement, given the conditions, to the current Soviet position on the A-Bomb track.

e.g.if all conditions are true, roll 1d6:

- If the next Soviet space is Oak Ridge or Hanford place issue on 3-6
- If the next Soviet space is Los Alamos or Trinity place issue on 4-6

If placement attempt fails, pick another issue.

Give me a couple of days to play it through!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dyrda
United States
Hawthorn Woods
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
When the a bomb is on the table and is won. What does implement a bomb research mean?

- each contributes one prod to the roll no matter who won?
- only contribute prod if they won?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji
Switzerland
Gurmels
FR
flag msg tools
visit us on www.muwins.ch
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dyrda wrote:
When the a bomb is on the table and is won. What does implement a bomb research mean?

- each contributes one prod to the roll no matter who won?
- only contribute prod if they won?

6.10.2. "Any player may allocate production markers for a +1 modifier".

So usually US and/or UK... but even Joe may contribute...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dyrda
United States
Hawthorn Woods
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Benji68 wrote:
Dyrda wrote:
When the a bomb is on the table and is won. What does implement a bomb research mean?

- each contributes one prod to the roll no matter who won?
- only contribute prod if they won?

6.10.2. "Any player may allocate production markers for a +1 modifier".

So usually US and/or UK...

I meant with respect to the bots, sorry if I wasn't clear.

Why wouldn't USSR as well? They want it to increase such that they can steal more right?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dyrda wrote:
Benji68 wrote:
Dyrda wrote:
When the a bomb is on the table and is won. What does implement a bomb research mean?

- each contributes one prod to the roll no matter who won?
- only contribute prod if they won?

6.10.2. "Any player may allocate production markers for a +1 modifier".

So usually US and/or UK...

I meant with respect to the bots, sorry if I wasn't clear.

Why wouldn't USSR as well? They want it to increase such that they can steal more right?

They can steal beyond what the US has researched.

"PLAY NOTE: The Soviet Manhattan Project spy marker can
move ahead of the actual A-Bomb marker as it represents stealing
of technology not actual hardware. The A-Bomb marker
represents the actual engineering progress on constructing
a bomb."
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dyrda
United States
Hawthorn Woods
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jackalope wrote:
Dyrda wrote:
Benji68 wrote:
Dyrda wrote:
When the a bomb is on the table and is won. What does implement a bomb research mean?

- each contributes one prod to the roll no matter who won?
- only contribute prod if they won?

6.10.2. "Any player may allocate production markers for a +1 modifier".

So usually US and/or UK...

I meant with respect to the bots, sorry if I wasn't clear.

Why wouldn't USSR as well? They want it to increase such that they can steal more right?

They can steal beyond what the US has researched.

"PLAY NOTE: The Soviet Manhattan Project spy marker can
move ahead of the actual A-Bomb marker as it represents stealing
of technology not actual hardware. The A-Bomb marker
represents the actual engineering progress on constructing
a bomb."

So for bot play. If the US or UK have at least one production marker, they will spend the first one (even together) on abomb research if someone won the issue?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Cohen
msg tools
Am I missing something - it seems that in a zero-player game the bots will never pick "USSR declares war on Japan" as an issue. I'm still too new, but I think the agenda items could be tweaked quite a bit.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Deuber
United States
Baldwin
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I am missing that too. How does the "USSR declares war on Japan" get on the table in a zero player game?

Also, when Stalin bot debates, does he ...
(a) use his best card, or
(b) still attempt to hold on to his best card and use his second best card to debate
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mdeuber wrote:
I think I am missing that too. How does the "USSR declares war on Japan" get on the table in a zero player game?

Also, when Stalin bot debates, does he ...
(a) use his best card, or
(b) still attempt to hold on to his best card and use his second best card to debate

The Bots were designed for a solo experience meaning that I assumed one human. To answer your question there are times when due to the cards you might pick an issue randomly. That would be the only way sans any human intervention.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Amenta

Idaho Falls
Idaho
msg tools
Avatar
mb
MarkHerman wrote:
mdeuber wrote:
I think I am missing that too. How does the "USSR declares war on Japan" get on the table in a zero player game?

Also, when Stalin bot debates, does he ...
(a) use his best card, or
(b) still attempt to hold on to his best card and use his second best card to debate

The Bots were designed for a solo experience meaning that I assumed one human. To answer your question there are times when due to the cards you might pick an issue randomly. That would be the only way sans any human intervention.

I'm still wondering about the 2nd part of this question which was not answered.

Is it a or b?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls