Subject: Phil Coulson: Man with a Plan & Loki: Trickster God rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Barber

Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmb
Two questions:

1) Phil Coulson Man with the Plan refers to fielding only a Shield AGENT and not a shield "affiliated character", correct? So I couldn't use the ability to field Nick Fury from the used pile... And I'm assuming they are always fielded at level 1?

2) Loki: Trickster God: Which of the opponent's character dice are able to be "rolled"? Can I roll a character from the used pile? I realize this power effectively can mess with an opponent's fielded character by turning them to energy, or lower level. And I'm assuming that dice stays exactly where it was when you rolled with the exception of a fielded character turning to energy and then being moved to the reserve pool?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
barberbp wrote:
Two questions:

1) Phil Coulson Man with the Plan refers to fielding only a Shield AGENT and not a shield "affiliated character", correct? So I couldn't use the ability to field Nick Fury from the used pile... And I'm assuming they are always fielded at level 1?

Since it says "SHIELD Agent" and not "SHIELD character", you are correct. And yes, fielding without specifying would always be on level 1.

Quote:
2) Loki: Trickster God: Which of the opponent's character dice are able to be "rolled"? Can I roll a character from the used pile? I realize this power effectively can mess with an opponent's fielded character by turning them to energy, or lower level. And I'm assuming that dice stays exactly where it was when you rolled with the exception of a fielded character turning to energy and then being moved to the reserve pool?

As a general game rule, according to the Rulebook, only characters in the Field are able to be targeted by abilities. And yes, if a die is rolled it stays in the same place it was, unless impossible (i.e. energy in the Field would go to the Reserve Pool). So you do risk turning their level 1 Giant-Man into a level 3 Giant-Man.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meat Man
Canada
flag msg tools
Agree with everything except the targeting bit on Loki.

The card actually says to "roll an enemy character die". So it is specifically targeting a die, not targeting a character. So I'd suggest that you can target a die that is not in the field, but likely just in the opponent's reserve pool and as long as it is a character die...so action dice are not in scope, and Sidekick dice only become character dice once they are fielded, so they couldn't be targeted outside of the field either.

This is similar to the Magneto global from AVX, and Wizkids ruled that you can target Villan dice in the reserve pool as well with that one.

I could see this being useful if your opponent has saved a character die as energy to use on globals in thier reserve pool. Could really screw up thier plans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read the Magneto/Ice Man rulings as errata, not rulings. Because of the blanket rule in the rule book, I would never extend this to other cards. With these 2 rulings,Wizkids has had a couple times to make more blanket statements, but chose not to.

Additionally, Sidekicks on their pawn face are also characters while in the reserve pool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meat Man
Canada
flag msg tools
Yes...fair point about sidekicks.

I think Magneto was a ruling...not Errata. It is not included in the Errata section on thier site anyway and there is other AVX cards in that section.

I think the distinction is the fact it says "character die" and not just "character". This is the same verbage as was used with Magneto, so I don't know why Loki would be different.

Wizkids hasn't been exactly consistent in thier rulings though, so I suppose we wouldn't know for sure unless there is an official ruling made.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paddy Schell
Germany
flag msg tools
Loki could also target dice like Loki's Scepter, which stays in the field until used. So it does make sense he says dice, without refering to the used pile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gapraid wrote:
Loki could also target dice like Loki's Scepter, which stays in the field until used. So it does make sense he says dice, without refering to the used pile.

Loki's Scepter isn't a "character die", it's an action die.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Raggio
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
pk2317 wrote:
barberbp wrote:
Two questions:

Since it says "SHIELD Agent" and not "SHIELD character", you are correct. And yes, fielding without specifying would always be on level 1.

Quote:

As a general game rule, according to the Rulebook, only characters in the Field are able to be targeted by abilities. And yes, if a die is rolled it stays in the same place it was, unless impossible (i.e. energy in the Field would go to the Reserve Pool). So you do risk turning their level 1 Giant-Man into a level 3 Giant-Man.

Hi Paul. I came to aks about "loki trickster god" and found this thread. Just to clarify for myself, I can roll one of my opponents fielded characters and if it comes up energy move it to reserve and it comes up character I keep it in the field? I then can do damage equal to energy (1/2), or the field cost? It says do damage to any target, does that include both fielded characters and even my opponent directly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Card text:
Quote:
Ability:
When fielded, roll an enemy character die. Deal damage to any target equal to the number of energy symbols or field cost rolled.

Choose a character (not action) die in your opponent's Field Zone (can include Sidekicks on Pawn face). Roll it.

If it comes up on a character face, it stays in the Field on its new level (this is NOT re-fielding it). Whatever the new Fielding Cost is (0-3), deal that much damage to one character or player (including your own if you want). Some abilities mess with "targeted" effects, that would come into play here if applicable.

If it comes up on an energy face, it is not allowed to be in the Field Zone. It moves to the Reserve Pool and remains there as energy that your opponent can use for Global Abilites at the appropriate time. However many energy symbols are showing (1-2), deal that much damage to one target as described above.

Edit to add: this happens with each Loki die you field.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.