John E
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been having a mighty struggle whether or not to add this to an upcoming order of games. I think there are a couple of things holding me back right now:

1) Card quality
From what I have read, the cardstock in the Alien and Marvel games is pretty low quality -- like about the level of seeing marks on edges and corners after just a couple of games. Does anyone have first-hand experience with the cards in any of those games and is it as bad as some made it sound? Pathfinder:ACG was the last 'big box of cards' I bought and those cards were not that great. I ended up sleeving those just because of how much those cards get handled.

2) Limited cards and missions
If I understand correctly the cards represent the characters and situations in the first and second Predator movie. How much replayability/variability is there within each scenario and card set? I don't have a good read on after three or four games of a scenario whether we will have seen all the interesting and surprising elements. For example after ten games with just the Dominion base set you are kind of ready to see some different cards and mix things up, you know? Are there rules for just putting a totally random 'scenario' together with all kinds of unexpected things popping up?

And since the cards are roughly divided between the co-op and pvp (predator vs. predator) games I guess I have the same question about the head to head game too.

Thanks to anyone who can help with out with some info!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Garrison
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) I have Alien but not any of the other Marvel Legendary games. I think I played my copy unsleeved once and then I decided to get green-backed sleeves. The reason though wasn't about quality (which I can see after several plays could get easily damaged) but for aesthetic reasons. The blue backs of the Alien cards were a little distracting. So in short, my advise would be just to sleeve them and you won't have to worry.

2) As for replayability, I don't know how much I can help here. As far as I know, there are at most four ways to play (two movies, pvp and co-op for each movie). That's the same for Alien (four movies). Plus, you'll be able to combine the two and that's enough for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Leininger

Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) I think the card quality and stock are fine. I had the same worries before buying Alien Legendary. I was surprised that the cards were in fact fine given what I had heard. However, they do not have a finish on them. I sleeve most of my card-based games and this was no exception. I think that the sleeves with a colored back (matte finish) work really well for this game, both for style (like someone else above I did not like the backs) and for keeping the cards from slipping.

2) I have only played the two of the scenarios (Alien and Aliens) in Legendary Encounters. But I have played those two scenarios many times and will play the others. It is an extremely difficult game and it takes a long time and many plays to work out a winning strategy. If you like the movies (either the Predator or Alien franchise) you will keep coming back to this game for that alone. But, on top of that, there is a lot of game to be tested, worked out, and refined. I think it has plenty of replayability just in the pre-built scenarios let alone mixing up the character decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Buchanan
msg tools
1. Could they be better? Absolutely. That said I've easily got a hundred plays of Marvel and while they certainly look played with, they are by no means falling apart. Do you expect your grandkids to play this? If that is the quality you look for I say pass. The reality is you will grow tired of the game long before the cards are terribly beat up.

2. I can only speak to Marvel and I think the longevity is amazing. Not sure how that translates to this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Knapp
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quality of the cards has pretty much been answered and I concur with it all.

As far as replayabilty goes, you have nothing to worry about. Between me and my friend we own Alien, Marvel, and three of the expansions. The games give you scenarios but there is nothing holding you back from creating your own custom play through. Not restrictive at all. We even played a game where we mashed up the Alien and Marvel game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harvey O'Brien
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
badge
...easy ...easy ...eeesay...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm on the 'card quality not good' side. Easily chipped or marked, so if you're inclined to see such things and go 'ah-ha! That's the six strike card there at the top of the barracks deck', or 'ah: I know that nick in that agenda card', then, yes: sleeve.

The Alien set gives you four scenarios to play, but each scenario has three plot elements, which can be randomised to a degree. However, the 'movie play through' version also presumes a use of standard characters from that scenario, and you can easily break canon and try different combinations, like running Hicks in Alien 3 and so forth. Predators has four scenarios as well, though it's the two movies from two different points of view. I don't have it yet (waiting), but I anticipate it being fairly customisable like its predecessor, once you're not overly bound to narrative canon. But I also concur that the game is hard (and can be difficulty adjusted), and (Alien, at least) has prove a hit with our group and shown a lot of variety in outcomes depending on numbers and players.

Really looking forward to this, which, as an added play option, as your likely know, can be mixed with the Alien set for even more variants.

Now, where's my copy? Just talking about it has me even more excited...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dylan benton
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Morph Mode wrote:
I have been having a mighty struggle whether or not to add this to an upcoming order of games. I think there are a couple of things holding me back right now:

1) Card quality
From what I have read, the cardstock in the Alien and Marvel games is pretty low quality -- like about the level of seeing marks on edges and corners after just a couple of games. Does anyone have first-hand experience with the cards in any of those games and is it as bad as some made it sound? Pathfinder:ACG was the last 'big box of cards' I bought and those cards were not that great. I ended up sleeving those just because of how much those cards get handled.

2) Limited cards and missions
If I understand correctly the cards represent the characters and situations in the first and second Predator movie. How much replayability/variability is there within each scenario and card set? I don't have a good read on after three or four games of a scenario whether we will have seen all the interesting and surprising elements. For example after ten games with just the Dominion base set you are kind of ready to see some different cards and mix things up, you know? Are there rules for just putting a totally random 'scenario' together with all kinds of unexpected things popping up?

And since the cards are roughly divided between the co-op and pvp (predator vs. predator) games I guess I have the same question about the head to head game too.

Thanks to anyone who can help with out with some info!

The card quality is crappy. I'm not a religious card sleever. I have not sleeved any of my PACG cards despite the different colored backs and none of them show enough wear to be noticeable while playing. Legendary, on the other hand, I played 3 or 4 times and already the starting decks showed enough wear that I worried they would get damaged to the point of needing to be replaced after a while. They are definitely a bit flimsier than PACG cards. The first time I played the game everyone else in the group, none of which were hobby gamers, commented on the cards. One of the guys even asked if there were covers you could buy to protect the cards.

I like my games to look played. I don't like them to look damaged. A few thousand sleeves later I can say yes, you should probably sleeve Legendary. The game is awesome in all it's iterations though, so it's worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goodnuff
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
I sleeved Marvel Legendary when I got it out of concerns of wear but have not bothered with Legendary Aliens. After 10+ games there is no visible wear on any of the cards so I don't really feel sleeves are worth it. Just my 2c.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Buchanan
msg tools
I think this is one of those cases where everyone's opinion is correct because only you know your threshold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John E
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NinjaGigolo wrote:
I think this is one of those cases where everyone's opinion is correct because only you know your threshold.

That's probably a good point; Until I'm actually handling the cards I just won't know. Thanks to everyone who weighed in.

Now to join the hordes that are waiting and waiting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Jackson
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
1)Card Quality is actually pretty good. I have seen some better quality, but these rank close to the top than the bottom. I do prefer to sleeve my card games but there are just so many cards for Legendary that due to cost and time I have chosen not too. I don't have any worries, I think the cards will last for years to come.

2)Legendary Predator feels a little more linear than Marvel legendary. If you play as the humans you pretty much play through the movie scenarios. I have only played a couple of times, but I figure after 5 or 6 times if might start to feel stale.

I think there would be a little more variety if you play as the Predators, because it becomes more PVP. You are hunting humans for the most honor points, but you can also attack other players. I figure that would be different with every play. There are also Test and Challenge cards to add other elements of challenge to the game. I have not tried that mode yet, but look forward to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls