Popular Tags: [View All]
Patar Absurdus the Shananigator
United States
Carrollton
TX
flag msg tools
"Gird Up Your Loins, Like a Man!" ~God to Job
badge
"We're put on this earth to do a job. And each of us gets the time we get to do it. And when this life is over and you stand in front of the Lord... Well, you try tellin' him it was all some Frenchman's joke." ~Betsy Solverson
mbmb
This game needs to be made into a full electronic version.

Each player would have a smart-phone app open that told them their starting role, mark etc.

The night phase would involve everyone having a little mini game pop up on their screen until it was their turn to act and after they did their "think" the mini game would pop back up. That way it would be unclear who was what role. The night phase would be super fast that way. A well made app could manage any issues with this and it could be soooo much faster than how things go now.

Just a thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out IRC bot for ONUW made by Caitlin
http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=%23playonww
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Carrollton
TX
flag msg tools
badge
"We're put on this earth to do a job. And each of us gets the time we get to do it. And when this life is over and you stand in front of the Lord... Well, you try tellin' him it was all some Frenchman's joke." ~Betsy Solverson
mbmb
JarekWarsaw wrote:

I am not sure what I am looking at.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leif The Lucky
United States
Washington DC
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
I play WIFOM with empty glasses
badge
Viking's Law: Anything that can go wrong, *SHOULD*
mbmbmbmbmb
Redward wrote:
JarekWarsaw wrote:

I am not sure what I am looking at.
The bot allows you to set roles, automates the night phase, collects lynch votes at the end and announces the winner. It's all text-based, so your proposal is a step beyond this, but it's an example of how the nuts and bolts might actually work.

Admittedly, it's not much to look at unless you're actually playing a game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
United States
Boston
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There IS one. It uses the original japanese rules and art (https://itunes.apple.com/jp/app/one-night-werewolf-for-iphon...), but it is esentially pass and play. Only assumes you have one digital device. I would rather play with a real copy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Wallis
msg tools
mbmb
Redward wrote:
it could be soooo much faster than how things go now.

The game is fast enough isn't it? Or are you playing with 12 different night-action roles and the doppleganger?

Personally, I think the night phase creates atmosphere and its fun to wake up and cause mischief while everyone else has their eyes closed. Reducing the game to just the discussion and vote would be a bad thing IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
Yeah, we find the physical interactions of the night phase useful to get the ball rolling in the day phase. (My dad loves to say he "sensed movement" at one end of the table during a given role's night phase - whether that's true or false is for us to figure out!)

Speed is not an issue for us. Maybe this is just my opinion, but a game that plays in less than ten minutes doesn't really need to be optimized for time.

I'm not opposed to a full digital version of the game, if that's what floats your boat. Personally, I'm happy with the physical game (+ moderator app) as-is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
United States
Boston
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The fun thing is that most roles can be done asyncronously. You as the troublemaker do your mischief, but the result is not registered until after the robber (and possible doppelganger) have done their stuff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Carrollton
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
The game is fast enough but the night phase is painfully dull IMHO. THe game is more fun with more crazy night roles but that makes the night phase take a long time.

I also read somewhere that players should not be able to hear each other during the night phase and that any information gained because players made noises at night shouldn't be pointed out. It is difficult to remove noise in the night phase altogether though so that would have that advantage at all.

Honestly, I am a bit surprised that people are defending the phase where everyone sits around quietly with their eyes closed and which is crazy long with the doppelganger in play. I love this game but that part is just super boring and easy to mess up for new players. An app could fix all that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Alspach
United States
Louisville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Preorder Silver now from beziergames.com
badge
Silver
mbmbmbmbmb
This will make nights much faster for experienced groups (it's an option you'll be able to turn on or off as needed):

Here's an example. In a game with Werewolves, Seer, Robber, Troublemaker, Drunk, Insomniac, and a 0:00 role timer:

Regular: 1:00

Expert Mode: 0:31

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Carrollton
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
toulouse wrote:
This will make nights much faster for experienced groups (it's an option you'll be able to turn on or off as needed):

That will help with pretty much everything other than doppleganger but exciting nonetheless!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
Redward wrote:

I also read somewhere that players should not be able to hear each other during the night phase and that any information gained because players made noises at night shouldn't be pointed out.

That's not an official rule, as far as I know. Maybe it's a house rule some people like to use, but that's their choice, not some requirement the game forces upon them.

The only rule is that you can't open your eyes when it's not your turn, and you should keep your arms to yourself to avoid bumping people. Beyond that, use whatever you can to try and deduce who the werewolves are.

There's one guy in our group who likes to make silly faces (with his eyes closed) during the Werewolf turn in hopes of making someone laugh. Nothing against it in the rules. The genius thing about One Night is that, ultimately, nothing you do is 100% foolproof. Whoever WAS the werewolf at night is not necessarily a werewolf anymore. You still have to do your due diligence in the day phase if you want to catch a wolf.

Redward wrote:

Honestly, I am a bit surprised that people are defending the phase where everyone sits around quietly with their eyes closed and which is crazy long with the doppelganger in play. I love this game but that part is just super boring and easy to mess up for new players. An app could fix all that.

Maybe I'm just a product of an older generation, but two minutes (with the doppelganger in play) doesn't seem like "crazy long" to me. As I said before, the whole game takes like 10 minutes tops; I don't see the need to optimize that. If I don't have ten minutes to spare, why am I even considering playing a game at all?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Wallis
msg tools
mbmb
Redward wrote:

The night phase is not 'crazy' long and personally i think its exciting, especially for new players. If everyone just pressed a few buttons on their phone and then instantly went into the discussion phase cold.. i think that would be extremely confusing and off-putting for new players to grasp what is going on and i think the first game or two would feel flat even in a group who knows the game.
Perhaps after playing a few rounds in a row, dispensing with the night phase might work.. but I don't see the point. To me its a bit like taking a thematic game and replacing all the nice artwork with black text on blank white backgrounds. The game is still functional.. but loses its thematic appeal.

The night phase also given the wolves/tanner time to consider how they are going to lie.

All that said, I think the app improvements with ONUV will help you a lot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
United States
Boston
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it all boils down to numbers: how much would the app cost? How much money would we earn from it? How many retail copies are not sold because of the digital version? etc...if there was a huge profit to be done I am sure an app would be in the works.

Even if someone were to do it for free, I am not so sure a digital version would give an overall profit: you are not counting the digital errors that often happen: everyone finding their phones and somehow synchronizing htem (join the same game), someone's phone running out of batteries/crashing/receiving a call, software incompatibilities, etc. Overall I am not sure you can save that much time.

Also, how do you implement the physical tokens that move around for people to claim roles? You do that with a big tablet in the middle of the board?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Carrollton
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Stewi wrote:
Redward wrote:

I also read somewhere that players should not be able to hear each other during the night phase and that any information gained because players made noises at night shouldn't be pointed out.

That's not an official rule, as far as I know. Maybe it's a house rule some people like to use, but that's their choice, not some requirement the game forces upon them.

You are correct about this. I am not sure why I thought that was an official rule.
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/17477839#17477839
toulouse wrote:
However, if a player thinks they hear something from another player during a phase, they can use that when placing suspicion on another player, though my experience is that this is a much better "lie" to out someone than an actual fact (it's what Seers will often do when accusing someone of being a Werewolf in regular Ultimate Werewolf when in reality they discover that the player is a Werewolf).

Stewi wrote:

The only rule is that you can't open your eyes when it's not your turn, and you should keep your arms to yourself to avoid bumping people. Beyond that, use whatever you can to try and deduce who the werewolves are.

There's one guy in our group who likes to make silly faces (with his eyes closed) during the Werewolf turn in hopes of making someone laugh. Nothing against it in the rules. The genius thing about One Night is that, ultimately, nothing you do is 100% foolproof. Whoever WAS the werewolf at night is not necessarily a werewolf anymore. You still have to do your due diligence in the day phase if you want to catch a wolf.

Thats not exactly accurate. The rules have the following phrase which seems to indicate that doing anything on purpose during the night phase that might negatively impact the active night player is not kosher.
"At night, players who are not active (whose eyes are closed) may not move, point, or do anything to communicate with the active player(s)."

Making funny faces is moving after all.

Stewi wrote:

Redward wrote:

Maybe I'm just a product of an older generation, but two minutes (with the doppelganger in play) doesn't seem like "crazy long" to me. As I said before, the whole game takes like 10 minutes tops; I don't see the need to optimize that. If I don't have ten minutes to spare, why am I even considering playing a game at all?

I indicated that the crazy long nature of it is due to it being super boring and dull and easy to mess up for new players. I normally play during our game days and have plenty of time.

Optimizing a game is good. Making the night phase less prone to error and swifter to get to the game part of the game is an optimization for some people (I would think most people, but whatevs).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Wallis
msg tools
mbmb
Redward wrote:
Making the night phase less prone to error and swifter to get to the game part of the game is an optimization for some people (I would think most people, but whatevs).

What part of the night phase is being messed up?
I've never had a ONUW night phase mess up since the app explains your actions so clearly.. Resistance Avalon on the other hand! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Carrollton
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Tawn wrote:
Redward wrote:
Making the night phase less prone to error and swifter to get to the game part of the game is an optimization for some people (I would think most people, but whatevs).

What part of the night phase is being messed up?
I've never had a ONUW night phase mess up since the app explains your actions so clearly.. Resistance Avalon on the other hand! laugh

I have seen the night phase messed up in various ways by new people or tired gamers. Including myself even after playing 50 times.

An app could explain everything someone is supposed to do and answer questions about what each in game role does without the person having to ask aloud or conspicuously look at the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Erfesoglou
msg tools
I've been working on a version of the game for PC in Visual Basic.

Its my first VB project and I'm doing it for a class assignment.

I think everything is solid right now except for the fact its all LAN (no internet connecting yet) and limited to 3 players and certain roles (2 WW, 1 V, 1 TM, 1 R)

I'll make a thread of it with a link to get feedback.

Here is the thread I started.
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/20789021#20789021
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls