Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Randel
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The new version of Unstable DNA allows you to receive one new species if the condition is met. Can this be an avian species? The card does not specify "non-avian," so it seems that either land or avian should be allowed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kaemmer
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem is that an avian species receives a trait, right off the bat (which is why it necessitates discarding 2 cards, 1 for board, 1 for trait). So maybe if you discard a card you can get an avian species, otehrwise I would say No.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randel
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's the reason we didn't just assume it could be an avian species. Until we find out, we're allowing only land species. But the card doesn't say that, so it just feels wrong to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The avian species buds off a non-flying variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of games like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
AmAvocet wrote:
That's the reason we didn't just assume it could be an avian species. Until we find out, we're allowing only land species. But the card doesn't say that, so it just feels wrong to me.
Well, flight didn't exist when Unstable DNA was created, and it's a promo anyway, so balance isn't guaranteed. I'd say land species only, and not even allow a discard to upgrade it. The tradeoff for Unstable DNA is a free species for the risk of it being unprotected. Allowing it to be Avian drastically reduces the downside of the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randel
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
runtsta wrote:
Well, flight didn't exist when Unstable DNA was created...
True, but this is the reworked Unstable DNA card for the new edition. It would have taken Flight into account. That's why I'm confused by the card's lack of specificity.

You make a compelling argument, though. Unless we hear something different from an official source, we'll allow only land species.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Drury
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
The only stupid question... is the one you don't ask!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I blind, or did I somehow stupidly throw them out? I didn't get any 'new' Unstable DNA cards.

I did however get some by ordering the Kickstarter Stretch Goal Pack directly from the NSG website. Maybe it came with the updated cards. How can I tell?

Could someone give me a comparison of the new and old ones?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
AmAvocet wrote:
runtsta wrote:
Well, flight didn't exist when Unstable DNA was created...
True, but this is the reworked Unstable DNA card for the new edition. It would have taken Flight into account. That's why I'm confused by the card's lack of specificity.

You make a compelling argument, though. Unless we hear something different from an official source, we'll allow only land species.

Official Source:
I'm not sure what you mean by the "reworked Unstable DNA". Unstable DNA was created when Flight was just a distant dream. The card would be too powerful if it created an Avian species. So pretend like there is an errata that says "Land" species.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randel
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoops! I was thinking it was one of the cards that had been reworked for the new edition. Mea culpa.

Thanks for the clarification!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ariel
Chile
Vina del Mar
V. Region
flag msg tools
badge
constantly thinking on variants to create and implement
mbmbmbmbmb
domcrap wrote:
The card would be too powerful if it created an Avian species. So pretend like there is an errata that says "Land" species.
If we pretend an "or discard a hand card for an avian species" errata, it would still too powerful?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
Chango wrote:
domcrap wrote:
The card would be too powerful if it created an Avian species. So pretend like there is an errata that says "Land" species.
If we pretend an "or discard a hand card for an avian species" errata, it would still too powerful?

I'm not sure. I haven't played with Unstable DNA for over a year, but off hand I would expect that to work fine. It all depends on whether your group puts "too much" food into the Watering Hole or not. Getting Unstable DNA to trigger more than a couple times with protected creatures could be a game changer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Watson
United States
Barrington
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, all, for a really interesting and informative discussion. I think that this is an excellent summary:

runtsta wrote:
Well, flight didn't exist when Unstable DNA was created, and it's a promo anyway, so balance isn't guaranteed.

And, if a promo as printed is "broken" when mixed with a future expansion, that's life in a world containing both promos and expansions. The community may well come up with amendments to the promo in the light of future expansions.

The publisher is not - and should not - be constrained in the design and development of future expansions by the text of promo cards past.

One last point: Rapid Mutation and Unstable DNA are similar in theme, but very different in terms of game design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
Brevity exceeds allocated space
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be nice if a mod could move this thread to the Flight forums.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls