Student Bodies» Forums » Rules

Subject: A few questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Allan Jørgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi everyone. Just got my hands on Student Bodies and like it alot. It's a great fastpaced game to play in between our long Zombicide sessions. However I do have a few rule related questons. If anyone can help me out. Thanks.

1. What happends when a human player moves onto a beaker/corpse token that is placed adjacent to a zombie?
A: the zombie attack is resolved immediatley and only if the player remain standing after the attack will he recieve the free action needed to pick up the beaker/corpse token.
B: the player reveals the token and then the zombie attacks.

2. For how long lasts the effect of the engergy drink (the item that provide the user with either extra stamina or extra health)? Is the boost permanent or does the stamina only last for the turn the item is used in? And what about the health?

3. The rules mention that if a player moves into a corpse or beaker token he recieves a free action to check it if he wishes to. If there a more than one token in the zone the player get to check the top token first but what about the remaining tokens in the stack? will he check them too during that same free action, assuming the tokens don't kill him? Or does the player have to spend extra stamina to move away from -and then back to the zone to recieve another free action?

4. When moving zombies, will they always move around obstacles instead of climbing onto them, even if they are allowed to move 2 zones or more?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Covert
United States
Sandy Hook
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Happy to answer...

Greasygeek wrote:

1. What happends when a human player moves onto a beaker/corpse token that is placed adjacent to a zombie?
A: the zombie attack is resolved immediatley and only if the player remain standing after the attack will he recieve the free action needed to pick up the beaker/corpse token.
B: the player reveals the token and then the zombie attacks.

-------- The zombie attacks first. You may check the space as a free action and don't need to be standing to do so. (You just can't attack from a prone position)

2. For how long lasts the effect of the engergy drink (the item that provide the user with either extra stamina or extra health)? Is the boost permanent or does the stamina only last for the turn the item is used in? And what about the health?

-------- You get either 2 Stamina or 2 Health. Like all Stamina, it is gone when used. Like all Health, it is removed when you are bitten or bashed. These are not 'duration' effects.

3. The rules mention that if a player moves into a corpse or beaker token he recieves a free action to check it if he wishes to. If there a more than one token in the zone the player get to check the top token first but what about the remaining tokens in the stack? will he check them too during that same free action, assuming the tokens don't kill him? Or does the player have to spend extra stamina to move away from -and then back to the zone to recieve another free action?

----------- You may check as many tokens as are in the stack, from the top down. It is free to do all of them. You don't have to move in and out.

4. When moving zombies, will they always move around obstacles instead of climbing onto them, even if they are allowed to move 2 zones or more?

---------- Zombies will always move in the most efficient way closer to the nearest living student. With two movement or when they ignore obstacles (both can happen) they will move through obstacles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Heuer
United States
California
flag msg tools
When a zombie card says that each zombie gets two actions, do we step through each of the zombies and give them one action, and then do the same thing a second time? Or do we make just one pass, and give each zombie two actions at once? If the latter, is this how a zombie could move onto an obstacle, or did you mean "two movement" as granted by a player card?

When a zombie is determining the nearest human, do obstacles count as two spaces or one? For a straight-line example, who's closer in this situation?
(Kenny) (Obstacle) (Obstacle) (Zombie) (Empty) (Empty) (Empty) (Emily)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fenton
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a similar question to the above (which is still unanswered). If a zombie gets 2 actions, and has an obstacle directly between them and the nearest player, do they move onto the obstacle or move around it. Moving around it will technically get them slightly closer at the end, but can the controlling player choose?

Also, if a zombie is completely blocked by obstacles (or surrounded on 3 sides such that it can't move closer or laterally), it can't do anything unless a 2-action card is played, correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Lorton
United States
Alton
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I'm gathering, non-player zombies CANNOT move through obstacles unless a Zombie Card specifically says they can. For instance, the "Billy" Zombie Card (in the "B" group) says at the bottom, "Zombies ignore obstacles this turn".

So unless a card indicates otherwise, zombies will ALWAYS go around obstacles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Siel Oren
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dsdhornet wrote:
I have a similar question to the above (which is still unanswered).

it was answered by the game's artist Curt Covert in this thread he said:
Zombies will always move in the most efficient way closer to the nearest living student. With two movement or when they ignore obstacles (both can happen) they will move through obstacles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fenton
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SissyBell wrote:
dsdhornet wrote:
I have a similar question to the above (which is still unanswered).

it was answered by the game's artist Curt Covert in this thread he said:
Zombies will always move in the most efficient way closer to the nearest living student. With two movement or when they ignore obstacles (both can happen) they will move through obstacles.

The unanswered question is whether an obstacle counts as 1 or 2 spaces for determining "nearest" (Karl's last question). I don't see an answer to that.

If a player has 2 obstacles between themselves and a zombie (Kenny), are they "nearer" than a person with 3 empty spaces in between (Emily)? Counting physical spaces Kenny is closer (2 vs 3), but Emily takes less movement to get to (4 vs 3).

If Kenny is "nearer", a zombie with 1 movement would either stay still or move up/down as a lateral move (since it cannot move "closer"). If Emily is "nearer", the zombie would have to move closer to Emily (reducing the number of hexes in between from 3 to 2)

Similarly, my question was whether you count spaces or whether you consider absolute center-to-center distance in determing "closer". A hex 3 tiles west is slightly further (as the crow flies) than a hex 2 tiles west and 1 tile northwest, even though both are 3 movement away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Heuer
United States
California
flag msg tools
I don't think Curt's reply has unambiguously answered either of the questions I asked, so I'm still waiting on those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.