Subject: Off all the microgames based on Professor Laserbooks... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Doane
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
... I believe mine is the first and the cheapest.

Background
I currently have a one-year-old girl that we're finalizing the adoption on tomorrow (yay!). As I rock her to sleep, I've been designing (and mostly failing) games in my head.

However, in the past week, I've hit upon an idea for four Flip The Table Theme microgames that could be combined into a single gauntlet of gaming. Best of all, I think the four games could fit into a single 52 card deck.

So, without further adieu, I present to you the first in the Flip the Table Microgame Madness series...

Professor Laserbooks

Your job is to assemble the phrase "Professor Laserbooks" using the most valuable Professor, Laser, and Book cards you have. Your hand order is static unless a card lets you move cards around. There's hand management and a small memory aspect. Best of all, it's under 15 minutes, so even Zee Garcia could finish a game!

I'd love to know what you think. Horrible typos? Game-breaking unbalance in the game? I'm literally all ears (it's a medical condition). Let me know and help me make this Professor Laserbooks-based print-and-play microgame the best Professor Laserbooks-based print-and-play microgame out there!

The rules and printable files are viewable on a Google doc at https://goo.gl/PHhLcz.

I'm currently beginning work on two more FTT games based on Flip and Moderator Chris. I'll be sharing them here, as well, when they are finished. I'm still trying to figure out what a Jared-based game would be.

When they are all finished, I plan on getting a nice Printerstudio-printed deck of them printed and I'll share those here as well!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Libby
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I love that this is a thing, and I will throw any amount of money (not exceeding $15), well-wishes, and dance party videos (not exceeding 15) at this project.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E. Strathmeyer
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
drewpdoane wrote:
I'm still trying to figure out what a Jared-based game would be.

I think playing WWE Superstar Showdown while watching Chikaratopia comes pretty close.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flip Florey
United States
Brewer
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drewpdoane wrote:

It would be about wrestling experts of course. Getting your degree in Slamology, Elbow-nomics and Piledrivers 101.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kaelin
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drewpdoane wrote:

There would be a deck of various characteristics for wrestlers and each player gets 3-5 of them. This is random and gives you a new wrestler each time you play. You then get to name your wrestler.

The idea that popped in my mind is like snake oil in that there would be a deck of actions, adjectives, verbs, items and the like and...

Just realized I kinda forgot to add a bridging mechanism blush

Well my gut idea was a party game where you had a hand of cards and you would play one or two to build a wrestling move and have to argue how that fits your wrestler.

I guess you could have it to where two players face off and play their moves on one another, the other players would be the refs for the round. You could add heels and good guys for additional complexity?

Well, there's a halfbaked idea I suppose. shake nor is it a micro game.

But it'd have to be designed for over the top wrestlers ala chikara pro

Another idea would be a deck with objects you have to create a crazy in ring weapon with to please the crowd. Each element has a point value and depending on the combos you put into it would affect the Vp. Not set collection perse. Each round the theme of what the audience wants to see could affect the values as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks really quite nice. You could even enter it in the next Print & Play microgame design contest here on BGG, as it's only 18 cards!

If you really do want horrible typos pointed out:
- Gameplay section, this sentence is not complete: "The game at the end of the round the last card is drawn"
- Second scoring example doesn't add up: Professor card (5) + Laser card (5) = 10, * books card (3) = 30, not 24. I'm assuming you originally had a 3-point professor or laser card picture instead.

As well as the Advanced Rules, perhaps include a Simplified Rules option where cards are played face UP to the table? Would make it easier on younger players.

Also - what's the player count? It doesn't mention it in the rules. I assume min 2, but up to what?

Congrats on the adoption by the way! Must be super exciting for you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Doane
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
njshaw2 wrote:
Looks really quite nice. You could even enter it in the next Print & Play microgame design contest here on BGG, as it's only 18 cards!

Didn't even know about this. I'll have to look into it.

njshaw2 wrote:

If you really do want horrible typos pointed out:

I really do!

njshaw2 wrote:
- Gameplay section, this sentence is not complete: "The game at the end of the round the last card is drawn"

Fixed! Your post made me realize that I was using the word "round" to mean a single turn and an entire round. I've, hopefully, clarified this by referring to "turns" and "rounds."

njshaw2 wrote:
- Second scoring example doesn't add up: Professor card (5) + Laser card (5) = 10, * books card (3) = 30, not 24. I'm assuming you originally had a 3-point professor or laser card picture instead.

That is exactly what happened. Good detective work.

njshaw2 wrote:
As well as the Advanced Rules, perhaps include a Simplified Rules option where cards are played face UP to the table? Would make it easier on younger players.

Good idea. I've added that in. Although, it kind of ruins the Books card, which let you look at a played card. But, basic variants and family-style rules usually have some sort of effect like that.

njshaw2 wrote:
Also - what's the player count? It doesn't mention it in the rules. I assume min 2, but up to what?

Last night, before I saw your comment, I realized that I never added a player count! I've only ever played it with two, so I don't know if it works for more. With the four game "Flip the Table series" of games I have ideas for, two of the ideas will really only work with two. So, this is probably a two-player game. But if people found it works with more, that's great.

njshaw2 wrote:
Congrats on the adoption by the way! Must be super exciting for you!

It is and thanks! We've had her as foster parents for 452 days now, since she was since she was six weeks old. It's nice that a judge will finally bang a gavel and tell us we get to keep her!

Thanks for all your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
drewpdoane wrote:
Didn't even know about this. I'll have to look into it.

For info, this was this year's: MicroGame Print and Play Contest [2015] Results!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Michaud
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game looks really, really neat! I am both excited and frightened to see the one with my name on it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Wiltshire
Australia
Ingleburn
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GameKnightMaine wrote:
drewpdoane wrote:

It would be about wrestling experts of course. Getting your degree in Slamology, Elbow-nomics and Piledrivers 101.

Or it could be about wrestling some experts - you face a series of enemies and have to take down nuclear physicist, a PhD in psychology, a surgeon, an architect, a child prodigy and an astronaut
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Green_wombat wrote:
Or it could be about wrestling some experts - you face a series of enemies and have to take down nuclear physicist, a PhD in psychology, a surgeon, an architect, a child prodigy and an astronaut

Wow, I would *totally* play that game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Michaud
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see it now. A deck of cards, all featuring Jared in different occupations. You could call the game "Professional Wrestling Expert and..." and each card is titled something like, "...Chief of Security Jared Hunnefeld" or "...Bargain Shopper Jared Hunnefeld."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Doane
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This Jared-based microgame is slowly expanding in a megagame! I'm in trouble!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Michaud
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules question! When a card refers to a "card," does that mean ANY card or only cards in hand?

ALSO: When playing a card face down, do you first reveal it to prove its effect, or is it on the honor system?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Doane
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FlipTheTableChris wrote:
Rules question! When a card refers to a "card," does that mean ANY card or only cards in hand?

"Cards" are the ones in your hand. "Played cards" are the ones on the table. I updated the Q & A section to explain this.

If I was a more thematic designer (or a designer at all ), these different types of cards would have more clever names!

FlipTheTableChris wrote:
ALSO: When playing a card face down, do you first reveal it to prove its effect, or is it on the honor system?

You should probably reveal them. Or passive-aggressively set them facedown and say, "If you want to know what it is, look at it yourself."

I added the "reveal" part to the "Gameplay" section.

Although, not revealing them would allow for some "Coup-like" shenanigans. But then I'd have to think up a consequence for bluffing and getting caught, as well as a consequence for calling a bluff and being wrong. Maybe if the game actually works and needs something extra, we could do that. Or maybe we'll save it for the inevitable "Detective Laserbooks" expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Doane
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FlipTheTableChris wrote:
This game looks really, really neat! I am both excited and frightened to see the one with my name on it!

The Moderator Chris game is beginning to take shape. It's a game about... moderating. You know, that tried-and-true-completely-overdone theme of moderating a podcast discussion. Its the one board game theme that's been done more than zombies or trading in the Mediterranean.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Michaud
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi! I tried this with 4, and it would definitely need more cards to work with four; so I think the player count is solidly two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Doane
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FlipTheTableChris wrote:
Hi! I tried this with 4, and it would definitely need more cards to work with four; so I think the player count is solidly two.

Thanks! I think the four-game Flip the Table series is probably going to be a two-player thing at this point. With five young kids, two-player gaming with the wife is mostly what I do!

Maybe it would be like Star Realms, where you just put two sets together to play four?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.