Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hilary Hartman
United States
GLENNALLEN
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
Just your friendly, neighborhood game player and superhero!
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up this game a short while before my recent move, as I had been looking for solo friendly Vietnam games. The premise seemed interesting, and who doesn't like Special Forces?

I took half a day and read the rules, twice. Then, last night, I set up the game. I placed my base towards the north end of the map, south of a small mountain range and in a patch of jungle. I then drew my first mission: Assassinate Potentate. I stepped away from the game at that point, thinking about mission possibilities and how to achieve this particular objective. As this was my first game, I decided against using transport vehicles and have my units hump through the bush to reach their objective. I wanted to learn the rules and apply them as much as possible before having my men hop into a Huey and land just outside of the objective.

So, this morning, I spent extra points and added a second base to the far east of the objective, and then equipped my teams with Intel and a sniper rifle.

This was how the map looked at that point. (Keep in mind, the map is oriented with the north being the left side)

At 0500 my teams took off from their base, a commander and lieutenant along for the morale. They crossed a stream to the south of the base and made for a small patch of jungle.

The commander wanted to stay out in the open and started barking at the lieutenant and the teams, both hunkered down in the jungle. His voice carried and alerted the enemy to the presence of US forces.

Three infantry units decided to see what the noise was all about. Two were directly to the east, one of them just across the stream. One was to the south. To the far west was a static unit, a watch or observation tower, which had also been alerted.

The enemy units quickly moved to intercept the teams, as seen here:

Combat was quick, furious, but the infantry troops had bitten off more than they could chew and were decimated by the superior training of the US units.

Instead of further enemy engagement, the Green Beret teams left the patch of jungle and beat feet down a nearby path, then through the elephant grasses and back into the jungle. The path took them south and west of their former position.

In their haste to make the safety of the jungle, much to the chagrin of the commander who, again, loudly protested, the teams created another stir and alerted further troops to their presence.

With the enemy closing in, a series of skirmishes took place over the next few turns, which created quite the racket and brought the teams to the further attention of even more troops. In the meantime, one battle cause a casualty to the A-Team, one to the B-Team, and the commander was killed.

The lieutenant, having had a enough of the jungle fighting, ordered the teams into the open in a clearing wherein a small village lay. Unfortunately, enemy troops awaited the US forces in the jungle surrounding the village.

The ensuing battles eliminated the B-Team, but not before the A-Team was able to counter attack and eventually breakout from the confines of the clearing around the village. Through the jungle they went, then out into the open and south.

Quietly they went, and just as it reached 0900, the A-Team moved into position in that far village and acquired their target. A simple exhale, squeeze of the trigger, and the potentate dropped like a sack of flour.

News of the assassination went rapidly across the enemy wires, and far to the north )far left, lower corner) four major units were called into action. They began their movement south, in the direction of the remaining A-Team. Meanwhile, directly east from the village where the US forces were holed, and enemy unit was alerted just across a stream.

Knowing it was foolhardy to attempt a return to the northern base, the lieutenant ordered the team to make for the eastern base, still a great distance away. Unfortunately, enemy troops responded and made their way towards the remnants of the Special Forces team, eventually ending in a fierce firefight of which the lieutenant was the only survivor. He was captured and taken to an undisclosed POW camp.

All-in-all, I really enjoyed the way the game played out and how tense it became once my teams were being followed and intercepted. Stop and fight? Make a run for it? Decisions, decisions.

Likewise, as has been stated elsewhere, this game also takes into consideration the logistics behind mission completion. It's really all about the planning.

Next time: I'm taking the Huey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Good AAR. I'll say have a helo hanging around for the exfil!
And a muzzle for the Loudmouth LT . . .

Makes me want to get my copy going on the table!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting this! I love your summaries and images along the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls