2 Posts

Timeline: Inventions» Forums » Variants

Subject: Catch-up Mechanic rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Persoon
msg tools
mbmb
I was playing the Americana and American History Timelines with my family when some of us began guessing the dates we were about to place, so I thought of a variant that will help make the game closer between those who really know history and those who may not.

Rather than drawing more cards for a player that is more familiar with history or the game, which penalizes presumed foreknowledge, try this:

If a player has more cards in their hand than any other player and they state the correct year of the card they are placing before revealing the date side up, after placing the card correctly, they may take another turn immediately. If agreed beforehand, this may go on as long as the player has more cards than any other player in hand and states the correct year before placing.

This rewards knowledge or at least lucky guessing and helps players who are behind catch up, making for closer games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Chasteen
United States
Yorktown
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice. I like this idea.

I start with one extra card when playing against my 8 year old son. We play best out of 3 games. Youngest player starts. Whoever wins plays the next game with one additional card. Left of the winner starts the following game. By the 3rd game, it's a pretty tight race and we've got to enjoy a lot of the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls