Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
They do not overlap and you could easily own both. Which you would get if only one will be based on your group, but I think Blood Rage is a little easier to get played.

To me, Arcadia Quest is much better with 4P than any other player count. Arcadia Quest is also best if you have a group that will play through the linked games of a campaign.

For those two reasons, Blood Rage might get played more if you have 2P, 3P, 5P or varying group sizes and play schedules.

That said, I love Arcadia Quest and am happy to own both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Espinoza
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blood Rage is the better game (imo). Arcadia Quest is an entertaining game with great miniatures, but it's simply too close to a dungeon crawler for my taste.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Schwartzkopf
United States
Orange
CA
flag msg tools
badge
The science of history is a great bulwark against the stream of Time; in a way it checks this irresistible flood, it holds in a tight grasp whatever it can seize floating on the surface and will not allow it to slip away into the depths of oblivion
mbmbmbmbmb
Blood rage is much better, but both are fun in different ways. I own both, and plan on keeping both, but like Max said above - Blood Rage will get played more.

Even though Arcadia Quest is the "lighter" of the two, the rules and gameplay are actually harder to jump into than Blood Rage. I'd hesitate to teach new people Arcadia Quest every time I want to play, and I'm much more likely to just find people I've played with already to play it with. But Blood Rage - I am willing to teach that at any time to any one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S P
United States
Zionsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
There's not nearly the same level of exclusive stuff for Blood Rage compared to Arcadia Quest, in case that matters to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Valk _
United States
Staten Island
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
they're two VERY different games.

I prefer blood rage, Arcadia quest actually tends to run longer than blood rage from my experience and it's just too dicey and random. Also, campaign mode has its issues, including some overpowered cards when you level.

Blood Rage on the other hand has a very nice balance, with only 2-3 cards possibly being a little "too strong", and is more strategy than luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Richardson
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't played Blood Rage yet, Arcadia Quest is one of my top 3 favorite games though. I'd probably only consider Arcadia Quest if you have a steady group of a dependable 4 people who love rolling dice and don't get hurt feelings. If you like to antagonize each other, and love cheering at unexpected dice results, Arcadia Quest is bliss.

I'm not sure what you guys are saying about it being hard to teach. There are only 3 possible dice results, line of sight is very intuitive drawing a line between center squares. Only other things to teach are that you can activate any hero, that you have to move then attack or attack then move, and how monster aggro works. That's the only tricky part I've found.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Villars
Switzerland
Eschlikon
flag msg tools
mb
My group likes arcadia quest a lot. and it plays great with 3 people, but not so with just 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Allard
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arcadia Quest sounds similar to Super Dungeon Explore. Have you played that Tyler?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Lee
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you posting on both forums? You're more likely to get "Blood Rage" as an answer here since this is a Blood Rage forum and these are 2 completely different games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Page
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
keyzersoze wrote:
Arcadia Quest sounds similar to Super Dungeon Explore. Have you played that Tyler?

I've played both. They are only similar in theme and style.
SDE is heroes vs. overlord. AQ is every man for himself. I like that in AQ players can get points by achieving game based objective or going after other players, but you have to do both (you can't win by just beating up other players).
While SDE looks like it should be a light game with a simple rule set it's not. It's on par with Descent (1st Ed.). Expect the rules are clunkier. It could just be because the rule book is pretty bad.
AQ does feel like it plays faster than SDE, although set up can sometimes take as long as a game, which is why I think a lot of people are recommending campaign mode.
I generally find AQ fun and SDE tedious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hammel
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think comparing two games with very little in common is becoming the new "sleeves?" thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Beck
United States
Beavercreek
Ohio
flag msg tools
The Electronic Eremite
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dormammu wrote:
They do not overlap and you could easily own both. Which you would get if only one will be based on your group, but I think Blood Rage is a little easier to get played.

To me, Arcadia Quest is much better with 4P than any other player count. Arcadia Quest is also best if you have a group that will play through the linked games of a campaign.

For those two reasons, Blood Rage might get played more if you have 2P, 3P, 5P or varying group sizes and play schedules.

That said, I love Arcadia Quest and am happy to own both. :)

I sort of disagree, as I love playing Arcadia Quest as a 2-player game! AQ is actually one of my top five games, largely because it is light, varied, easy to teach, and allows you to upgrade and customize your forces. But it is a light and breezy dungeon crawl whereas Blood Rage is a fairly streamlined "Dudes-on-a-map" area control game.

I can't comment on Blood Rage, as I haven't played it, but I hope it will play as well with 2 as it does with larger numbers. Like CitOW, I suspect this is a game that gets better with larger player counts, but I could be wrong (the game does compensate by blocking areas of the map off).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls