Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So yesterday the group and I planned a first play of Tragedy Looper for tonight at 7:30 (Default location is my place) Its 20 minutes later and I find out they are playing Tragedy Looper at another location, and I am not there. Pretty much a kick in the balls. Just posting this to get it off my chest. Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
They didn't try and call or text you when you didn't 'show up'?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So what happened? What was their explanation when you asked them what was up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That sucks.

Okay, so here's what you do... Try it again. Set another time to play. This go around you should have a little more information and maybe you can prevent the tragedy from reoccurring.. But even if it does, you have at least another loop after that to resolve the issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
charlie reif
United States
Glendale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mabuchi wrote:
So yesterday the group and I planned a first play of Tragedy Looper for tonight at 7:30 (Default location is my place) Its 20 minutes later and I find out they are playing Tragedy Looper at another location, and I am not there. Pretty much a kick in the balls. Just posting this to get it off my chest. Cheers.

And when they lost...they looped back to the beginning and altered the game - inviting you - and tried again? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mabuchi wrote:
So yesterday the group and I planned a first play of Tragedy Looper for tonight at 7:30 (Default location is my place).

Sounds like you assumed 'default' and missed confirming the location part of the group plan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
what a tragedy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
longagoigo wrote:
Mabuchi wrote:
So yesterday the group and I planned a first play of Tragedy Looper for tonight at 7:30 (Default location is my place).

Sounds like you assumed 'default' and missed confirming the location part of the group plan.

No, we play at my house 99% of the time

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mabuchi wrote:
longagoigo wrote:
Mabuchi wrote:

No, we play at my house 99% of the time

Did you ask where it was being held? If no, you assumed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I want to believe
badge
*distinctive theme song whistle*
mbmbmbmbmb
Make sure you find out what was up before going too crazy. One time I killed a guy because I thought he hadn't sent me directions to his place, and with his last dying breaths he gasped "check your spam fol..." Well sure enough, it was there. Boy, were we laughing about that one for a while.

I jest, but hopefully there was just some miscommunication. Maybe Ted thought Fred contacted you and Fred thought Ted had. Or maybe Susan said she would and then her two year old asked for a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and she got sidetracked.

Sorry you missed out on the game. That isn't a fun feeling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
mbmbmbmbmb
Guantanamo wrote:
They didn't try and call or text you when you didn't 'show up'?

This.

If someone is late for our game night they are barraged by texts demanding personal status & ETA updates.

There *may* also be some general questioning of their ability to function in a modern society, disparaging comments on their choice of transport and/or denial of pizza rights.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's disappointing to say the least.

Closest thing I can recall to something like this (I'd have to go back years to get an exact account) was at a convention, a couple of folks had an interest in a game I had. After finishing their current game, they take off claiming it was too late. Had I known this, I would've just gone out to grab a bite rather than settling for the snacks I had on hand.

At least I got to try another game with another group, and the next day, he did come back to play it with me, with the other person having planned to only show up that one day and wasn't available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sicaria Occaeco
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if your place is the usual default always post the location in texts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Mease
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Do you shower regularly?

2) Is your house rife with creepy wares? Maybe too small for the group?

3) Do you only serve vegan snacks and libations along with game night?

4) Do you creep on any of the ladies in the group?

5) Do you get angry/throw tantrums/take your game and go home when you lose?

I jest!! I jest!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So you were... *puts on sunglasses* out of the loop? cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Goodman
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to know how you found out about the game night they had without you. Usually you find out about it through a friend or because one of them was careless (since they may not have wanted you to know).

If it were me, I would confront them and ask why you weren't included. If they do not have a good excuse then you may want to consider finding new friends.

Honestly I find it odd that they did not text you or let you know in another way. It is possible though that everyone assumed you knew since it is normally at your place.

I do not know you or your friends so it's difficult for me to view the situation properly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Goodman
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ReluctantFr0g wrote:
1) Do you shower regularly?

4) Do you creep on any of the ladies in the group?

5) Do you get angry/throw tantrums/take your game and go home when you lose?

I jest!! I jest!!

Although you jest, you do mention things which piss people off. Usually the person doing them will not realize though unless someone tells them to get themselves in shape. The shower one in particular (SHOWER ONCE A DAY PEOPLE!!! YES IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE!!!). I have seen number (1) and number (5) and both are big deal breakers. I have yet to see number (4) although I would probably say something in that situation. I wouldn't put up with any of them though.

Whether or not the original poster deserves it, I feel for him. I have been in similar situations, and it sucks when you learn people you think are friends are not good friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Bob
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
That happened to me once and it was jus a miss communication. I had changed phones the day before and texts went to my old number.

However, have you checked they haven't replaced you with someone who looks a bit similar to you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It sucks to be in that situation (and I know, right now a friend should be here for two hours now, but he isn't, but I will hold in his favor that my cell phone is in repair since yesterday and he has no way of knowing that, so I guess he tried to contact me).

But there are some things that would be interesting to know about the situation.

1. When you play at your place, do you play your games or does everyone bring games? If you usualy play your games, the 99% at your house become less obvious.
2. Who made the appointment? Did the one organizing the game night tell you directly or did you hear it from one of the other guys coming?
3. How many people have been playing? Tragedy Looper is best with four and it can't even be played with more players? Maybe you didn't fit anymore? Obviously you should have been told about that from the one organizing the evening.
4. Maybe there was some reason that obviously had one of the other gamers need to stay home and everyone could assume you to know of it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone responding so far has assumed the OP is angry at his group. I assume he just was bummed to miss the game.

My group has a facebook list of 20 people or so who may attend any given week, and we don't RSVP or anything beforehand, so unless someone has actively said they were going to attend the event, we don't text or anything to find out where they are. If he was disengaged enough to miss the note about where the event will be, my initial thought was that the group didn't know he was attending.

Also, I doubt that the problems about his gameplay are the issue, or people wouldn't come over "99%" of the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
The OP found out 20 minutes later, so there must have been some contact either by text or 'phone.

Edit: Unless some form of psychic ability kicked in?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.