Popular Tags: [View All]
Jordan Bross
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had already preordered from an OLGS before realizing the promo PB and her cards can be had from Plaid Hat only. Any way to get these 4 cards other than ordering another copy from Plaid Hat?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At the moment, there's nothing been announced. Keep an eye on the website.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Beyke
United States
Louisville
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't allude to such things, Donny. Keep in mind no other promos for any title have been for sale on the website outside of those DOW promos. That isn't saying no, I just don't want a response open ended like that, it leads to a lot of emails. That being said, best way to hear would be to, like Donny said, watch the site or sign up for the newsletter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
August Larson
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
BTBAM wrote:
I wouldn't allude to such things, Donny. Keep in mind no other promos for any title have been for sale on the website outside of those DOW promos. That isn't saying no, I just don't want a response open ended like that, it leads to a lot of emails. That being said, best way to hear would be to, like Donny said, watch the site or sign up for the newsletter.

I don't visit the Plaid Hat website much (though that will soon now change) nor do I have access to it here at work, but aren't there also Mice & Mystics promos on that site? Of course, this is not to say this Ashes promo should or will be on the PHG site, but I think it feels like there's a possiblity it may come into supply there. If not, hopefully it shows up on the geek store...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Beyke
United States
Louisville
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
colmustard21 wrote:
BTBAM wrote:

I don't visit the Plaid Hat website much (though that will soon now change) nor do I have access to it here at work, but aren't there also Mice & Mystics promos on that site? Of course, this is not to say this Ashes promo should or will be on the PHG site, but I think it feels like there's a possiblity it may come into supply there. If not, hopefully it shows up on the geek store...

We do not have the M&M promos available for sale on the site, no. I wasn't saying that looking on the site or hoping they arrive is wrong, I was talking about saying that "there is a decent chance" isn't the best approach in this situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BTBAM wrote:
colmustard21 wrote:
BTBAM wrote:

We do not have the M&M promos available for sale on the site, no. I wasn't saying that looking on the site or hoping they arrive is wrong, I was talking about saying that "there is a decent chance" isn't the best approach in this situation.

Apologies for that, I overstepped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Beyke
United States
Louisville
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
BTBAM wrote:
colmustard21 wrote:
BTBAM wrote:

Apologies for that, I overstepped.

More emails means less time to play Ashes with you, you see. It's all for the greater good. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Reeser
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In response to the OP, I'd say your best bet is to see what you think of the game once you have it in hand. If you like it enough, and have funds to spare, order a second copy directly from Plaid Hat; that way, you'll have Dimona, her cards, an extra set of dice, and an extra set of cards (which you can use for drafting, or building a Dimona deck while keeping the other six starting decks intact, or building at least two killer decks if you go the 'custom deck' route).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Letourneau
Canada
St-Lambert
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is really frustrating though is that to ship to Canada (not the other side of the ocean!), PHG charges me 42$ for a 45$ game. I mean, really? So in the end it means that the promos are limited to US customers in practice. Anyways. Will still be buying the game. From a flgs, and with no promo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Duguayduguay wrote:
What is really frustrating though is that to ship to Canada (not the other side of the ocean!), PHG charges me 42$ for a 45$ game. I mean, really? So in the end it means that the promos are limited to US customers in practice. Anyways. Will still be buying the game. From a flgs, and with no promo.

Don't blame PHG, they don't set shipping prices! It's extremely expensive to ship outside of the US.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron M.
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
Duguayduguay wrote:

Don't blame PHG, they don't set shipping prices! It's extremely expensive to ship outside of the US.

True story. I was recently looking at mailing a 1 pound package to someone in Canada, and the most basic postage possible came in at $25 via USPS. FedEx, UPS, and DHS were all exponentially more expensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Letourneau
Canada
St-Lambert
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
Duguayduguay wrote:

I get it. What i don't get is that no alternative is made available for those outside the US to get the promos at a reasonable price... But hey. It is what it is I guess...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
United States
Fremont
CA
flag msg tools
badge
For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst, and to provide for it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Duguayduguay wrote:
I get it. What i don't get is that no alternative is made available for those outside the US to get the promos at a reasonable price... But hey. It is what it is I guess...

They did. It's the price of sleeves, borrowing a color printer, and a few useless dead CCG cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
Duguayduguay wrote:

I have ordered larger games from the US and it did not cost $42 in shipping. Clearly PHG is charging us some kind of extra fee in that amount. I got a big box full of miniatures from the US recently and shipping was under $30.

At least if they sold the promo by itself for around $10 or so, all players would have a reasonable option. Plus, we know there will probably be more promos for Ashes in the future as well, and it is unacceptable to me that these cards be "US only" for all intents and purposes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Erratik wrote:

I have ordered larger games from the US and it did not cost $42 in shipping. Clearly PHG is charging us some kind of extra fee in that amount.

Do you have a means to prove this? Are you a font of knowledge about the United States Postal Service shipping costs? You're making claims you have no way to validate. Clearly there's something about the process you don't understand.

Checking USPS postal calculator, shipping from Dallas to Toronto, ON using Priority Mail International, a medium flat rate box costs $42 and change. Feel free to check for yourself.

http://ircalc.usps.com/?country=10054
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Brennick
United States
Lewiston
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

It's possible that it might come up for sale. I had pre-ordered Dead of Winter at Cool Stuff well before the Plaid Hat site offered pre-orders, so I thought I would not be able to get Kodiak Colby, but then they offered some for sale on their site this year. I don't think it's something that you can count on happening, but it's worth keeping an eye out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
Erratik wrote:

I have ordered larger games from the US and it did not cost $42 in shipping. Clearly PHG is charging us some kind of extra fee in that amount.

Do you have a means to prove this? Are you a font of knowledge about the United States Postal Service shipping costs? You're making claims you have no way to validate. Clearly there's something about the process you don't understand.

Checking USPS postal calculator, shipping from Dallas to Toronto, ON using Priority Mail International, a medium flat rate box costs $42 and change. Feel free to check for yourself.

I can prove that I received boxes larger than Ashes for less money from the US, yes. Maybe they should look into better shipping options instead of the "medium flat rate box" you are quoting.

Also, you take the attitude somewhere else. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Erratik wrote:
kelann08 wrote:
Erratik wrote:

I can prove that I received boxes larger than Ashes for less money from the US, yes. Maybe they should look into better shipping options instead of the "medium flat rate box" you are quoting.

Also, you take the attitude somewhere else. Thanks.

Any attitude you perceive is me responding in kind. Whether or not you received cheaper packages from the US is irrelevant. You accused PHG of adding some kind of fee when, "clearly", they aren't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:

Any attitude you perceive is me responding in kind. Whether or not you received cheaper packages from the US is irrelevant. You accused PHG of adding some kind of fee when, "clearly", they aren't.

I had never communicated with you before my last post, so clearly it is impossible that you were "responding in kind". At least own up to your own behaviour instead of trying to act like I insulted you first, which I did not.

I accused PHG of charging more than they should for shipping, and I stand by that. Most Canadian gamers have ordered from the USA before, so we have an idea how much shipping costs for these types of products, and in this case the shipping fees are higher than they should be.

Good day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Erratik wrote:

I had never communicated with you before my last post, so clearly it is impossible that you were "responding in kind". At least own up to your own behaviour instead of trying to act like I insulted you first, which I did not.

My response mirrored your attitude, therefore if you think I am being offensive, then clearly you started out being offensive. I disagree that either of us were being offensive to the other, but you haven't seen it that way from the start. You choose the tone you apply to my words, not me.

Erratik wrote:
I accused PHG of charging more than they should for shipping, and I stand by that. Most Canadian gamers have ordered from the USA before, so we have an idea how much shipping costs for these types of products, and in this case the shipping fees are higher than they should be.

Actually, your words were:

Erratik wrote:
Clearly PHG is charging us some kind of extra fee in that amount.

Which isn't the same as:

Erratik wrote:
I accused PHG of charging more than they should for shipping

Perhaps you'd like to withdraw the accusation regarding the "extra fee"? It was proven false yet you you chose to move the goal posts rather than admit fault.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
Perhaps you'd like to withdraw the accusation regarding the "extra fee"? It was proven false yet you you chose to move the goal posts rather than admit fault.

I do not want to waste much more time on this, but nothing has been proven, not unless you have internal documents from PHG showing how much it costs them to ship these games. They may be using the flate rate box that you linked to, but we do not know.

What we do know, is that they are charging more than we would pay for comparable or even larger items coming from the USA. Whether that is because they are charging us an extra fee, or they simply do not feel it is worth it to explore cheaper shipping options to Canada, I could care less.

I am done with this topic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unbiased Meeple
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Back to your corners guys..

I think what we can all agree on is that shipping charges, no matter what price, will always suck.

I think a company could "secretly" charge more in the price of their game by using cheap components or setting a higher price, but making money from shipping costs seems unlikely since when the package comes in, you could see the method that they shipped it and then check the price for yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
United States
Fremont
CA
flag msg tools
badge
For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst, and to provide for it.
mbmbmbmbmb
UnbiasedMeeple wrote:
I think a company could "secretly" charge more in the price of their game by using cheap components or setting a higher price, but making money from shipping costs seems unlikely since when the package comes in, you could see the method that they shipped it and then check the price for yourself.

Not true. If they have negotiated rates, they're not on the label, and looking it up only gives you the public one. That said, I doubt the Plaid Hat store does enough business to have significantly lower rates: they got nothing but boxes at MSRP and a few promos, after all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unbiased Meeple
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
True. I forgot about lower rates.... DUH....

But still like you said, I don't think this is happening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron M.
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
FWIW I received mine in a brown box (not a flat-rate box) shipped USPS Priority Mail. Based on USPS guidelines, the box would be considered a "large" package, as one or more dimensions exceeded 12". Given the approximate weight, value, etc. involved, shipping from Dallas, TX to Canada for the same general shipping level runs $54-60 (with a significantly longer time for delivery, probably due to customs). The variance in shipping rate is due solely to the difference in online and in-person postage costs. Still, assuming online postage purchases are utilized, that's still $12 more than what PHG is charging...last I checked, a 22% discount (which is what that represents) was still a reasonable discount...so I think it's unlikely there's any buffer in those shipping costs.

Could they get it cheaper? Maybe. In what I've seen and heard from other companies/Kickstarter project creators, shipping costs are almost always underestimated. Companies that have cheaper shipping are typically (A)Eating part of the shipping costs themselves, letting the MSRP on the product pay the difference at a sacrifice of part of their profits; or (B)Packing their stuff into boxes just small enough to stay out of that "large" category (not possible for this, given the game box's own dimensions). Larger volumes of shipping could net a better shipping discount, but that requires you getting all your friends/family/enemies/coworkers/neighbors/random bypassers buying this game directly from PHG to warrant the higher volume and discounts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.