Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read mixed reviews about how this plays with two. The designer is even talking about possibly adding two dummy players in the upcoming expansion. I just picked it up in a trade and we mainly play with two. Is there any thing we can do for our first game to make it more enjoyable? Any house rules or tweaks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Myers
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
http://playtmg.com/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it plays well at the two player level, but the Icarite recruit cards are something to consider.

I have been trying different variants to deal with the Icarites. The lastest variant I tried out was to restrict the recruit card that each player flips at the begining to not be an Icarite. This helped the tunnels to be built to completion.

One more thing I have heard others have suggested for just a 2 player game (I have not tried yet) is to advance each digger of the tunnels one or two spaces before you start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
I've read mixed reviews about how this plays with two. The designer is even talking about possibly adding two dummy players in the upcoming expansion. I just picked it up in a trade and we mainly play with two. Is there any thing we can do for our first game to make it more enjoyable? Any house rules or tweaks?

The addition of two dummy players is intended to allow solitaire play. It's not being developed for multiplayer, though it may very well end up also being fully usable in multiplayer. The expansion is still in development though, so anything I write here may turn out to be wrong .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dyer
United States
Playa Del Rey
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Literally thousands of 2P games have been played on Boardspace, mostly against the robot. I agree 3 or 4 is a better game, but there must
be something to recommend 2P.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

The addition of two dummy players is intended to allow solitaire play. It's not being developed for multiplayer, though it may very well end up also being fully usable in multiplayer. The expansion is still in development though, so anything I write here may turn out to be wrong .

Any suggestions for increasing the market production using a dummy workers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
mortenmdk wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

Any suggestions for increasing the market production using a dummy workers?

In the current revision of the Automa system. The Automas select where to place their workers randomly, but they go through three different decks that changes the action space distribution (we don't have the exact distributions down yet and it also depends on which of the Automa personalities you're playing against). This also infuences their tendency to work on constructing the markets.

For the constructed markets the Automa cards specifies which faction's market the Automa will work on constructing and it will place a worker on a construction space for the topmost market that isn't already built. There's a big exception, though. If a market is already under construction anywhere, then the Automa will send its worker there instead.

Automas are always assumed to have the resources/commodities required to pay for using an action space.

That's a very brief description of how we're currently handling dummy worker placement for constructed markets. It's still subject to change, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds awesome. Please test this with two players and not just for solo. Would be nice to be able to choose between one and two dummy players to tailor the level of interaction as well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
That sounds awesome. Please test this with two players and not just for solo. Would be nice to be able to choose between one and two dummy players to tailor the level of interaction as well

I'd like to do that, but I can't promise anything at this point - as mentioned I'm not sure yet whether it will actually be compatible with the multiplayer game, you could even say that at this point I can't even be sure that the Automa will be part of the expansion or not, since until it's done and has undergone blind playtesting I can't know whether it's good enough to be included .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

I'd like to do that, but I can't promise anything at this point - as mentioned I'm not sure yet whether it will actually be compatible with the multiplayer game, you could even say that at this point I can't even be sure that the Automa will be part of the expansion or not, since until it's done and has undergone blind playtesting I can't know whether it's good enough to be included .

We play only with two and would gladly help you test an develop it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
mortenmdk wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

Awesome, thank you. I've put on my playtester sheet with a note that you're interested in testing 2-player Automa.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dyer
United States
Playa Del Rey
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
I just picked it up in a trade and we mainly play with two. Is there any thing we can do for our first game to make it more enjoyable?

Play with 3.

You, your friend, two laptops (or windows tablets).

Play on boardspace.net where the robot can be your third,
and where real players are available a lot of the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ddyer wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
I just picked it up in a trade and we mainly play with two. Is there any thing we can do for our first game to make it more enjoyable?

Play with 3.

You, your friend, two laptops (or windows tablets).

Play on boardspace.net where the robot can be your third,
and where real players are available a lot of the time.

No thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got the game to the table this weekend and were completely underwhelmed. I don't think it's a matter of player count but lack of progression the game has to offer. Once we got a few turns in it felt very receptive. The only thing that saved it form being completely horrible and boring was to treat it like a race. That was done because we were both bored but it actually seemed to make the game playable. Hopefully they can address some issues with the expansion because I think it has potential and a great theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hogue
United States
Belleville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
The only thing that saved it form being completely horrible and boring was to treat it like a race. That was done because we were both bored but it actually seemed to make the game playable.

It is a race. First to 10 stars wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EricHogue wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
The only thing that saved it form being completely horrible and boring was to treat it like a race. That was done because we were both bored but it actually seemed to make the game playable.

It is a race. First to 10 stars wins.

Most games are in one way or another but it feels like it is missing something regardless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Dew
United States
Hinesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, you're saying out loud it doesn't feel like a player issue, but if the two of you exhibit similar styles, then it *IS* a quantity of players issue.
In context, you're actually making the case for "boring" because its likely you guys were doing similar things. I think Caylus would feel the same way with two similarly-styled players. However, a race of two people IS pretty boring...better with more than two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Reynolds
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
mortenmdk wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

Awesome, thank you. I've put on my playtester sheet with a note that you're interested in testing 2-player Automa.

Any update on this? I would love to test an Automa with Euphoria given my wife is my only gaming partner

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyR wrote:
mortenmdk wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
mortenmdk wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

Any update on this? I would love to test an Automa with Euphoria given my wife is my only gaming partner

No, not at this point. Right now the focus is on the new multiplayer modules, so nothing much is happening with the Automas (artificial opponents) at the moment.

It's something I'd really like to do and I, but whether it'll make the cut is something I don't know at this point.

I'd be happy to put you on the playtester list for when/if we get the Automas ready for use in a 2-player game?

Thank you for taking an interest in this
- Morten
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Reynolds
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:
JohnnyR wrote:
mortenmdk wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
mortenmdk wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

No, not at this point. Right now the focus is on the new multiplayer modules, so nothing much is happening with the Automas (artificial opponents) at the moment.

It's something I'd really like to do and I, but whether it'll make the cut is something I don't know at this point.

I'd be happy to put you on the playtester list for when/if we get the Automas ready for use in a 2-player game?

Thank you for taking an interest in this
- Morten

That would be great, Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyR wrote:
That would be great, Thank you!

Awesome, thanks. I appreciate it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:

My wife and I just finished our first game, and it was of course a 2p. I really enjoyed the mechanics and theme, but like the OP thought the 2p experience was a little flat and jumped on bgg to see if there were any suggestions.

Part of the problem for us is, I think, we were very matched players. I would pull of a sneaky market rush only to have her own sneaky plan come to fruition immediately after. We remained lock step on star placement the entire game, and the winner pretty much boiled down to who rolled too many sixes at the end and lost a worker.

Now, I admit we only had 1 play and thats not fair to make a judgement, but one of the things that just shines thorough to me is how balanced and tight everything is. Which means that with 2 consistent and similar players the game is going to seem 'same-y'. Perhaps the combinations of Recruit Cards and Market powers will give it just enough random to give an exploitable advantage next time.

Not sure where I'm going with this other than to say that I'm going to eagerly watch the expansion threads and I'd like to add my vote to something that perhaps makes the 2p a little more... 'swingy'? random? Maybe that's the Automa or some other smart idea from your expansion thread. But I'd love to see some 2p tweaks. I like the game a lot, but I want to *love* it.

In the meanwhile, I'll get a few more plays under my belt so I have some credibility whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cafin8d wrote:
Now, I admit we only had 1 play and thats not fair to make a judgement, but one of the things that just shines thorough to me is how balanced and tight everything is. Which means that with 2 consistent and similar players the game is going to seem 'same-y'.

I played once, it was 2p, we had the same experience. I always feel silly trading a game away after one so-so play, because what if it's better with house rules or more players or just more experience or something?

But when the first play isn't fun, even if there's a likely reason, it's hard to pull the game off the shelf, and in this case I eventually traded it away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Campeau
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu brown belt under Bruno Fernandes.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grasa_total wrote:
I played once, it was 2p, we had the same experience. I always feel silly trading a game away after one so-so play, because what if it's better with house rules or more players or just more experience or something?

But when the first play isn't fun, even if there's a likely reason, it's hard to pull the game off the shelf, and in this case I eventually traded it away.

That's unfortunate. The game is so much better at higher play counts. Really, the mistake was in them saying it's a 2-6 player game. It's really a 3-6 player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
birchbeer
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
mortenmdk wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

Add me to your 2-player playtest list! My wife and I have been playing quite a bit and while we love the theme and mechanics, the Icarites and doubles rolls just seem to wreak havoc on the balance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bamonson wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
mortenmdk wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

Add me to your 2-player playtest list! My wife and I have been playing quite a bit and while we love the theme and mechanics, the Icarites and doubles rolls just seem to wreak havoc on the balance.

Thanks, I appreciate your offer and will put you on the list.

In the current revision of the expansion we're boosting the non-icarites a bit and placing workers beyond the first on a turn will cost one morale per additional worker, thereby making it less of an advantage to roll doubles/triples.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |