Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
Pharaoh's Gulo Gulo
Made by Haba
Age 7+ (according to manufacturer)

Because of the scarcity of the original Gulo Gulo, I have never had a chance to play despite looking for it for about 5 years now.

I was at Gencon 2015 and was surprised and happy to pick up Pharaoh's Gulo Gulo for $40 as well as a free set of pigs and rhinos for another fantastic Haba game Animal upon Animal.

The game is rather easy to understand. There is a board with two sections; outside the Pharaoh's Tomb and inside of it. Each of the spaces has a random tile that has a color on it. Every so many space also has a scarab on it. If you land on these spaces you collect a scarab of which you need two to enter the Pharaoh's Burial Chamber.

The game is played by either choosing a space that you already have revealed or flipping over the nearest unflipped tile. This decides what color you have to pick.

In the middle of the board is bowl. It is filled with different sized/colored balls. These have a stick with a weight on top stuck in among them. You have to pick out a ball matching your color. If the stick falls out, or you push out another ball out you have failed and have to go back to the beginning or to the front of the tomb depending on where you are. As in the original Gulo Gulo the advantage goes to the little fingers of children making the game fair for adults and kids. I feel like I spring the trap more than anyone else with my fat fingers.

If you succeed than you move to the next space on the board that matches your color for that turn.

Once you are in the tomb some of the tiles have mummy symbols on them. If you land on one of these spaces a mummy piece moves a corresponding number of space through the tomb. If the mummy goes through or lands on your space you lose a scarab.

Once a player make there way to the burial chamber if they have two scarabs then you must pull two balls in a row. If you succeed you win the game. If you fail you go back to the start of the tomb.

My 3 year old boy shows and huge interest in games. I bought this with intentions of mostly playing it with him, but am happy that it is really interesting for his eight year old brother as well.

Production wise the game is your standard Haba affair, which means very high quality components. The bowl is a chunky piece of wood that won't easily move around. All the balls have a nice layer of paint and seem as if they will handle a lot of use without much wear. The cardboard tokens are decently thick and over all the game feels well produced.

The artwork is colorful and fun. A little cartoony, which works well for the intended audience and feel of the game. I like the added detail of snake on the bowl which is known as the mummy trap.

Considering the rules are only a couple pages you would think they would be simple, but unfortunately we misunderstood the rules the first game. The confusion was in movement. You declare your movement either to a certain space or the next unrevealed tile. Then if you succeed in pulling the matching ball you move to the next space that matches that color, NOT the necessarily that space. It makes sense once you play it, but we didn't figure it out until the end of our first game when someone jumped halfway across the board in one turn. It isn't as if the rule isn't there in the book, but it is sort buried in amongst a bunch of other text and we missed it. I know of at least one other person that had this issue as well.

Fun -
Everyone in our family likes it. Here are the quotes:

3 year old - Probably, that was awesome.

8 year old - It is SUPER AWESOME!

Mom - It is a fun game to play with all of us.

Dad - Something that everyone likes, plus a mummy!

The rules say 7+ I would say it would be a little tough for the average 3 year old, but ours has been having games pushed on him by his dad and older brother for awhile so it works for him. It should work fine with most 4 year olds and up. I imagine it won't hold the 8 year olds attention for all that much longer. For me, I am happy to have a game that works for everyone.

As a game for younger kids this game is a 10 out of 10.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LSU LSU
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review. I've never been able to get ahold of th original either. My 4 and 2 year old love animal on animal, and my 4 yr old loves sorry sliders and rhino hero. Do you think this would add something new for them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
I could see the full rules being tough for a two year old, but certainly worth your time as they will grow into it. You could do away with the mummy at first and it would probably work well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aaron belmer
United States
Webster Groves
St Louis
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for the review! We picked this up at Gencon and the whole family loves it, I think it's a strictly better version than the original in every way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Luchetti
United States
Glastonbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the original Gulo Gulo and it's so great! My 3-year old LOVES it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Luchetti
United States
Glastonbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zenmazster wrote:
thanks for the review! We picked this up at Gencon and the whole family loves it, I think it's a strictly better version than the original in every way.

I have to respectfully disagree here ... For a younger audience the original version is much easier to comprehend. I also think the theme fits better with the original version. And, again for young kids, making the tile-path any way you want is very appealing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silly Syanide
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
Gamer Growing poster child, or: Why all 4 year olds should get MAX (by Family Pastimes)
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with David Luchetti. I'm sad to see the youngest gamers(-to-be) lose one of the very few games they have had that have been designed for them that are fun for the adults too, to an older audience that already has so many other games to choose from. The 3-4yo set has had, like, five good games (that don't need tweaking or dumbing down of rules). Now there are four. *sigh* IMOP this retheme is going in the wrong direction.

I'm consoling myself with the fact that

Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
I have two new 9 Card Games: 300 Spartans and Franky's 1st Christmas
mbmbmbmbmb

is running a kids' games PnP design contest [thread=https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1414982/2015-childrens-game...][/thread], with lots of great categories, even! I'll dry my tears and feast my eyes on that. Chris Hansen, gamer growers salute you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silly Syanide
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
Gamer Growing poster child, or: Why all 4 year olds should get MAX (by Family Pastimes)
mbmbmbmbmb

I've been asked to name the 4 good games I think 3-4yos have now that they have lost the original Gulo Gulo.

First of all, if you're into PnP-ing, there's the free Co-op Train Game (from 3), it's been a great success at our house. It's not much to look at, but that has not deterred any of my "test kids". @6 they still ask to play it.

Now for the buying. After years of BGG research and many hours of playtesting with 3-4 yo kids, I've concluded these are the ones worth buying for any and all 3-4yos:

* From 3: Orchard
* ---||---: Felix Farbenschaf (sadly, very hard to find)
* From 4: Max
* ---||---: Viva Topo! (back in print with less wobbly pieces - yay!)

I've put the co-ops ahead of the competitive ones, because taking losses is very hard for 3-4yos, but easier once shared by all players.

For creative kids I also recommend the co-op Princess (from 4), it has been popular at our house, but might not go over as well with less imaginative kids.

If your kid is a stacker, maybe Animal Upon Animal will work, but it hasn't seen hardly any play at all at our house, fabulous wooden bits notwithstanding. We're giving our copy to a Syrian refugee center now.

I've also got hopes for Hoot Owl Hoot! (box says from 4), but I haven't tried it myself, and since "my kids" (my 1 kid and his friends) are all 5+ now, I probably won't be testing it either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W M
United Kingdom
Rugby
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I've just added a geeklist of the games we are enjoying with our 3 year old (and younger sibling) Games to Play With Young Children (1 and Up!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.