7 Posts

Magic Realm» Forums » Realmspeak

Subject: Undo function? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: mrjr_rsp [+] [View All]
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only just started to explore Magic Realm via playing RealmSpeak and I was wondering if there is some Undo function available (perhaps by activating one of the countless options)?

When playing I'm still making a lot of mistakes and it would make things a lot easier if I could just Undo a combat turn or a game turn.

E.g. since it's allowed to record illegal actions for a day, there's no indication or warning given, if I accidentally do so, wasting the entire day and in the worst case resulting in imminent death.

Similarly during combat, I'm not only struggling with the combat rules but also how to use the interface correctly. In some turns I somehow failed to target an opponent, picked the wrong chit, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I know, the only undo in realmspeak is saveing and reloading the game.

The realm (and realmspeak) is unforgiving, for sure. The good thing about realmspeak is it makes sure the rules are followed exactly. The bad thing is that it doesnt tell you those rules.

Recording an illegitimate turn and dying in realmspeak is a learning experience. But, luckily starting a new game is quick.

Try saving at the start of each turn, then going back a day or two if you die, see if you can figure out what you should have done.

Anyway, welcome to the realm. It's a big adventure to learn and play, then a whole other one to play well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
jhaelen wrote:
Similarly during combat, I'm not only struggling with the combat rules but also how to use the interface correctly. In some turns I somehow failed to target an opponent, picked the wrong chit, etc.

I'm certainly not a beginner, but I also find RealmSpeak's combat interface to be totally non-intuitive and frustrating. With RealmSpeak, I try to always save the game before each battle because when (not if) I accidentally click on the wrong thing, it's the only way to recover and try again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the different perspectives. I learned to play using realmspeak, which was a brutal teacher. Cant tell you how many times I died when fighting an enemy I had no chance at losing to, becayse I forgot to assign targets.

As a result, the combat flow is pretty well locked into my brain. Going through those menus so many times I just remember the steps and theur sequence. For me, it helped more than flowcharts.

But, Jay, I can definitely see your perse
pective, "of course I was targeting the troll, its the only thing in the clearing!"
With a physical game you can move the pieces around a bit to visualise the outcome, and certain steps in combat just get hand-waved through. Like how in your tutorial, you mention battles that experienced players wouldnt bother setting up, just roll to see how many chits to fatigue. And that is certainly practical, but not really reasonable for beginners and/or computerised simulations.

I havent played around in the "cheat" mode, but it might have an undo-type function.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Schacher

Spring
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmb
You are allowed to record an illegal move because it might be legal when the time comes to execute it.

For example, you might record a move through a hidden path or secret passage before discovering it, hoping that the prior search is successful, or you might record a move to an unconnected clearing expecting to enchant the tile and making the clearing accessible.

Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodRob
United States
Culpeper
Virginia
flag msg tools
While primarily used for killing vampires, a wooden stake to the heart is also highly effective against most other opponents.
badge
Everybody wants to be a Game Designer but nobody wants to be a Game Designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
The game Autosaves at Birdsong of each day.

It also Autosaves during the turn as well but to correct a mistake you'll usually have to restore back to Birdsong of the day.

As Jay mentioned, you can save whenever you want as well.

My most costly mistakes seem to involve Movement. I plan on energizing a spell to help with movement but I click the "next" button a little too quickly and then I'm somehow dead!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whew, lots of responses, great!

I'll have a look at the cheat mode.

But I guess, it will probably boil down to 'save early, save often'. Good advice never gets old, thanks all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.