Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Johannes Schäfer
Germany
Koblenz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As there are few comments on strategy I share some first ideas about A-H roles in WEF....

1. Opening – "Not even the Japanese attacked like us"
an austrian officer wrote down after interrogating a russian pow.
In contrast to the situation in East-Prussia there is no textbook advice how to handle the A-H forces in August 1914, just the need to make three attacks at odds 2:1 or better. One idea is to make one good attack in the Bukowina, form a defensive "square" to the west (2424 to Przemysl) – and leave a big hole in the center. The good attack (4:1 +1) would be against the russian corps in 3328 with the austrian division moving to 3428 to provide the concentric modifier. Austrian corps would be concentrated in 3228,3229 and any loss can be absorbed by the division. The downside of this attack is being easily put oos by the Russians.
The idea of the western square is to create a continuous line and to make stacks of two austrian corps for the attacks so that casualities create no additional holes. The center hole is ugly but russian troops have some space to traverse and I did not intend to stop them before the Carpathians.

2. Later use - "I don't know what it is, but if we fight without the Germans, nothing goes forward"
a staff officer's remark in 1915.
After surviving the russian onslaught, I am still unsure what to do with the Austrians. The reachable cities to bring the Czar down seem to be Kovno, Vilna and Minsk (and Lodz, Warsaw). So the offensive role of the A-H seem to be to bind russian troops, causing casualities and perhaps to send some of them north into Russian-Poland to fullfill losses while attacking with the valuable Germans. I have still to encounter the Brussilow-Offensive but it is a long way from the front in eastern Galicia to Budapest/Vienna or the necessary victory places in A-H.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls