Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silidus
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
Most quests in Descent (assuming OL or Heroes don't make any terrible tactical mistakes and OL cards/plot deck are decently suited for the hero party) are usually very balanced, but every once in awhile you will get a terrible die roll or good combo right at the beginning and it will lead to a run-away victory for one side or the other.

I had one last week on "Into the Darkness, Encounter 2" from SoN. First turn heroes moved the warrior out and into the light source near the hazard in the first room. Next they moved the mage... WEB TRAP. Shadow Walker, Hexer and Alchemist all immobilized and in the dark.

OL turn, 2 heroes in darkness fail their checks, spawn 1 hybrid master and 1 hybrid minion next to the heroes. Master Hybrid sprints to next to the torch in the bottom room. Rest of the monsters (Hybrids and goblin shamans) start wearing down the heroes. Next turn the shadowmancer tries to catch the Hybrid master but stops at the pit.

OL turn Master Hybrid picks up the torch and throws it in the pit. Locked door is removed, play a blinding speed on the Warrior (fails both), rat gains 6 movement points and sprints to the second torch. Heroes are left in blackness fighting monsters in the starting room and OL secures a turn 3 (may have been 4) victory.

Other than that, most quests I have played in SoN or in the Hero/Monster Pack side quests have been exceedingly close, usually real nail biters right down to the final move or doing a back and forth where both sides think they are clearly going to win... and end up just going at it till nobody has anything left and it all comes down to a single attribute test.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norm Al
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AnimalMkIV wrote:
The Scout (Silhouette)used a crossbow to hit Sir Alric and move him out of the way, used her heroic feat to double move & search, found the key straight away and bolted out the exit.

Ouch, that sounds really rough. Looks like stellar rolls for the heroes, and blast is an OLs worst nightmare when using smaller creatures. I'm sure this probably wouldn't have saved you, but Sir Alric is Unmovable (http://descent2e.wikia.com/wiki/Sir_Alric_Farrow)

Ability text: Unmovable: This monster may choose to ignore any game effect that would force it to move.

Although I haven't played that quest, there might be something quest related that means that Sir Alric can be moved. /shrug
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Lindblom
msg tools
I played Saradyn In Flames as the Overlord the other day (and won). To be honest a lot of it was luck, the heroes kept doing these miraculously bad rolls just when it mattered, leaving the Master Zombie at 1 health which allowed him to immobile Elder Mok, resulting in Elder Mok falling down really early on. The travel step gave me a special card that granted 2 movement points to a monster of my choice, and I drew both my Dashes fairly early.

However, despite that, I grew a little overconfident during the brawl in the bottom, and could very well have lost the fight if had dragged on any more. I think if the heroes had been in better shape when they fell down, they might very well have beaten down most monsters right away.

The major issue for the Overlord is that the heroes always get the first turn of combat down there, which means that if they save their heroics, potions, and fatigue, they can unleash quite an explosive beatdown on the monsters.

I'm unsure on how to deal with that, but I suspect making sure the heroes don't all jump down in the same turn helps a lot. Using Dark Charm, Tripwire, and other traps that ruins mobility, is the key to getting one of them down "too early". That means the heroes won't be able to enter into that big brawl in peek condition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brown
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually won this quest as the OL by having to choose, right at the end, one of three tokens to flip. If I chose wrong, I lost as they would just win on their next turn. Luckily I chose correctly and won!

My personal strategy, which bought me enough time to win, was to use Immobilise - web traps, zombie grabs or whatever. Basically, try to get one of them left on a tile that Avric was going to leave that turn. I managed to get Andira Runehand falling into the pit by herself (which also meant her passive ability wasn't frustrating me as always). It worried them enough that they started dithering a little, allowing me to chip away, reveal more tokens.

Eventually they were all down in the 'bottom' level and doing better than I thought, but I was able to rally enough to get one last chance. Down to the wire, proper Descent-style.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls