Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gregg Keizer
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can an activated Supreme HQ move units that would not normally be able to move because, for instance, they're in a pocket completely surrounded by enemy units?

I understand that non-Supreme HQs can only move units within Command Range, which cannot be traced through "enemy-controlled hexes" (Rule 5.3).

But the rules on SHQ Supreme Moves say nothing about Command Range, or tracking a path to the unit. Rule 5.61 says, "...these moves can be used to move units that are located **anywhere** on the mapboard..."

Call me confused.

Been playing assuming that SHQs could move units in a pocket, allowing Unsupported Combat to replicate break-out attempts.

Thanks much for any help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty M
Ireland
Fermoy
Co Cork
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You have been playing entirely correctly. SHQs can indeed activate units anywhere on the board, and are often the only way to activate units in a pocket, as you say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gkeizer wrote:
Can an activated Supreme HQ move units that would not normally be able to move because, for instance, they're in a pocket completely surrounded by enemy units?

Yep, that's what "anywhere on the mapboard" means!

(The only other way to move units in a pocket is if an HQ in the pocket activates, but I believe it was Oscar Wilde who said, "there's only one thing worse than not being able to activate an HQ in a pocket... and that's being able to activate an HQ in a pocket.")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dammit, spent too long screwing with my Oscar Wilde quote.

I believe it was Oscar Wilde who said, "there's only one thing worse than hitting submit too quickly... and that's not hitting submit too quickly."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Keizer
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, everyone, for the quick reply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty M
Ireland
Fermoy
Co Cork
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
I believe it was Oscar Wilde who said, "there's only one thing worse than not being able to activate an HQ in a pocket... and that's being able to activate an HQ in a pocket.")

I love this. An erudite witticism which speaks a profound truth. Positively Wildean.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.