BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Please help me choose rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Yanko Peyankov
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
Hi Folks,

I am relatively new to board games, but I am very enthusiastic about it. For the past two years I have played above 60, which is not much, but still something. So, here is the deal, I have been wondering between several games I want to play with my wife. I am looking for deck/pool building, worker placement game type. Here are my initial choices:
- Orleans - I am very hyped about this game. I love the artwork (not the box, the inside components) and the theme. I watched several reviews and it is in my top list
- Viticulture - The theme and the art grabs me. Not sure whether the mechanics are cool
- Dominion - believe me or not, I have never played that game, although I have read about it all. What I dislike about the game is the art. Very ugly in my view
- Pay Dirt - love the theme and somehow the mechanics, but I am not sure if it is a cool game for two
- Alien Frontiers - looks cool and simple, but I am not sure it is fun to play with two.

My wife is a huge fan of Super Motherload, Ubongo, Looney Tunes, SMallworld. So I am looking for a game not so complex in terms of rules.

I am awaiting your good comments meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of your list I have only played Dominion but we love the game. I don't really mind the art but I can see where you are coming from. The gameplay speaks for itself though and should take your mind off the art. We play it two player and three player and both options work great. We also found that when playing with the regular rules it became a race to just collect the money/gold cards but when we raised the price of each of the VP related cards by 3 it forced us to rely more on the action cards which makes for a more interesting game.

Also, we enjoy Marvel Legendary and I'm picking up Eminent Domain tomorrow. Both are Deck-Builders with some slight dfferences. We are also fairly new to board gaming so you will probably get some more advanced info on the other games, I'm sure.

Good Luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have not played Orleans or Pay Dirt, so can't comment on those. I'm not a fan of Alien Frontiers, especially with only 2. Viticulture is quite good, but I would definitely recommend Dominion as the best choice for relatively new players. It plays quite well with 2 and great with more.

For worker placement, I would highly recommend Lords of Waterdeep as the best choice for your first WP purchase, and it is quite good with 2.

For a new suggestion, I would offer Suburbia. Great with 2, we have played it a ton - just the right weight when my wife and I don't have time or brainpower to play some of our heavier choices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.