Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Can my character be healed against my will? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andras Nagylaki
Hungary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the last game we played I drew the Masochist Objective card, so my goal was - besides the main objective to be complete - to have a character with 2 wounds at the end of the game.
The others saw that I was in 'trouble' so they healed me although I said it's not necessary and other stuff.
Can the medicine card be played on someone who doesn't want to get healed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathias Heilmann
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I remember correctly you have to ask for the medicine card yourself. Others can't force you to take their stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah. I think medicine only heals your survivors.

In order to give a card to another player (cards given must be played), the other player must use the request action on their turn. There is no "give card" action that another player could take to give you a card on their turn.

You can choose to not request on your turn, or request and just heal a different survivor from your 2 wound guy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say medicine cards can't be played on someone who doesn't want to get healed since the wounded player would either have to request them or if handed off to him/her, that player would have to choose to use the medicine card during his/her turn. That being said, if the Doctor, during her turn, used her power to heal you, then since it's her action/power I don't think you could avoid it...

I ran into a similar situation in a game a couple of weeks ago. I had the Lone Survivor objective and the turn before I "sacrificed" Forrest Plum to gain a morale leaving me with just Sparky...I was all set when, on the last turn, a Crossroads card popped up allowing the player whose turn it was to give another player a new survivor...someone suggested that I should receive it since I only had one character, but I said no and suggested another player who had just one...the person exercising the Crossroads card gave the extra survivor to the other guy and I dodged a bullet...but if she had given the extra to me, I don't think I could've refused and I would've been screwed...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathias Heilmann
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
otha62 wrote:
That being said, if the Doctor, during her turn, used her power to heal you, then since it's her action/power I don't think you could avoid it...
True, if the doctor heals you, you can't really do much about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
otha62 wrote:
but if she had given the extra to me, I don't think I could've refused and I would've been screwed...

You cannot refuse healing from the Doctor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Kitto
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mb
You all need to reread the medicine card again. you can heal your own survivor or a survivor that shares a location with one of your survivors. so you can heal someone else with a medicine card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathias Heilmann
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
taylor20k wrote:
You all need to relate medicine card again. you can heal your own survivor or a survivor that shares a location with one of your survivors. so you can heal someone else with a medicine card.
Wow, you're completely right. It's been a while since I last played...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andras Nagylaki
Hungary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
taylor20k wrote:
You all need to reread the medicine card again. you can heal your own survivor or a survivor that shares a location with one of your survivors. so you can heal someone else with a medicine card.

Yep, this wording was the problematic part in this situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Masochist is definitely one of the tougher secret objectives. And it's not like the other survivors are just trying to heal you to be nice -- when survivors die, morale goes down. So it's in their best interest to keep everyone healthy.

I think you just have to avoid the doctor and players with medicine. And if they do manage to heal you, you thank them profusely, but then go put your survivors in danger again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls