Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Tudor
United Kingdom
Malvern
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A new X-Wing Core Set has been sighted, based on the upcoming Force Awakens movie.

Posts on the FFG forums have been taken down rather sharpish, so I won't post the images directly to BGG but you can see them in the article linked below.

http://www.polyhedroncollider.com/2015/08/star-wars-force-aw...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Chamberlain
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good find. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Culp
United States
Gillette
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1420242/not-sure-how-reliab...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sigh. So now in addition to still needing to buy the "classic" core set and a myriad of expansions, I'll have to get this now too.

Hehehe...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon Morris
Canada
Fergus
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This may just be a pass for me, unfortunately. I'm going to get *another* 2 TIEs with the Assault Carrier. Plus there's the consideration of spending money on the Carrier after just getting the Raider.

I just don't think *my* collection needs it. But that said, what a great entry for new(er) players to get!

(And honestly, who knows, I might just cave and get one farther down the road).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Tudor
United Kingdom
Malvern
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been debating getting a 2nd core set for some time, to get some more TIEs, an extra X-wing and more dice (because lets face it 3 aren't enough). This was the incentive I needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Reynolds
United States
mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wahoffelmadenga wrote:
I've been debating getting a 2nd core set for some time, to get some more TIEs, an extra X-wing and more dice (because lets face it 3 aren't enough). This was the incentive I needed.

I would wait and see. If this is real I would assume these are different from the "standard" tie fighter. The same with the Xwing. My Speculation would be that they work within the same factions but will be a different class of some sort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Thomson
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is the end; hold your breath and count to ten; feel the earth move and then; hear my heart burst again
badge
"We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." - Tennyson
mb

It will be nice to have another set of templates. Oh, and the new ships, of course!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hugin wrote:
This may just be a pass for me, unfortunately. I'm going to get *another* 2 TIEs with the Assault Carrier. Plus there's the consideration of spending money on the Carrier after just getting the Raider.

I just don't think *my* collection needs it. But that said, what a great entry for new(er) players to get!

These /are/ different TIE Fighters, not just repaints. Stats, action bar, upgrades, pilots, etc are all different.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
Hugin wrote:

These /are/ different TIE Fighters, not just repaints. Stats, action bar, upgrades, pilots, etc are all different.

-shnar

Though they don't appear to be the 'cog' wing model version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Thur
Germany
Weitersburg
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Hugin wrote:

Or for those who didn't go "all in" on the old sets. With only one old base set so far, that's finally enough dice and more ships. Add a single X-wing or Tie expansion and you have a lot of options to play (swarms of "old" X/Ties, swarms of "new" X/Ties, a mixture of new/old).

It's a great offer to add both variety and volume to the existing X-wing universe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis McCarthy
United States
Idelwylde
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But what about those of us that bought 3 core sets already?!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brutilus wrote:

We will have to make Epic TIE Swarms with 12 each of TIE/LN and TIE/FO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Airborne Engineer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brutilus wrote:
Just be happy you didn't buy four!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm hoping these are two new factions....First Order and Resistance, or whatever the final names are in the movie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Hatch
Australia
Mudgeeraba
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
That would seem kinda goofy if you can fly Empire Ties vs First Order Ties...

I'd say they're just a clunky addition to the current factions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waspinator
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ladofdestiny wrote:

Well, mirror matches of TIE vs TIE are already a thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tala Mare
msg tools
mb
TheWaspinator wrote:
ladofdestiny wrote:

Well, mirror matches of TIE vs TIE are already a thing.
I think his point was the broken time frame

tho that's been a case since day 1, when Han Solo killed Han Solo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waspinator
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not necessarily a problem to have much older ships flying alongside newer ones. Real life shows that many aircraft have very long service lives. Also, EU stuff like the KOTOR series really drives home the concept that the Star Wars universe is technologically stagnant. New TIEs aren't necessarily much better than old ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Gravett
United States
Kansas City
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So it looks like the the T-70 X-wings have Boost, suggesting that they're more like an arc-dodger than the T-65s. How would that change the balance of the original core set?

Also, it's probably a given that T-70s and TIE/fos will come in their own individual expansions, just like X-wings and TIE/lns. I may buy a reboot core just to have it, but it probably won't be necessary for competitive play. The question is, is BB-8 exclusive to reboot cores

Also also, new kind of upgrade icon there. I guess it's some kind of electronics? Sensors or communications maybe? The icon doesn't look like BB-8 so it probably isn't some kind "rebooted astromech." It could imply that Resistance and First Order are new factions, like Illicit is specific to Scum; or it could be like System Upgrade upgrades.

It's also interesting that we're seeing T-70s before we're seeing ARC-170s.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Tudor
United Kingdom
Malvern
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
swankidelic wrote:

I don't have any reference for this but I was under the impression that FFG do not have the rights to any of the ships from Episode 1 to 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
The best things in life aren't things.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wahoffelmadenga wrote:
swankidelic wrote:

I don't have any reference for this but I was under the impression that FFG do not have the rights to any of the ships from Episode 1 to 3.

Thankfully.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IZIDORO JUNIOR
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
I found interesting that the image of the back of the box with the game's description there is a part that speaks of the inclusion of advanced rules.

For me, that do not play in tournaments, this is very, very, very interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lunar Sol
msg tools
mb
TheWaspinator wrote:
It's not necessarily a problem to have much older ships flying alongside newer ones. Real life shows that many aircraft have very long service lives. Also, EU stuff like the KOTOR series really drives home the concept that the Star Wars universe is technologically stagnant. New TIEs aren't necessarily much better than old ones.

Z-95s are a thing after all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lunar Sol
msg tools
mb
salamanderjunior wrote:
I found interesting that the image of the back of the box with the game's description there is a part that speaks of the inclusion of advanced rules.

For me, that do not play in tournaments, this is very, very, very interesting.

If you look at the bank movement template, there's an icon for Signor's Loop on it. I suspect the Advanced Rules mean they've collected all the expansion rules, so the rulebook will contain things like Signor's Loop, Bomb dropping, Large/Epic? ship rules and the like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   |