Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Dotzenrod
United States
Novi
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So this game looks awesome, but I do not think I would ever be playing it with more than two people. I have read a few threads where people mention 2 player play is fine, but I was wondering if people think it would be worth buying purely for 2 player games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Cannaday
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Podcast On iTunes!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played 2 players multiple times and really had no issues! Some of the Michigan cards will say things like attack the second player to your left which can get weird. But the fact that you always get to choose one out of three anyway makes it a non-issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
I play it 2-player all the time with my daughter, and it's never been a problem. Not as much interaction as with more, but it's still fun. I still want to come up with a good set of "smarter NPC" rules to use for 2-player games to help mimic a 3rd player (the built-in ones are fine for what they are, but kind of have a one-track-mind). But such a "smart" NPC isn't really all that necessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The big problem with 2 player is that if one player gets a lead and a stronger ship, there's no chance of players ganging up to rein in the leader. This would be especially noticeable if the player with more money turned that into a nasty attacking ship and just kept blowing up the other player over and over.

If you avoid playing that way, probably not a big problem.

Quote:
I still want to come up with a good set of "smarter NPC" rules to use for 2-player games to help mimic a 3rd player (the built-in ones are fine for what they are, but kind of have a one-track-mind).

I've made a set of "Rivals" for solo and co-op variants that work pretty well, but I haven't felt like I've got them formatted nearly nicely enough to post on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Lovell
United States
flag msg tools
mb
This guy wrote up his thoughts on 2 player games. I'd think it sums it up pretty good.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1287884/two-player-adventur...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lenny Raaymakers
New Zealand
Wanganui
flag msg tools
I haven't played this game EXCEPT with two players. And it one of our absolute favourites! We're in no hurry to try it with more, though I'm sure the extra player interaction is great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scrooge McDuck
msg tools
mbmbmb
This game plays great 2 players. As sandbox, you can play however you like and tweak it so it works for you. I play long games of adventure, exploration and trade with my 10yo daughter, making our own stories, on 21 original +24 additional tiles, our games may stretch to up to a week! We love it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
We're about to play our first game (just the base game) this weekend with two, any advise or variants we should try?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
We're about to play our first game (just the base game) this weekend with two, any advise or variants we should try?

The main issue with 2p is not enough ships flying around. So we use some house rules to get the NPCs out earlier than they otherwise would:

- Enforcer comes out when 2 non-outlaw planets are revealed and patrols between them. Only switches to patrolling 2 lawful planets once 2 are out.

- Scoundrel comes out when either outlaw sector is revealed.

- Merchant comes out when 2 non-outlaw planets are revealed and flies between them. Switches to official route when 2 planets on route are revealed.

And a couple house rules to stop common abuses:

- Once you sell a couple cubes of a good, put one of the cubes near your board as an indicator of last sold good. Can't buy/sell that one again until you've bought and sold something else first.

- Can't get 1st time bonus for 2 jump gates in one turn.

Good luck and have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome thanks. Are the rules for NPCs in the base game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Awesome thanks. Are the rules for NPCs in the base game?

Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
P&P RPG>Tabletop>Sports>VideoGames
badge
I love all kinds of games and competitions.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I still want to come up with a good set of "smarter NPC" rules to use for 2-player games to help mimic a 3rd player (the built-in ones are fine for what they are, but kind of have a one-track-mind). But such a "smart" NPC isn't really all that necessary.
Something like this is coming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.