Popular Tags: [View All]
Xavier A. Perez
Argentina
Ciudad Autonoma de Buenos Aires
CABA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Each color for a character's name will identify a given player. I don't remember some of the character's names, will edit later. In some cases I will refer to a player by the name of their main (IE: most used) character.

Me: Arthur (Principal) and Ashley (Construction worker)
Player 2: Jenny Clark (Waitress) and Buddy (Fitness instructor?)
Player 3: Rod Miller (Truck Driver) and Janet Taylor (Nurse)
Player 4: Mike Cho (Ninja) and David Garcia (Accountant)
Player 5: Harman Brooks (Park Ranger) and Sophie Robinson (Pilot)

No, this is not about a game that was botched from the start.

We were playing 5 players in the Raiding Party scenario, non-hardcore, RAW traitor probability.

Things were doing mostly OK. For some reason, we had many survivors in the colony during the game (fuel didnt come up and we were all scared of rolling dice, also the objective required people in only two locations) and I started to deplete the School with the Arthur and Ashley (she went there to barricade), while another player went for the Police Station with Jenny Clark, mostly searching for guns but soon enough it was clear that he was plowing through that deck faster than anyone else, and the Sophie Robinson went there to help.

We got lucky with the crisis, first turn was tools and all the junk was put in, second turn was 12 zombies at the colony and we let that happen, since the player with Jenny Clark had both tactical rifles attached on Buddy, and Mike Cho went to the School and found a bat, allowing Ashley to go back to the colony to barricade and kill zombies with "Beginner Martial Arts". Third round, the crisis was to put three zombies in the Supermarket and library, and they were both empty, so we let that go too.

The player with Jenny played the Janitor as a Survivor 1, so he managed the waste as well.

To put Ashley at the Colony I needed fuel, and the player with Jenny gave it to me as long as I gave him a tool. I said I didn't have one but I would as soon as I could, and tried to explain that if he needed it in hand it wouldn't work for his objective, but he was adamant that I must give him a tool, so I figured he needed it equipped. I promised, and we kept going.

Come the fourth turn, crisis was food, I was second to last and the player with the rifles was last. Arthur would deplete the School on one die in my turn (having found the plans) and Jenny would deplete the Police Station on her turn. Mike Cho's player told Jenny Clark's that he had a tool, and he would give it upon request to him on Jenny's turn.

Sophie's player did a very weird turn, leaving some of his guys out to die, but I was more worried about the last player, because whatever damage the Pilot had done, I would be able to counteract.

On my first die, Arthur picks up the Megaphone, clearing the School. As promised, I said to Jenny that he could have it, but I explained (again) that it's a disposible item so he had to use it rigt then.

And there, right there, began the best 20 minutes of DoW I've played.

His faced changed, as he realized he wasn't going to make his objective, no matter our good will, unless he got lucky and found the tool he needed on the last two cards at the police station. He claimed that he would still do it, but I didn't trust him. The situation at the colony was under control, and I still had both my dice to send Arthur there to finish the deal, and I asked if anyone had fuel. There was two fuel amongst the players, and they offered it. So I proposed to Jenny: Arthur would go to the Police Station and take the two cards there, with one fuel. With the other fuel, Jenny would go to whereever he wanted, and search where he felt he had the better shot at finding what he needed.

He didn't take the deal, said he was not going to be left out of the win, and we had a huge argument. After he had said that, I knew I couldn't let it reach his turn, traitor or not. We voted to exile him, and we did.

He showed his non betrayer objective, and picked up an Exiled objective to be the player with the most survivors, and have the Colony win. Since he had picked up the Janitor, and the only other player with extra survivors was Sophie, who had let at least one of his men out to die, he was extremely happy as he picked it up.

But now, he has to move out of the colony with Buddy and the Janitor.

There was a question as to weather he could, at that point, request fuel for the move he needed to make. Not wanting to check the rulebook, we said yes. Since he was winning now, he cut a deal with Rod, he'd provide the fuel for the move, and Buddy would use his rifles for the benefit of the colony, killing zombies in the Police Station wich would be overrun.

He uses the fuel on the Janitor, so he has to roll Exposure with Buddy... and there comes the first tooth.

So, now the rifles are gone, and Jenny is no longer winning.

Still, the colony must carry on, and I must go to the Police Station and finish the deed. Luckily, some fuel had been offered by Sophie... but when I ask for it, he denies it.

Once again, we need to discuss exiling a colony member, this time, the stakes are higher because if he is just stalling for time (or being a jerk) we're doomed.

I start to discuss this, but Rod says, "look, why are you so hung up on exiling him? You still need to roll the die and do what you said you'd do... or are YOU the traitor?"

My reasoning was that Sophie was at the Police Station, so a Tooth there would bring us down two morale instead of one, but I relented, we weren't in imminent danger of loosing, so I rolled... and it was a blank.

I took the last two items from the deck, and used the Megaphone to draw one zombie out of the Police Station, thus securing Arthur's safety. We did the math and figured that the death of Sophie's survivors (two out of his three) would not be enough to drop the morale to zero, because I had overcontributed to the crisis and was able to pay for the colony's food (depleting the School by yourself may not give you much, but it does fill you up with food), so we chose not to exile him.

It is Jenny's turn, and he performs a search with the Janitor... and finds a Survivor 2. He draws the Soldier, putting his survivor count at three, and with the death of Sophie and Harman at the end of the game, he became a winner as well.

Final tally:

Me: Arthur (Principal) and Ashley (Construction worker) Colony Objective win: Germaphobe (No wounds)
Player 2: Jenny Clark (Waitress), the Janitor and Thomas Heart (Soldier) - RIP: Buddy (Fitness instructor?) Exile Objective Win (Colony objective completed + More survivors than others)
Player 3: ? (Truck Driver) and ? (Nurse) Colony objective win: Have 2 Books in hand
Player 4: Mike Cho (Ninja) and David Garcia (Accountant) Colony objective win: Hypocondryac (2 Medicine in hand)
Player 5: Annaleigh Chan (Lawyer) RIP: Harman Brooks (Park Ranger) and Sophie Robinson (Pilot)
Traitor objective defeat: Burn it all (Or something like that, 4 barricades and fuel)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clement Tey
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to clarify something. I'm aware you're playing a variant (not sure if it's in the rules) but the game is only for 4 players with one character each, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You get two characters each and can have more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavier A. Perez
Argentina
CABA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
princemousey wrote:
Just to clarify something. I'm aware you're playing a variant (not sure if it's in the rules) but the game is only for 4 players with one character each, right?

Not at all, each player starts with 2 survivors, and the game supports up to 5 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
There was a question as to weather he could, at that point, request fuel for the move he needed to make. Not wanting to check the rulebook, we said yes.

Yeah, I don't think that's possible. Requesting items is an action, and I don't think you can do an action in the middle of resolving an exile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavier A. Perez
Argentina
CABA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
randomlife wrote:
Quote:
There was a question as to weather he could, at that point, request fuel for the move he needed to make. Not wanting to check the rulebook, we said yes.

Yeah, I don't think that's possible. Requesting items is an action, and I don't think you can do an action in the middle of resolving an exile.

I guess RAW you'd be correct, but moving is also an action that you perform in your turn, yet the exile opens a window up for it to happen during another player's turn.

The rulebook goes something to the effect of "following all normal movement rules", and I interpreted that to mean that he was allowed, admittedly without giving it a lot of thought.

I'm not saying this was THE right call, just that it seemed reasonable at the time, and that going with that was better than starting a discussion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls