Eric Bridge
United States
Shawsville
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If we got tired of these 11 characters and wanted to add others, are there some good ones from the Add-On packs for the Skulls & Shackles and Wrath of the Righteous? We don't have the money to buy those additional games and their adventures, but we may have enough for the other character packs (which unfortunately each include a character we already have too). But my fear is that the later games added mechanics that are not in the base game, and that this would be reflected on the new characters also.

So has anyone used any of the recently released characters in the original adventures? Thanks for your advice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Fleming
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are just looking for extra characters, you can download the character sheets for all of the Class decks (28 new characters) for free here: http://paizo.com/products/btpy914x Most of them can be used in any adventure path.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Crockett
United States
Bridgewater
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
if money is an issue, you can download the character sheets from Paizo from any of the released character packs, print them and just proxy those characters in (some of them play off of keywords you might not have, but not many)

also, the character pack versions of RotRL heroes are different, same name, different abilities and role cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From WotR:
Adowyn, Crowe, Seoni, Shardra would all work. Adowyn and Shardra have cohorts that they are supposed to be able to use, but those come in the character add-on deck as well.

From S&S:
Damiel, Feiya, Lini, and Oloch would all work, though Damiel wouldn't be as powerful as he would be in S&S, due to the lack of alchemical cards late in the game in RotR. But I think he'd still hold his own.

Another thing you can try, is to give your RotR box a second life with the Shield of Rannick. You can read about it in the Paizo blog and also on Ron Lundeen's site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bridge
United States
Shawsville
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for those great ideas. I'm interested in the new set of scenarios.

I'm also excited about being able to print the character sheets from the website, but I don't see that option at that link. Do I need to create an "account" first to have that option?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Fleming
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ebridge wrote:
Thanks for those great ideas. I'm interested in the new set of scenarios.

I'm also excited about being able to print the character sheets from the website, but I don't see that option at that link. Do I need to create an "account" first to have that option?

Yes, you have to have an account, but it's fairly quick and easy. Just click on the link at the top "Sign In".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bridge
United States
Shawsville
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I've looked at all the character sheets. Like I said, all I physically own is ROTRL and all adventure packs for it.

Would you rate the following characters as either 1) Don't try it in ROTRL, or 2) Should work OK?

Ranzak - His "Klepto" role talks about "plunder"?
Jirelle - Mentions "swashbuckling, ships, and pirates"?
Liriane - Mentions "firearm" and "ship"?
Damiel - Mentions "alchemical" (someone mentioned there might not be enough of these) and "firearm"?
Feiya - mentions "aquatic, blessing of Hshurha and blessing of Pharasma"?

Alain - mentions "mounts"?, also has a cohort (don't know what this is)
Balazar - has a cohort, and specializes in cohort with Eidolon trait
Enora - boon with a "book" trait (are there enough of these?)
Adowyn - does a lot with cohorts
Arueshalae - has a cohort and mentions "Arueshalae's gift"?
Shardra - has a cohort

Even without these 12 characters above there are some interesting other new characters that don't seem like they'd be hampered in ROTRL. Thanks again for your great advice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Winter
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion:

Should work OK:

Ranzak - don't take the "plunder for completing a scenario" power. For the "when you close a location, get plunder" power, just roll 1d6 to see what you get (1 - weapon, 2 - spell, 3 - armor, 4 - item, 5 - ally, 6 - choose one of the above).

Feiya - Blessings of Pharasma exist in RotR; if I recall correctly, her only power that mentions Hshurha or aquatic is a role power that you just wouldn't take.

Enora - There are only a couple of books in Runelords, but she has plenty of other powers. Should be fine.

Will work OK if you don't mind proxying their cohort:

Alain, Balazar, Adowyn, Shardra - Cohorts are similar to allies thematically, in that they represent a character's animal companion/familiar. Each character with a cohort has their own unique cohort card, which they add to their hand after their initial draw. Since the cohort can be shuffled into their deck, you'd need to print/write down their cohort on a card-sized paper. This should work ok if you sleeve your cards, but otherwise it's going to cause issues.

Handicapped but playable:

Damiel - He'll have a much harder time, since his whole schtick is that he can reuse alchemical items. In Skulls and Shackles, he has all kinds of wonderful potions (including bombs that are used for combat) to work with, and the RotR potions are much worse. One of Sajan's roles tries to do the same basic thing with Runelords potions, and it's playable, so you could try him.

Lirianne - The problem is that since her powers are for firearms, which don't exist in RotR, she's going to be essentially just a worse Harsk. If you want that, go ahead.

Arueshalae - For starters, you would have to proxy her cohort (which IS Arueshalae's gift). In Wrath of the Righteous, she's a character that gets added as a replacement option in Box 3, and comes with 3 loot of her own. She won't work as well without them and in the RotR environment, where some of her powers are much less applicable.

Would not recommend:

Jirelle - She leans very heavily on swashbuckling, ships, etc. In RotR, neither of her base powers will do anything and neither will most of her role powers. But she's the only one you listed that I'd consider completely unusable, and I'm sure someone will contradict me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bridge
United States
Shawsville
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So it's looking like these later characters are easily incorporated into ROTRL:

Ranzak, Feiya, Alahazra, Seltyiel, Oloch, Enora, Imrijka, Crowe, Ekkie.

And no, unfortunately I do not sleeve our cards, so Cohort characters might be a problem.

But I had a question about Shardra, whose cohort is apparently "Kolo"? Kolo, or cohorts in general, are not mentioned on her card anywhere. Is she really harmed either not having Kolo, or just having him represented next to her?

Anyway, I'm excited (and thankful) that they make these available online, because it really takes the number of playable characters for even the base set up to 20 or 21! It also speaks well of the system that they are able to make so many unique characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also the Class Deck characters, so that's dozens more. With only a few exceptions nearly every character released would work fine in Rise of the Runelords. You just might have to restrict yourself to one of the Roles since they seem to have one more generic than the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Winter
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as Kolo goes, I suppose Shardra would be playable without him, but she wants him: he reveals to add 3 to knowledge checks and recharges to add d8 to any character at the location's check against a barrier or to close the location. And he's an extra hit point, because cohorts don't actually count as in your deck but start in your hand anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bridge
United States
Shawsville
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I printed out the 21 character sheets that I think would work for the first Adventure Path.

The players will be my wife, my son, and I. My son thinks he wants to be Crowe. I'm not sure whom my wife will pick of the new characters. The ones I am considering are: Alahazra, Seltyiel, Oloch, and Imrijka. See any good pairings there?

Also, how do you all feel about the later versions of the ROTR characters? (Harsk, Kyra, Valeros, Seoni, Seelah, Lini, etc) Do you consider some of those later incarnations "better" or more fun than the originals?

Thanks again for all the great advice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ahearne
United States
Ayer
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Class Deck Kyra is more combat-focused than RotR Kyra, while still being able to heal. I'm playing her through Season of the Righteous, and I'm enjoying it.

Class Deck Harsk plays very similarly to RotR Harsk. I think the Class Deck version is better because he fights with a d10 and has a role power in which he can use his add-d4-plus-X ability for his own location.

RotR Lini is one of the best characters in all of PACG. I don't think any other Lini will rival her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any of those pairings would probably work fine but some a little better. I would say that Seltyiel is kinda similar to Crowe. Oloch can be really good but takes a few power feats to get there. Alahazra would always be a strong choice because of her amazing scouting, but Rotr has weaker Divine attack spells and she can't really fight without them. So maybe Imrijka? She can carry a Cure and use totally different weapons than Crowe so that would be good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls