Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

If you are past the beginner stage and want to improve your game, Dan Barlow's Winning Cribbage Tips has something for nearly everyone. We have a used book store here in town that is bigger and better than many regular bookstores that I've shopped in, and this text was a rather lucky find for me not so long ago.

This is not the type of book to simply sit and read through, unless perhaps you are a very strong player reading for review and enjoyment. There are 50 tips in the book, averaging about a page and a half of explanation for each, and each tip is written as if it were a single article in a daily or weekly newspaper column.

There are 10 basic tips, 10 intermediate tips, and then in the real meat of the book there are 15 advanced tips and 15 expert tips. Of course some of the tips will interact with others, often as two different sides on the same coin, but each is written as a stand-alone topic that can be read and absorbed on its own. Some sample titles are "Pair When the Danger Is Least", "Note the Cards Opponent Doesn't Have", "Offer Opponent 15 for 4", and "Holding 3 Cards to Opponent's 1, THINK!"

As I read through the book, there were a few tips that I knew, a few that I knew something of but that were made more clear, some that gave me genuine aha moments, and a good number that I've read and reread several times already, seeking to fully comprehend and make them part of my game. A lot of the topics covered are things that will be seen in nearly every game, while others may come up a little less frequently but still often enough to be worthwhile to study.

Dan Barlow has written quite a few books on cribbage, and this is definitely the best and most useful book from him that I've seen so far. I think that any player who gets this book and takes time to read, think about, and absorb each tip, and who is able to apply that knowledge during a game, will be a formidable opponent indeed.

cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I didn't think to check before, but Winning Cribbage Tips is available on Amazon, where it has a 5-star rating. You may visit that page by clicking here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.