Recommend
48 
 Thumb up
 Hide
44 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization» Forums » News

Subject: Sneak Preview 1 - Some card images rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


First of all, check out (or should that be Czech out), the new artwork and updated graphic design

Now, lets look at the cards themselves. I chose these three cards for a reason.

Joan of Arc has been changed and I love love love the new ability, not simply because the effect it has on the game, but because of the thematic tie-in with one of the things that Joan was known for.

Development of Civilization. I'm showing this for two reasons. The first to show that every event card now has unique artwork on it. And the second is that this card replaces the original "No event card".

Mobile Artillery. Again, showing this one because the tactics cards also now have unique artwork. I'm also showing this one for another reason, but you'll have to try and work that one out for yourself for now
42 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thibaut Palfer-Sollier
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
Mobile Artillery. Again, showing this one because the tactics cards also now have unique artwork. I'm also showing this one for another reason, but you'll have to try and work that one out for yourself for now
I know I know I know!
Spoiler (click to reveal)
The antiquated bonus may seem weird, as Cavalry and Artillery cannot be antiquated units in age II. Hello new Genghis.


The +1 culture on Joan looks new. It's not currently implemented on BGO. Shouldn't it be a "?" with the military symbol?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patar Absurdus the Shananigator
United States
Carrollton
TX
flag msg tools
"Gird Up Your Loins, Like a Man!" ~God to Job
badge
"We're put on this earth to do a job. And each of us gets the time we get to do it. And when this life is over and you stand in front of the Lord... Well, you try tellin' him it was all some Frenchman's joke." ~Betsy Solverson
Avatar
mbmb
Sooooooo pretty!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Robert
France
Thiverval-Grignon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice design
Is there already a release date estimation ?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoiler (click to reveal)
I suppose there is a way to get age 1 artillery
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thibaut Palfer-Sollier
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mfl134 wrote:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
I suppose there is a way to get age 1 artillery
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Age I artillery wouldn't suffice. You would need age A Artillery or Cavalry to trigger the antiquated bonus under the standard rules.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
Mobile Artillery. Again, showing this one because the tactics cards also now have unique artwork. I'm also showing this one for another reason, but you'll have to try and work that one out for yourself for now
Obsolete tactics with age two tactic requiring only cavalry and artillery - probably a change to how tactics go obsolete?

EDIT: Sorry, missed all the spoiler tags, but are they really necessary?

Also, great art! Nice design... this was something I was quite worried about, but they look good.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mfl134 wrote:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
I suppose there is a way to get age 1 artillery
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Not sure if there is, but that wouldn't make it antiquated anyway. No, it's because the new Genghis can give you age A cavalry.


ninja'ed
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:
mfl134 wrote:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
I suppose there is a way to get age 1 artillery
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Not sure if there is, but that wouldn't make it antiquated anyway. No, it's because the new Genghis can give you age A cavalry.


ninja'ed

I should have said before age 2. blush
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mfl134 wrote:
grant5 wrote:
mfl134 wrote:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
I suppose there is a way to get age 1 artillery
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Not sure if there is, but that wouldn't make it antiquated anyway. No, it's because the new Genghis can give you age A cavalry.


ninja'ed

I should have said before age 2. blush
Not sure what you mean. Age I units are just fine for age II tactics. You have to have a unit 2 ages behind the tactic to trigger the antiquated penalty, so an age A unit in an age II tactic, or an age A or I unit in an age III tactic.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snowden Wyatt
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Joe Lansdale Rules!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:
mfl134 wrote:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
I suppose there is a way to get age 1 artillery
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Not sure if there is, but that wouldn't make it antiquated anyway. No, it's because the new Genghis can give you age A cavalry.


ninja'ed

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Or perhaps, since the tactics card has elephants on it, maybe a new leader (Hannibal)?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
snowman882 wrote:
grant5 wrote:
mfl134 wrote:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
I suppose there is a way to get age 1 artillery
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Not sure if there is, but that wouldn't make it antiquated anyway. No, it's because the new Genghis can give you age A cavalry.


ninja'ed

Or perhaps, since the tactics card has elephants on it, maybe a new leader (Hannibal)?
Are the elephants wearing horse costumes?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Super love the new art. Sorry if this is covered elsewhere, but how do I get the new edition?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
YoshiFR wrote:
Very nice design
Is there already a release date estimation ?
Essen 2015 if all goes well.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
YoshiFR wrote:
Very nice design
Is there already a release date estimation ?
Essen 2015 if all goes well.

Do you know if I'll be able to order it directly from CGE? Or if there's a preferred vendor? I'm in the US and won't be at the show.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sirgalin wrote:
Do you know if I'll be able to order it directly from CGE? Or if there's a preferred vendor? I'm in the US and won't be at the show.
I'm not sure to be honest. We are working hard to get it ready for Essen and are likely picking it up from the printers only a few days before the show

I'm not 100% sure on the US distribution of the game, but I'm sure there will be something being discussed.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
sirgalin wrote:
Do you know if I'll be able to order it directly from CGE? Or if there's a preferred vendor? I'm in the US and won't be at the show.
I'm not sure to be honest. We are working hard to get it ready for Essen and are likely picking it up from the printers only a few days before the show

I'm not 100% sure on the US distribution of the game, but I'm sure there will be something being discussed.
So it's not a certainty that it's going through EGG? Is EGG being considered?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:
So it's not a certainty that it's going through EGG? Is EGG being considered?
Whilst I work for CGE, I don't know everything, and I'm not privy to a lot of the dealings. I just do my bit
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Speer
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Gravity Falls
badge
Remember, reality is an illusion, the universe is a hologram, buy gold, bye!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:
PaulGrogan wrote:
sirgalin wrote:
Do you know if I'll be able to order it directly from CGE? Or if there's a preferred vendor? I'm in the US and won't be at the show.
I'm not sure to be honest. We are working hard to get it ready for Essen and are likely picking it up from the printers only a few days before the show

I'm not 100% sure on the US distribution of the game, but I'm sure there will be something being discussed.
So it's not a certainty that it's going through EGG? Is EGG being considered?

What this guy ^ said. I was wondering the same thing, I didn't like the timing of the kickstarter (or any news around it) for EGG's Through the Ages, so I was hoping this is direct from CGE.

Not that I won't buy it! It looks fantastic.

edit ninjaninja'd
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In any case, I've owned all the previous editions and regularly play on BGO. I have money and want to buy your game! Just tell me how.

I hope distribution gets hammered out before Essen. I'll import if I have to, but it'll be a bummer if I pay double only to see it in stores a week later.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patar Absurdus the Shananigator
United States
Carrollton
TX
flag msg tools
"Gird Up Your Loins, Like a Man!" ~God to Job
badge
"We're put on this earth to do a job. And each of us gets the time we get to do it. And when this life is over and you stand in front of the Lord... Well, you try tellin' him it was all some Frenchman's joke." ~Betsy Solverson
Avatar
mbmb
The guy that writes most of the news articles reported that it would be handled by EGG in America. He indicated that it was the official plan. Not sure where the link is though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the food icon and the rock icon on Development Of Civilization are reversed. (Assuming the discounts at the bottom are meant to go in the same order as the clauses they correspond to, it should go

1 food [implied: if you increase your population]
or
1 rock [implied: if you build a building]
or
1 science [implied: if you develop a technology]
2 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Redward wrote:
The guy that writes most of the news articles reported that it would be handled by EGG in America. He indicated that it was the official plan. Not sure where the link is though.

If that's the case, then I'll buy directly from someone in Europe. I won't support EGG and would encourage CGE to end their relationship with them. I had hoped they were getting their arms around doing their own international distribution, like what happened with Tash Kalar.

But from what Paul said above, it sounds like things are still up in the air.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:
mfl134 wrote:
grant5 wrote:
mfl134 wrote:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
I suppose there is a way to get age 1 artillery
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Not sure if there is, but that wouldn't make it antiquated anyway. No, it's because the new Genghis can give you age A cavalry.


ninja'ed

I should have said before age 2. blush
Not sure what you mean. Age I units are just fine for age II tactics. You have to have a unit 2 ages behind the tactic to trigger the antiquated penalty, so an age A unit in an age II tactic, or an age A or I unit in an age III tactic.

I meant if I had said there is artillery before age 2, then I would have made a correct statement.

I understand the tactic antiquation.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mfl134 wrote:
I meant if I had said there is artillery before age 2, then I would have made a correct statement.

I understand the tactic antiquation.
Maybe I'm having some kind of mental block here, because that still sounds like a wrong statement to me. The artillery would have to be before age 1 (i.e. age A) to antiquate the tactic. An age 1 artillery would be just fine. Am I misunderstanding you somehow?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |