Hide
7 Posts

Vs System 2PCG: The Marvel Battles» Forums » Variants

Subject: EDH for Vs. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeffrey Neal
msg tools
Just trying to kick around some ideas as far as a way to incorporate and combine the old Vs. system cards and the new system. Thought I'd start a thread and see what we come up with.

EDIT: I played around more with some rules, and even some cards I think would/ should be banned.
1.) Main Characters are the commanders for a player’s deck. They start the game in play, but each time they are KO’d it takes +2 resource points to bring them back into play.
2.) Main Characters level up just like in the 2PCG, but when they reach their max number of wounds they are KO’d. When they re-enter play they revert back to their level 1 form.
3.) If a commander/ main character would be put into a graveyard, exiled, put into a player's hand, or deck they are considered KO’d.
4.) If a Main Character is KO’d it is returned to the command zone (outside of play) until it re-enters play.
3.) With the exception of the new basic locations, no two cards in the deck can be the exact same (you can have multiple Captain America's, but not the exact same version, for example).
4.) Decks consist of exactly 100 cards.
5.) A player’s deck may consist of two factions – one representing the original system and one representing the new system. His/ her main character must be of the same affiliation as one of these. Unaffiliated characters are considered a faction and count towards this total. At the start of the game all players must state who their factions are. A player may use characters all from the same faction if he chooses to. A player may decide to crossover/ team-up these affiliations, but is not required. They are not considered to be of the same affiliation (can’t team attack or reinforce) unless this happens.
6.) Characters may team attack (like in both versions) and reinforce like in the original system to prevent breakthrough damage.
7.) All non-2PCG characters are considered support characters with a max of 1 wound.
8.) When a character reaches it’s total of wounds it is considered KO’d.
9.) Players begin with 40 endurance (or we could go with 50 in a nod to the original game).
10.) If a player is dealt over half of his damage by a single player’s main character, or his endurance reaches 0, then that player loses the game.
11.) Locations in a player’s resource row activate (they are not flipped over) and ready on that players next turn, or if a plot twist or power allows.
12.) Each player’s deck may consist of any number of characters, plot twists, locations, equipment as long as it does not violate Rule #3.

Banned cards (In addition to those already banned from play)
Carnage, Symbiote Surfer, MHG
Bat-Mite, #1 Fan, DWF
Galactus, Devourer of Worlds, HoG
Captain Marvel, Champion of Magic, IC
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a couple of problems with trying to mix and match the old cards with the new, probably the biggest of which is the fact that the new VS 2PCG has a much flatter number curve than the old VS CCG had, meaning that the cost 5+ cards are, numerically, quite a lot weaker than the cards from the original game, making mixing the two much less than a great idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Neal
msg tools
I've definitely noticed that about the newer characters, that they're a lot weaker as far as comparing the same recruit costs to old and new. One idea - all older/ pre-2PCG characters are 1 wound. That would at least make the new 2 wound support characters more appealing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Neal
msg tools
Another idea to possibly make the 2PCG support characters more playable in this format - all locations exhaust, and recover each turn(even the new 2PCG locations which are supposed to be flipped over after being used). That would make the 2PCG support characters super powers more impressive. Nick Fury's stats are really unimpressive, but if you could use his power every turn, and have Avengers reservists in your resource row, now he's not looking so bad. Of course you have to keep him alive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Stick
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A question out of my ignorance: I am not actually a Magic player, never have been, never will be. So, my question is two-fold, What is EDH format? And why should VS system have this format?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Neal
msg tools
MasterGM wrote:
What is EDH format? And why should VS system have this format?
EDH stands for Elder Dragon Highlander. It's just a different format from MtG that I thought might work. I threw the idea out there as a way to try and incorporate cards from the new and old system. I definitely think it could work, but would probably need a lot of fine tuning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EDH - or Elder Dragon Highlander, AKA Commander - is a format where you are limited to a single copy of a given non-basic-land card, build a 100 card deck, and have a Commander that can be brought into play multiple times throughout the game (granted at an increasing cost if it is destroyed multiple times). It has proven quite popular as it provides a very different play style than standard MtG.

As for why it should be included in VS 2PCG... Probably much the same reasons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.