2. Namy
3. Pip
4. Tinyears

Team Red:
1. Mach
2. Peer
3. Craig
4. David

Here is a pdf of the official rulebook, which should address many of the questions.

PBF Rules

Codenames is a team-based party game with limited communication between a team's spymaster and his fellow agents. The spymaster changes from round to round. The first team to win two rounds wins!

Teams will be randomly assigned at the start of the game. Team 1 will be Blue and Team 2 will be Red.

At the start of each round, each team will select a spymaster. A 5x5 grid of 25 words (codenames) will be given to the players. The two spymasters will be told secret information about those words, which they will need to convey, with limited communication methods, to their teammates.

I will randomly assign colors to the 25 codenames as follows: 9 Blue/Red, 8 Blue/Red, 7 White, 1 Black. I will GeekMail both spymasters the assignment of each word to its color via GeekMail, so that they know which codenames belong to their teams but the other team members do not. All the other players know are the 25 words in the grid.

Each team's turn is broken up into two steps: giving a clue, and pointing at words.

1. Spymaster gives a clue.

On a team's turn, the spymaster must give a one-word clue and also say a number, which tells their teammates how many codenames are related to that clue. For instance, they might say "Safari 3." That means that there are three codenames that are related to the word "Safari". They can say ONLY those two things: one word and one number. They must bold this to make it clear that is their official clue. After that, they are done talking for that turn.

Firm Rules
1. Your clue must be about the meaning of the words.
(e.g. You can't use your clue to talk about the letters in a word or its position on the table. GLAND is NOT a valid clue for ENGLAND. You can't tie BED, BUG, and BOW together with a clue of "B 3".)
2. Letters and numbers are valid clues as long as they refer to meanings.
(e.g. EIGHT 2 is a valid clue for SPIDER and FIGURE.)
3. The number you say after your clue can't be used as a clue.
(e.g. CITRUS 8 is not a valid clue for LEMON and OCTOPUS.)
4. You must play in English. A foreign word is allowed only if it can be reasonably used in an English sentence.
5. You can't use any form of a word that has not yet been identified on the grid.
(e.g. Until BREAK has been guessed, you cannot say BREAK, BROKEN, BREAKDOWN, etc.)
6. You cannot say part of a compound word that has not yet been identified.
(e.g. If HORSESHOE is in play, you cannot say HORSE, SHOE, UNHORSED, SNOWSHOE, etc.)
7. Rhymes are only valid when they refer to the meaning of the word.
(SNAIL is a valid clue for MAIL, but it is not a valid clue for SCALE.)
8. No acronyms or abbreviations.
(CIA may seem like a great clue, but it is not one word. Neither is LOL, UK, Ph, etc.)
9. No googling/using the internet for a word. If you have a question on a word, plese ask the mod.
10. Only one word clues - this includes proper names. For example John Smith 2 is not a valid clue. You may say John 2 or Smith 2.

Expert Clues
1. ZERO clue - You are allowed to use 0 as the number part of your clue.
(e.g. FEATHERS 0 means "None of our words relate to feathers.") If 0 is the number given, the usual limit on guesses does not apply.
2. UNLIMITED clue - You may also say "Unlimited" instead of a number for your clue. (e.g. FEATHERS UNLIMITED) If you do, the usual limit on guesses does not apply. The disadvantage is that your team will not know how many codenames relate to the new clue.

2. Agents point to words.

Now the rest of team must select words to guess at, one at a time. Players must bold this pointing action to make it official (eg, "Point to Elephant"). They can guess up to a max of one more codename than the number stated by the spymaster.

Once they point to a word, the moderator or one of the spymasters reveals the color of that word. If the word is the color of the team, the team may continue guessing words (up to the number given in the clue). If the color of the word is either White, or the other team's color, the turn immediately ends and the other team takes a turn.

If the color is Black (Assassin,) then the round immediately ends and the other team wins the round.

The team must make at least one guess; after this, the team may stop at any time by posting the word "Pass" in bold in the thread.

The first team to point at all 9 (or 8) of their words wins the round. The Blue team has one more word than the Red team, but always goes first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Natalie
United States
flag msg tools
You know I love the players and you love the game
badge
Let the games begin
mbmbmbmbmb
Blue Team

Red Team

Blue Spymaster

Red Spymaster

Mod

Mod

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Natalie
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Let the games begin
mbmbmbmbmb
Mod Stuff

Round One

9 Blue Remaining sugar
8 Red Remaining

RED
BLUE
GREY
BLACK

Google spreadsheet with blue always being the 1st to go.

Word List - https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1383878/word-list-future-mo...

xxxxxx
xxxxxx
xxxxxx
xxxxxx
xxxxxx
xxxxxx
xxxxxx
xxxxxx
xxxxxx
xxxxxx
xxxxxx
xxxxxx
xxxxxx
xxxxxx
xxxxxx
xxxxxx
xxxxxx
xxxxxx
xxxxxx
xxxxxx
xxxxxx
xxxxxx
xxxxxx
xxxxxx
xxxxxx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You sure you want the teams to switch colors and not just switch which color goes first? It caused some stress on other PBF's when folks thot they were blue but they were in fact red, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Natalie
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Let the games begin
mbmbmbmbmb
isellsunshine wrote:
You sure you want the teams to switch colors and not just switch which color goes first? It caused some stress on other PBF's when folks thot they were blue but they were in fact red, etc.

Can you please clarify? Its my first time running Codenames and I'm still working on changing the rules and any and all advice is welcomed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Johnson
United Kingdom
Boston
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Natalie
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Let the games begin
mbmbmbmbmb
CraigRJ wrote:

For you, always!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Reynolds
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
Normal namyzarc (that's an oxymoron)
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, sounds straightforward enough. I'll try it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Rqthstar
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
Come together, together as one
badge
Since dawn of time the fate of man is that of lice
mb
look, I'm just gonna stalk namyzarc and play in whatever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Rqthstar
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
rathstar wrote:

need to make that push through to level 20 and what not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to play, please!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Natsume wrote:
isellsunshine wrote:

Can you please clarify? Its my first time running Codenames and I'm still working on changing the rules and any and all advice is welcomed

Yeah, I ended up just having everyone keep the colors and just switch which color went first to avoid confusion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to play if there's still space left =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Natalie
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Let the games begin
mbmbmbmbmb
worshipsf wrote:
Natsume wrote:
isellsunshine wrote:

Yeah, I ended up just having everyone keep the colors and just switch which color went first to avoid confusion.

That's how I played it as well and didn't know there was another way to play it. Reading over the rules I can see the confusion. I will adjust.

Thank you all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to sign up to play, btw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Natalie
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Let the games begin
mbmbmbmbmb
I reserved three spots for other guests and will wait to see if they join. If they don't join I will re-open signups! Thank you all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niccolo Machiavelli
United States
I am where I need to be when I need to be.
flag msg tools
“A prince must imitate the fox and the lion, for the lion cannot protect himself from traps, and the fox cannot defend himself from wolves. One must therefore be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves."
badge
A life, some would argue, is a series of problems. There’s no denying the truth in that – but why get lost in it? Why not rise above the truth… and lead a good life? Shouldn’t we all look at problems as a chance for us to find… solutions?
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Natalie
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Let the games begin
mbmbmbmbmb
rathstar wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peer
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Play to win!
mbmbmbmbmb
My friend and I would like to join together. Please let me know if there are two spots available!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Johnson
United Kingdom
Boston
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Enough for two games? Same set of words, just different layout maybe....?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Rqthstar
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
theknightofcups wrote:
My friend and I would like to join together. Please let me know if there are two spots available!

If you don't get in this, send me a GM and I'll make one that you two can be in. Same team, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peer
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Play to win!
mbmbmbmbmb
rathstar wrote:
theknightofcups wrote:

If you don't get in this, send me a GM and I'll make one that you two can be in. Same team, right?

Yes please

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contig the fallen
United States
flag msg tools
Keen to the scent -- the hunt is my muse. A means to an end, this path that I choose
badge
Lost and aloof are the loves of my past -- Wake the White Wolf! Remembrance At Last (by Miracle of Sound)
mbmbmbmbmb
If there's a backup PBF, I will join with peer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Natalie
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Let the games begin
mbmbmbmbmb
theknightofcups wrote:

Sure you two can grab the last two spots! Tell your friend to stop by and say hello!

----- Signups Closed ------

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Natalie
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Let the games begin
mbmbmbmbmb
contiguity wrote:
If there's a backup PBF, I will join with peer

It filled up with Peer and Peer Friend #1 I can save you a spot if I run another one if that works for you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [12] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.