Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Rum & Bones» Forums » Rules

Subject: A few rules questions: When is the sea dragon summoned? Deploying? More. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Gortner
United States
Egg Harbor Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I would like to get a in a smooth play with my friends this weekend. After reading through the rule book a couple of times I am left with some questions. May I ask for some clarifications?

1 I did a search on the rule book for Sea Dragon and I cannot seem to find anywhere that describes when it appears. For the Kraken, it's a function of rolling and the symbols on played tide cards. But I do not see anything for the Sea Dragon.

2 I wish to understand deployment better. If you have 3 figures deployed you cannot deploy. If you have less than 3 figures deployed, you first have to deploy overboard figures. If you still have less than 3 deployed you have to deploy a figure, but you have to pick one that does not have a Dead Man's Token on it (ie. in reserve).

Is this all correct? And what happens if all 3 heroes die in the same turn, can a team only deploy 2 figures (as 3 out of the 5 will have Dead Man's Tokens on them)?

Thanks all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt **
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1.I think the sea dragon appears from the tide deck.

2. Dead man tokens count as deployed heroes.

so if all 3 heroes die in the same turn you will have no heroes deployed for a full turn (black side is flipped to gold on your turn meaning you can't deploy any heroes) the following turn the gold dead man tokens are removed and you may then deploy heroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cheng
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

1. In every Tide Deck for each faction, there's a common card, "Sea Dragon Attack", which you can play to summon.

2. What you said is correct except when all three of your heroes die in the same turn, you would have three Dead Man's Tokens, which you wouldn't be able to deploy any heroes next turn, because you still have three flipped Dead Man's Tokens. According to the rule, # of deployed heroes + # of Dead Man's Tokens = 3, assuming you are playing a two player game.

Here's an example.

Turn 1, all 3 heroes die and you receive three Dead Man's Tokens.

Turn 2, at the Prepare Heroes phase, flip all 3 Dead Man's Tokens over so the lighter side is up. You can't deploy any heroes this turn, because you still have 3 tokens.

Turn 3, remove Dead Man's Tokens. Now, you can deploy any 3 of the 5 heroes in reserve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Gortner
United States
Egg Harbor Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So in a 6 player game, if you die, you sit out for a round? That seems less than optimal, no?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
jgortner wrote:
If you still have less than 3 deployed you have to deploy a figure, but you have to pick one that does not have a Dead Man's Token on it (ie. in reserve).
Everyone answered your question for three dead Heroes, but let's go back to this question. Dead Man's Tokens use deployed slots, so if you have one Hero with a Dead Man's Token you can only have two on the board. If you have two Tokens, you only get one Hero on the board. And, as others have said, if you have three Tokens you will have no Heroes for one turn.

jgortner wrote:
So in a 6 player game, if you die, you sit out for a round? That seems less than optimal, no?
Anything more than 2P is less than optimal. I say this as someone excited to play, but the multiplayer rules are very tacked on. I prefer the 3-4P variant using multiple ships posted in the Variant forum here to the team version from the rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Sawler
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it's bad if you have to sit out a few rounds. It's similar to the MOBA genre it is trying to copy. In those games, you typically only control one hero, and if you're taken out, you have a timed respawn, which encourages smart play and positioning. If you're making plays that will possibly kill your heroes, it better be worth it! And the person waiting to respawn can still play tide cards and help with cannons or deckhand rolling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls