Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sir Slanger
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Overview
City of Horror is a backstabbing survival-horror game. As in classic zombie movies, a shambling horde is invading the city. The goal is to survive the assault. (Un)fortunately, surviving often means sacrificing some of your fellow players to the undead...

Components: d10-7
The game board is made up of multiple pieces that are put together to make up the play area. The main locations have an A & B side to add a bit of flavor to the game depending on which side you play with. The zombies as well as your survivors are basic paper stand ups, but the card stock is of good quality and I didn’t have any issue with them. My water tower was uneven when put together, so I had to cut the center connecting slit a bit to make it balance correctly. The game cards are easy to understand and the symbols although a bit confusing at first, once we looked them up a few times they like second nature. The flame icons used for when the Armory is blown to bits was a nice touch. All in all, it had nice decent bits.

Rulebook: d10-7
Easy enough to get through, some details seemed to be missing, but nothing that a quick search on BGG couldn’t remedy. We played as we went through the rulebook the first time through, which made it quick to get into the game and the enjoyment began much sooner than expected.

Gameplay: d10-8
The game takes place over four rounds, each consisting of the same basic steps. First you select your movement card, then the invasion card for the round is revealed and the zombies are added to the locations indicated along with supply drops which will add antidotes as well as weapons to the game. This means you might have unknowingly chosen to move to a location that will be overrun by zombies. Some cards and skills allow you to change your move location. If the location you chose is full you get bumped to the crossroads. The Water Tower location allows you to view the next invasion card, which can help you in deciding where to move. Once all movement is done, that’s when the fun begins! Each location has an icon that indicates how many zombies can be there before an attack occurs. Everybody works together to kill enough zombies to help keep everyone safe…. or NOT! devil This was probably the most enjoyable part of the game for my group. Backstabbing galore! I even played this game with family and it was probably the funniest experience. It works better with more people, but even just three we had a blast. A lot of yelling of “But you’re my brother!” “Come on cousin, really?” haha Good times, good times!

Final Thoughts: d10-7
This is an easy to get into zombie game, which had a lot to offer in the interaction department. Voting on who dies and on who gets the supplies is what made this game fun for me as well as my group. Although things got a bit loud at times, we all laughed it off when it was over. If you’re not into confrontation in your gaming, then this probably won’t appeal to you, but if you like making deals, deciding on who ends up as zombie chow, and backstabbing those that trusted you a moment earlier, then this is the game for you!thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
München
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you think that 4 turns is an OK lenght for the game?
Looks very short for me. You only choose 4 movement cards in the whole game? Is there any strategy involved with only four turns?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kefauver
United States
Saint Charles
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
leberegel wrote:
Looks very short for me. You only choose 4 movement cards in the whole game? Is there any strategy involved with only four turns?

Yes. In fact, the fact that it's so short makes every move count. Zombies come in every turn, and in great numbers, so even from the first turn people are getting eaten. You have just enough cards that they're valuable, but not priceless; since you know when the game will end, you never get caught in the 'But it might be better to hold it for later..." Dilemma. Every turn sees you needing to gather points and resources, because if you don't get them now, later won't be an option.

This game, in my opinion, takes Mall of Horror and cuts out the dead turns where you're just... existing.

If for some reason you wanted to slow the game down, I suppose you could use the setup card as a full turn, allowing movement, etc, but that would give everyone a full turn to run around and grab vaccines, food, etc, with no real danger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sir Slanger
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
leberegel wrote:
I think four turns was just about right for this game. Four rounds of dealing with what zombies to kill or how to vote when a vote comes up, down to whether you're deciding where to move, or what cards to play. There's always strategy involved in your decisions. A card you chose to play, or not play might mean the next vote will go against you.

Early on we didn't realize that cards are actually hard to come by. We thought clearing the board of zombies was what we were supposed to do! That's when we thought four rounds was too long of a game.

So four rounds works out pretty good once you really get into it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Damm
msg tools
This was a big hit with my family. Just enough "take that!" to be light hearted and fun without any of the near fisticuffs that occur when playing other negotiation games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sir Slanger
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
redamm wrote:
This was a big hit with my family. Just enough "take that!" to be light hearted and fun without any of the near fisticuffs that occur when playing other negotiation games.
Agreed 100%! thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.