Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm considering playing this this evening; but -- apprehensive about the time. Some have compared this to an 18xx, and I *know* those can run long (and, when I'm not working the next day, that's fine!)

Is this really about 1.5-2 hours for 5 players? How long would the rules take to explain to people who've never played it before?

Thx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Zimmerman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had 5 players, 3 new, play the game my first time. I think we started around 6 and ended around 9. 100 may be pushing it for a first game. However, I do think it is possible when everyone knows the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Chiu
Canada
Vancouver
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A 4 player game where I was teaching 3 other first time players took about 3 hours. Two-player games are a lot faster. Another time I taught one other player, it took a little over an hour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Knemeyer
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The times are true once everyone knows how to play. The first time is a few hours as other people have suggested.

Lemur wrote:
I'm considering playing this this evening; but -- apprehensive about the time. Some have compared this to an 18xx, and I *know* those can run long (and, when I'm not working the next day, that's fine!)

Is this really about 1.5-2 hours for 5 players? How long would the rules take to explain to people who've never played it before?

Thx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
My rule of thumb for first time plays of a game is to double the time listed on the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Wilhm
United States
EDMOND
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
TokenCon: Oklahoma's First Board Game Convention!
badge
Living my best life
mbmbmbmbmb
Our first game for all four of my regular group took just over 4 hours including rules explanation. Two of our group are severely AP prone though, I'm hoping that future plays will shorten the time and we can get through in 1.5 - 2 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our meetup group's first game with 5 players took about 3 hours with a few minutes for rules teaching and lookup (around 15 minutes in total).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Raich
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had to scroll up to ensure we were talking about the same game. How does this game take some groups three hours? We opened the box at a convention on Saturday, taught ourselves on the spot, and played it in around 90 minutes. I also tend to suffer from AP, so I think 100 minutes is totally doable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls