Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Szylewicz
United States
Thousand Oaks
California
flag msg tools
Get 4 copies of the game.

Line up all the boards along their wide edges and orient them the same way. They are now sectors 1-4.

Each player chooses a starting section. A player cannot choose a starting section that is in the same sector as another player and must choose their color.

Populate the starting section of each color (only on the sector that they chose) with the normal starting space chits.

Mix up the remainder of the chits (starting and deep space) and populate all the other empty space on all sectors randomly.

For movement purposes, sectors are considered adjacent in their numerical order (sector 2 is adjacent to sector 1 and 3 and so forth), with sector 1 and 4 also considered adjacent.

As the hexes in each sector are enumerated, each hex with the same number in each sector are adjacent if their sectors are adjacent (K4 in sector 1 is adjacent to K4 in sectors 2 and 4). These are hex triples which consist of the occupied hex and the sector hexes to which the occupied hex is adjacent.

For each hex triple, each hex that is adjacent to a given sector hex, within the sector, is also adjacent to the occupied hex. Meaning that a ship in K4 Sector 2 can move to K3 in Sectors 1,2 or 3 etc.

It helps to imagine that the boards are not arranged side by side, but rather stacked on top of each other. Sectors 1 and 4 are adjacent merely as a play balance so that all players are sandwiched in between 2 other players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Crowder
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Great idea. Have you tried it? Seems like it would take forever to play. How about just two boards, and put one "above" the other? You could have opposite corners start on the same boards, to force people to use both layers.

Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Szylewicz
United States
Thousand Oaks
California
flag msg tools
Totally modular, try it with as many boards as you like. I will say though that at least 3 seems to be best as it gives each hex a distinct top and bottom.

It takes longer to play, but that is what I was going for as I tend to enjoy the economic aspect of the game and with 4 players one board gets cramped and I never felt that I explored many of the later tech and ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
SillyWicks wrote:
Totally modular, try it with as many boards as you like. I will say though that at least 3 seems to be best as it gives each hex a distinct top and bottom.
Does this mean you have indeed played this multi-board layered game? If so, respect to you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls