Mark Caskey
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was playing the Romans recently and had all my generals in a stack that got soundly defeated by Hannibal, to the extent that all the CUs were eliminated. So this leads to the generals taking a time out for the rest of the year.

How do the generals return the following year? There is no general on the map to nominate as the pro consul.

I selected a general at random and placed him in Rome (where 5 CUs had just been placed as reinforcements) and then selected two more generals at random as consuls, again placing them in Rome.

Was this correct?

thanks

Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Latto
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If there's no general on the board, there's no-one to designate as procosul. So don't. Put your 5CU's in Rome, choose two random Consuls, and place them in Rome (or elsewhere if for some reason you have 5 CU's somewhere other than Rome). You'll play the next turn with two Consuls, but no Proconsul. The following turn you'll be back up to a Proconsul and Two Consuls (assuming you don't get both your generals killed off again).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Caskey
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! Funny you should mention getting my generals killed again, this did happen twice.

If Carthage has managed to get a siege point onto Rome while the Roman generals are on time out, is it game over for the Romans (assuming they do not have a stack of 5 CUs or more elsewhere on the map)?

No reinforcements can come into a besieged city, and therefore no Consul can be placed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bradley
United States
Belleville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mcaskey11925 wrote:
Thanks! Funny you should mention getting my generals killed again, this did happen twice.

wow. Learn these things: Avoid Battle & Withdrawal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Caskey
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you know it worked out quite well in the end, Hannibal was weakened to the degree that he did not try to siege Rome, and the loss to Rome of a few CUs and therefore PC markers did not seem to hurt too much in the grand scheme of things.

Rome came back to win the game when Scipio arrived.

And had Hannibal lost it would have been very bad for him so I thought it worth the gamble. I initiated the battles.

Plus my Consul had a very poor shot at avoiding battle/withdrawing,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bradley
United States
Belleville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mcaskey11925 wrote:
you know it worked out quite well in the end, Hannibal was weakened to the degree that he did not try to siege Rome, and the loss to Rome of a few CUs and therefore PC markers did not seem to hurt too much in the grand scheme of things.

Rome came back to win the game when Scipio arrived.

And had Hannibal lost it would have been very bad for him so I thought it worth the gamble. I initiated the battles.

Plus my Consul had a very poor shot at avoiding battle/withdrawing,

I wasn't tying to poke fun, but those are useful tactics. And to your point, loosing battles isn't awful as Rome, as even when hannibal wins, he looses some troops. After a few of those 'won' battles, hannibal may become weak enough to take down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Caskey
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem at all. Thanks for the tips.

Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.