Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: The usual question about games with a ton of expansions... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Riccardo Menozzi
Italy
Reggio Emilia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm interested in picking this up once it hits retail, but remembering the KS days there were a huge amount of addons and expansions.

Is there enough content in the core box to completely satisfy multiple plays?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua R
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
GO TO JAPAN!
badge
Artist: Shohei Otomo
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes... Yes there is.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Avon
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Vrass wrote:
So I'm interested in picking this up once it hits retail, but remembering the KS days there were a huge amount of addons and expansions.

Is there enough content in the core box to completely satisfy multiple plays?


https://youtu.be/hAffRKRgOcU?t=512

Hear it from the creator himself.

E: If you don't want to watch it, he says it took a team of playtesters a month to finish one full playthrough playing 40 hours a week (with check-ins and such).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atomic Robo
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Having never played the game, absolutely.

Look at the Gencon photos. All those cases are just the base game.

Could I today rationalize spending $400 on just the base game? ... Don't ask me these questions!
1 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atomic Robo
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
nicoga3000 wrote:
Vrass wrote:
So I'm interested in picking this up once it hits retail, but remembering the KS days there were a huge amount of addons and expansions.

Is there enough content in the core box to completely satisfy multiple plays?


https://youtu.be/hAffRKRgOcU?t=512

Hear it from the creator himself.

E: If you don't want to watch it, he says it took a team of playtesters a month to finish one full playthrough playing 40 hours a week (with check-ins and such).


Also... what is that do-rag?!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Avon
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
LL6869 wrote:
Having never played the game, absolutely.

Look at the Gencon photos. All those cases are just the base game.

Could I today rationalize spending $400 on just the base game? ... Don't ask me these questions!


You're in luck! You can spend $275 today! That's what I did (yesterday) since I didn't know about the game until Gen Con. :|
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atomic Robo
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
nicoga3000 wrote:
You're in luck! You can spend $275 today! That's what I did (yesterday) since I didn't know about the game until Gen Con. :|


I had the terribly good fortune of finding the kickstarter and having a credit card I hadn't maxed out. So, I am getting (nearly) everything. And I've been waiting for YEARS.

(No joke, I've been having dreams about it showing up these last few nights.)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Reid
msg tools
mbmbmb
Vrass wrote:
So I'm interested in picking this up once it hits retail, but remembering the KS days there were a huge amount of addons and expansions.

Is there enough content in the core box to completely satisfy multiple plays?

The game offers 7 enemies in the core game. All but one of them (the final boss) has 3 levels to be fought up, giving you an effective 19 monsters to fight. The way you set up the monsters also makes them highly replayable.

Each monster has 3 'pools' of AI cards. Basic, Advanced, and Legendary. When you fight the monster, you grab random cards from the specific pools to build the monsters AI deck. That way, every time you fight the monster, it will be using a different set of attacks. Each level of monster uses a different combination. Each monster also has 3 Traits that change the way it acts, with an additional trait being added each level.

Using the Screaming Antelope as an example:
Level 1 uses 7 Basic cards and 3 Advanced cards, and has the Trample trait.
Level 2 uses 10 Basic cards and 5 Advanced cards, and has the Trample and Diabolical traits.
Level 3 uses 12 Basic cards and 8 Advanced cards, and has the Trample, Diabolical, and Hypermetabolism traits.


Each monster also has a different Instinct to set it apart from the others. For example the Antelope will hunt for grass to eat to heal whenever there aren't any threats nearby, while the White Lion will Sniff players out to ensure it has a target for next turn, even when people are hiding/prone and not a threat to it.

Between all of this, there is quite a bit of variance in each monster, and even the same monster at different levels, and there is a bit of variance even when fighting the same monster at the same level, due to it using different tactics from its AI cards.

I feel pretty confident saying there is a good amount of replayability in the core game.
10 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nah, you should probably buy everything.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Currie
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Dignity. Always dignity!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
LL6869 wrote:

I had the terribly good fortune of finding the kickstarter and having a credit card I hadn't maxed out. So, I am getting (nearly) everything. And I've been waiting for YEARS.

(No joke, I've been having dreams about it showing up these last few nights.)


I've been having dreams too. It's serious business.

Also, I didn't have the benefit of a credit card...I had just moved, with a new job, and no money in the bank. I actually had to ask for an advance on my first paycheck to back this game!
5 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Mongan
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Elyklord wrote:
LL6869 wrote:

I had the terribly good fortune of finding the kickstarter and having a credit card I hadn't maxed out. So, I am getting (nearly) everything. And I've been waiting for YEARS.

(No joke, I've been having dreams about it showing up these last few nights.)


I've been having dreams too. It's serious business.

Also, I didn't have the benefit of a credit card...I had just moved, with a new job, and no money in the bank. I actually had to ask for an advance on my first paycheck to back this game!


That is dedication right there.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Teves II
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
"Try to pretend like you understand what's important."
badge
"Crafted with genius, energized with madness."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If I had backed through Kickstarter itself, I would have only been able to back for the base game. Those expansions though. Once Poots offered backing through PayPal though, I opened one of their Smart Connect credit cards, and am in it for more money that I'm willing to admit to my friends.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atomic Robo
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
poeticallybored wrote:
If I had backed through Kickstarter itself, I would have only been able to back for the base game. Those expansions though. Once Poots offered backing through PayPal though, I opened one of their Smart Connect credit cards, and am in it for more money that I'm willing to admit to my friends.

I admit it, it was the only way to get them to accept how excited I was. I hope I like this game!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kiyoshi
United States
California
flag msg tools
Kingdom Debt: Monster
19 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian GS
msg tools
Kingdom Debt :D

I spend $520 (€390 at the time) on the kickstarter and thought I had gone crazy. Now the core game has quadrupled in price, the Dollar is up 20% compared to the Euro and I'm kicking myself for not getting two core boxes!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Mongan
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Uslingen wrote:
Kingdom Debt

I spend $520 (€390 at the time) on the kickstarter and thought I had gone crazy. Now the core game has quadrupled in price, the Dollar is up 20% compared to the Euro and I'm kicking myself for not getting two core boxes!


Yeah in the 2+ years I have finished my education and got a job that double+ my salary. If it were running now I would have spent a lot more than I did, even though I spent a bunch.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Vrass wrote:
Is there enough content in the core box to completely satisfy multiple plays?


Honestly? If you really want to know you're probably better off waiting until people have had their KS copies for a while. Then you'll get replies that are based on actual play experience and not just theory based on bits and pieces that are known.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DeePee wrote:
Vrass wrote:
Is there enough content in the core box to completely satisfy multiple plays?


Honestly? If you really want to know you're probably better off waiting until people have had their KS copies for a while. Then you'll get replies that are based on actual play experience and not just theory based on bits and pieces that are known.


Actually, the question is already answered. There are 25 years in the base game. 25 years = 25 sessions. Add the fact that you will most likely not finish your first or second try (or third, or fourth, etc, etc) there is quite a bit of gameplay in the base box alone. I will be surprised if I even get to the expansions.

-Ski
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I backed this game for a lot - I am invested pretty heavily and I just wanted to throw that out there before saying this. The amount of time this game, or most other games out there, is almost entirely dependent on you as the player. It looks like there are a lot of different ways to play this game and experience it, and a lot of different things that can happen inside it. But - if you don't end up liking the way these things play out for one reason or another - you might only get one or two sessions out of it. I am betting that I will be able to get a lot of playthroughs with multiple groups and solo from just the core box, but there is a chance that I might not want to.

A games replayability is based almost solely on how much the players want to play it. I cannot wait until the game comes out. I want to play it myself, and I want reviews to come out about the game as a whole. Right now, there is just speculation and marketing from the creator about how good the game is and how it will play. Speculation is fun - but no one on this board right now will be able to tell anyone else how much you will want to replay the game. Hopefully we will have a better idea of that soon, though.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.