Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryant Hudson
United States
Cullman
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
Maybe your army comes and maybe it’s too much for us, but it’s all on you. Because if we can’t protect the Earth, you can be damn well sure we’ll avenge it.
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I find myself interested in this. However, I have no experience with previous editions. It sounds cool and I have no problem with the tokens. What surprises me is that this is a competitive game rather than a co-op.

Do the players have the ability to hinder each other? If so, is it almost like a Munchkin type scenario at the end with the person that is about to win getting teamed up on by the other players.

I'm just trying to get how being a competitive game matches the theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a totally different game from the previous edition, so don't worry.

Yes, players can hinder each other with certain cards allowing them to fight (such as the hero Corbin), but outside of that, it would appear to be "no". It's not designed for heroes to chase each other down and get into a brawl, it's sort of a race to the finish line. See who can defeat the big bad guy first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I cant say exactly from the new edition, but in the old you could fight other heroes, but not munchkin style really you had to be in the same space as them and not in a town.

so if you knew someone was going to win you could try to chase them down, which was exciting sometimes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Klaxas wrote:
I cant say exactly from the new edition, but in the old you could fight other heroes, but not munchkin style really you had to be in the same space as them and not in a town.

so if you knew someone was going to win you could try to chase them down, which was exciting sometimes.

But it was much more effective to try and beat them to the boss. I never played a single game where we attacked each other.
The competition comes in how much risk you're willing to take to kill the big bad first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghool wrote:
Klaxas wrote:

But it was much more effective to try and beat them to the boss. I never played a single game where we attacked each other.
The competition comes in how much risk you're willing to take to kill the big bad first.

this is true. and if you wernt ready for the boss and they were, chances are you wouldn't win against them anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Melenberg
Canada
Prince Rupert
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bhudson1972 wrote:
So, I find myself interested in this. However, I have no experience with previous editions. It sounds cool and I have no problem with the tokens. What surprises me is that this is a competitive game rather than a co-op.

Do the players have the ability to hinder each other? If so, is it almost like a Munchkin type scenario at the end with the person that is about to win getting teamed up on by the other players.

I'm just trying to get how being a competitive game matches the theme.

In terms of co-op, if you are looking for fantasy coop games there are many and I'm sure suggestions could be made. It's also likely that a solo mode or coop modes will be made either by FFG and if not definitely fans.

As for competitiveness, this is an adventure game and I would agree with what others have said about it being a race to beat the big bad guy (so far, though other scenarios could be different in expansions). I would also add that it will likely feel more like multiplayer solitaire, with each player really just interested in building their character up and developing interesting combos.

From what I gather the stories from main quest cards add to the feeling of everyone being in the same fantasy setting. One player described an example of being able to train from a master (there was a limited pool of unique tokens you could upgrade), this meant that there was some limited indirect competition in that you would need to get there first if you wanted to secure a certain token. Also the specific quests you do on your turn provide a narrative for you character (but this is where multiplayer solitaire come into play). I have not heard of any of the 3 quest types involving more than a single player.

Additionally, the player to your right (?) plays any monsters you battle, so there is some increased competition through this mechanic, but again indirectly, though it at least serves to involve other players when it is not your turn.

And yes, PvP exists, but is unlikely to be utilized much, unless you are "that guy"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls