Joshua Ryan
United States
Gray
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game in question is 7 Wonders, I bought it on a whim a few weeks ago when Amazon had it on sale for $25. But what I had not considered is would I ever actually get this to the table more than once?

I'd say about 90% of my gaming I do with my girlfriend, but occasionally we'll meet up with a another couple, and if I'm lucky we MIGHT actually play a game or two. Now, this non-gamer couple and my girlfriend have never played a card drafting game, and they also haven't dealt with a scoring system as "complicated" as 7 Wonders (I'm speaking on their behalf here, not mine. I understand the scoring).

So now I'm afraid to even open it up, for fear of playing it once and then nobody ever wanting to play it again. I'd just rather not be stuck with a 'used' copy that won't be worth quite as much as the lonely, new in shrink copy that's currently sitting on my shelf.

Should I just try to sell or trade it away and not worry about it? (I've put it up in a math trade twice now, with no luck.) Will someone try to convince me that I got a good deal and the game is worth keeping, just in case?

Also, out of curiosity, has anyone else ever run into a similar situation? I looooove opening up a new game and going through all the components and rules, so this has been pretty tough keeping myself from tearing into that box. Nothing like that new game smell. Haha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are very few games that are intrinsically more valuable just because the shrink wrap is on them. I wouldn't hesitate to open them and just look inside on a sheer value basis. 7 Wonders cost you $25. What are you going to lose by opening it? $5 maybe? You shouldn't worry about it.

That said, I keep my unplayed games in shrink wrap, mostly because that makes it easy for my game group to pick out our "new game" every week.

Pete (doesn't trade or sell often though, so he may be uninformed)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Harriman
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Open it.

$25 new is a good price.

One play for $25 is cheap.

Fear not, play on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Afraid? Just open the bloody thing and teach your wife.the game ain't that complicated.

There is a scoring app I believe it that helps any.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I open all of my games (though expansions may sit for a while). I like to do a solo play through of my games before I bring them to a group. That way I can explain how everything works and answer questions. Saves a lot of time when you don't have to figure out a game on the spot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Folsom
United States
Wilmore
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
abodi wrote:
Afraid? Just open the bloody thing and teach your wife.the game ain't that complicated.

There is a scoring app I believe it that helps any.

You obviously haven't met my wife.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
solve your game problem buy buying more games!
specifically Sushi Go!
its much more approachable but the two play very similar. Once you got them playing it and liking it show them 7 wonders "ok here's the same game just brought up a level"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bauman
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're not going to get much for it whether it's NIS or not. If people want the game, it's popular and widely distributed so I don't think a listing on BGG Market, ebay, or craigslist will go very quickly. Either let it be a shelf toad or open that sucker and check it out.

I bought the game during the same sale and had the same doubts about whether it would go over well with non-gamers but this weekend's 6-player session went great (ages ranged from 8 to adult). Caveat: I had already introduced them to drafting with Sushi Go. After going over the basics, I refrained from going into detail about all of the iconography, combos, etc and just addressed these as questions came up. Aside from not quite knowing what to do in the first Age or so (which I told them to just accept until they've played the game through at least once), the rest of the game flowed well... with the exception of the endgame scoring. That was kind of a buzzkill, but I think we'll get used to it. One of the newbies won with some killer guild bonuses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Its a great game - play it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Shanmugasundaram
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Open or not, you're not going to be able to sell 7 Wonders for much.

Plus, like it or not, it's one of the easiest games to play.
0) Set up the decks
1) Deal 7 cards to each player.
2) Keep a card, pass the rest to the left or right, depending on the round.
3) Play or cash in the card you kept.
4) Repeat steps 2-3 until you have 1 card to pass, which you discard instead.
5) Tidy up, move to the next age and start at step 1.
6) When your done with Age 3, tally scores.

Scoring becomes second nature after a few plays. And play is pretty brisk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At most opening it will lower the value by $5. For me it would have been worth the $5 just not to be so worried as to start a thread about it.

Rip the plastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
We've taken care of everything...
mbmbmbmbmb
Even used games hold very high %s of their value (especially around here). A common game like 7 wonders certainly won't appreciate either.

I would leave it in its shrink and resell it though, but I don't like 7 wonders
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Farmington
Arkansas
flag msg tools
Hobby aquariums are just like board games: except wet, fishy, and you can't play them.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi. I just purchased 7 wonders this month also! I bought it with Cities and Leaders expansion. I do have a lot of gaming experience, so I felt comfortable mixing them all at once...however just the base game would be very manageable in my opinion. The instructions walk you through the scoring and they give you a score pad as well.

I have many games, and I play with my wife. Many of the games she tolerates because I love games. But, 7 wonders got the "Oh, I like this game" comment from her! So I put it in a special pile to make sure it comes out more then the others.

Our first time playing 7 wonders was a four player game with my brother-in-law and his wife. Everyone groked the mechanic right away and we had a blast.

I'd give it a try and you still can trade it away used, it is a popular game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shilts
United States
Abingdon
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Talk about first world problems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric T
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Take some of the $$ you saved and buy Sushi Go or Medieval Academy. Both of those are easy entries into drafting. Once the group gets used to drafting then you can show them 7 Wonders.

Of the two, Sushi Go is probably the easier (and cheaper) to teach.

Look, I just spent your money...this is fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudine Finlay
United States
Herriman
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
He's eating a Dungeon Lord imp...
mbmbmbmbmb
Open it, what if you find that your wife DOES like it! You'll never know until you try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dude, we love this game! We played the 2-player variant twice in the past two days and all parties involved thought it was pretty genius, despite what some say.

The first play with the newer players might be a challenge but by the end of the game they will be ready for the next game and most likely planning their strategy.

Also, where are some of you selling games and finding it hard to re-sell at a reasonable price? Where I live, it is fairly common to buy a like-new game for $5 less than retail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Ryan
United States
Gray
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dang, I wish I hadn't posted this right before leaving the house, I wasn't expecting so many responses. Haha. Let me add a few things..

I was aiming for a little more tongue-in-cheek, and I guess some of that got lost in my haste earlier. I'm not really THAT afraid of losing a little money on a trade or sale, as it were, this was just something that was kicking around in my head today. Sometimes you make an impulse buy (which I rarely do) and then later you're like, "Maybe I should have bought that other game instead.." Your basic buyer's remorse, if you will.

Oh, and I actually did pick up Sushi Go! recently, as some of you had suggested, but I just haven't had a chance to play it yet. I think it'll be a good stepping stone to 7 Wonders for my girlfriend. She's definitely not a dummy, it's just hard to get her into new games, especially if she's never heard of them before.

Anyway, thanks for all the responses so far. Just the kind of positive reinforcement I was looking for. Now if you'll excuse me, I've got some shrink wrap to destroy..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
Canada
Pickering
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
wow good deal. 7 Wonders is $55 in Canada now..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Ryan
United States
Gray
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re4isnumber1 wrote:
Also, where are some of you selling games and finding it hard to re-sell at a reasonable price? Where I live, it is fairly common to buy a like-new game for $5 less than retail.

All my buying/selling/trading pretty much happens via BGG, CoolStuff, Amazon, and eBay, which means shipping costs are almost always a factor. Unfortunately I live in a town without a FLGS, so the options are limited (we kinda have one, but it's mainly a video game store that also sells a few board games, and not cheap).

I check Craigslist from time to time, and in all of my searching I found one person who lived 30 min away trying to sell a copy of Settlers. Haha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asaf Fabbi
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
Proud member of the Cult of the New.
badge
The King of Meeples
mbmbmbmbmb
You should just give up and give the game to someone with the balls to teach it to non gamers (kidding).

I've been in your shoes. My advice is to find other gamers. Your wife and non-gamer friends will be a tough sell. Best of luck whatever you decide :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tod Andrew
Australia
Wollongong
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for 'Sushi Go'

Also, if you going to play only 2-player maybe you could exchange for the upcoming '7 Wonders Duel' which is designed for 2 players.

P.S. If I could get 7 Wonders for $25 I would probably buy it, and I don't even like the game.
P.S.S. It retails for about three times that price here (Aus).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls