Popular Tags: [View All]
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ok, my copy was "lost in the mail" and I missed it for my game night about 2 weeks back, but it arrived yesterday and my wife and I are going to give it a try tonight...so, it's setup and ready to go after dinner...but...

the 1st thing she always asks is "how do we win? what's the objective"...so prepping for that I've been breezing through the rules...and all I find is:

"Object of the Game
The object of RUNEBOUND is determined by the adventure you are playing. In “Rise of the Dragon Lords,” the object of the game is to either kill High Lord Margath or collect three Dragon Runes. The first player to do either of these is the winner. Killing Margath and collecting Dragon Runes are discussed in detail later in these rules."

there is a section on page 10 that says "the endgame" and also "endgame confrontation", BUT both of those are under "optional rules" and in a variant "the doom track" (which starts on page 9), so they obv. wouldn't apply unless using that variant...which we won't be...

and other than that I can find nowhere in the rules where it explains how you win? how many turns the game might go? what are you playing to?

so...there's no object other than look for 3 Dragon Runes or find and kill Margath? (i'm assuming all those would be found somewhere in an adventure deck?)...thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Threadgill
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like it says, the objective is always set by the scenario you are playing.

For the base set, it's all based on the red encounter deck. Each of the combat encounters in that deck is a dragon lord that will give you a dragon rune when you beat him, except for Margath himself, who simply ends the game when you win the fight.

Basically, you need to win 3 fights with red cards, or less if Margath is one of the first 2 you find.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hooliganj wrote:
Like it says, the objective is always set by the scenario you are playing.

For the base set, it's all based on the red encounter deck. Each of the combat encounters in that deck is a dragon lord that will give you a dragon rune when you beat him, except for Margath himself, who simply ends the game when you win the fight.

Basically, you need to win 3 fights with red cards, or less if Margath is one of the first 2 you find.
so, it's a 1-scenario game? they don't even include any others? and if not (which is my guess), where/how can you add some variation...just the expansions? and if so, do all expansions add "victory conditions", or are some adding characters, some adding equip, etc...

thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't use the doom track. It doesn't work very well.

The big box expansions are slight variations on the rules. They come with a new map, a different set of challenge cards, and mechanics unique to that game. They are almost different games that just use the same counters, item deck and heroes.

There were six Adventure Variants that came out for the base game. They change the story slightly but use the majority of the base game challenges. They should be listed on the Runebound BBG entry. All are out of print. Honestly I can count the number time on one hand I have played all of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Threadgill
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's only one scenario in the 2e core set - the variation comes from playing different characters, getting different upgrades out of the market deck, and facing different monsters. You can play just the core set a surprising number of times before it gets repetitive.

Yes, some of the expansions change the scenario. There are 4 box expansions, and each adds more characters, mechanics, gear, encounters, and a new scenario which takes place on a whole new map.

In addition, there are 18 expansion packs, which come in 3 flavors. 6 of them are market deck cards, 6 of them are encounter cards - both types simply add more cards (more variety) to the core set. The remaining 6 are scenario packs, which include cards, tokens and rules to use the core set to play a different story.

Finally, there are also 6 class decks, which you can mix and match to give your characters a personalized talent progression system and special ability/random event deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:

"Object of the Game
The object of RUNEBOUND is determined by the adventure you are playing. In “Rise of the Dragon Lords,” the object of the game is to either kill High Lord Margath or collect three Dragon Runes. The first player to do either of these is the winner. Killing Margath and collecting Dragon Runes are discussed in detail later in these rules."
They were probably talking about the rules for combat and collecting rewards. Fighting the dragon lords and collecting their rewards is how you win.

Yes, 2005 FFG had horrible rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bleacher Creature
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
[i] Yes, 2005 FFG had horrible rules.

Boy, that's the truth. The Runebound 2e core rules while being very complete with examples and such were badly organized. No, horribly organized.

Almost every core game I played came down to the first person to get the 3 dragon runes. Defeating 3 red adventures always takes some strong effort and successful adventuring. One of the things I like about the system is that it really forces you to go out there and explore and visit cities and markets and gather a couple of strong allies and slowly but steadily level up your character. Runebound 2e is definitely a game that is as much about the journey as it is about the final objective. Games played usually give players tales to be told later about horrid encounters and cold combat rolls or maybe frustrating terrain or maybe that supposedly strong ally that crumbled like a piece of paper in the first fight.

It may not be the most elegant system but the end result is usually a memorable experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
we're having a good time...played last night for about 1 1/2 hrs, and left of the table until our session (probably sat night)...nice to have (a) the space to leave it up, and (b) no children in the house anymore requiring a good part of our "free time"!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:
we're having a good time...played last night for about 1 1/2 hrs, and left of the table until our session (probably sat night)...nice to have (a) the space to leave it up, and (b) no children in the house anymore requiring a good part of our "free time"!

Go to "Esoteric Order of Gamers" for better rules (including better rules for other games).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grahamj wrote:
John_VW wrote:

Go to "Esoteric Order of Gamers" for better rules (including better rules for other games).
To be specific, the rules are better organized and more clear. They're not alternate rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grahamj wrote:
John_VW wrote:

I did, and basically their 2-page aid is all we need to play...(they have the BEST aids, for almost any game!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Runebound has replayability issues without expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DomaGB wrote:
i'm confused by the comment? you think it has replayability period, or it does not with the expansions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:
DomaGB wrote:
i'm confused by the comment? you think it has replayability period, or it does not with the expansions?

Without the expansions, Runebound I do not think would be very fun after a few plays.

Some expansions add more cards to the decks that already exist, this helps the game be fun for many more plays.

Other expansions change how the game is won or played. This also adds replayability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Replay value might depend (in part) on how many people you usually play with?

As a solo game, you see far fewer item cards and even enemies during each sessions so the base decks stay fresh longer. Even after you see everything, the different combinations and timing of cards affects things enough that I still enjoy the game.

But having a couple of expansions really does mix things up - especially the "big box" expansions that include new maps, heroes, goals, enemies, items, and rules to follow all at one time. Small expansions are also good, but focus on changing just one thing at a time instead of giving a totally new experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DomaGB wrote:
John_VW wrote:
DomaGB wrote:

Without the expansions, Runebound I do not think would be very fun after a few plays.

Some expansions add more cards to the decks that already exist, this helps the game be fun for many more plays.

Other expansions change how the game is won or played. This also adds replayability.

There are actually plenty of items and allies in the base game market deck.

But...

The challenge decks are a bit short and depending how many people are playing, you may cycle through an entire color deck or two in a single game. Even with only a few players you will get to know all the challenges in a few games. Adding the challenge deck expansions each add 30 cards. The game feels about right when you add all six for an extra 180 cards on top of the original 84 but does water out the story elements in the original events and encounters.

The big box expansions play better than the base game but suffer from having no expansions at all so the challenge decks can get old quick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls