Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Pessano
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All,

Just played the final copy of the game, feel free to ask questions.

Very cool tile placing game where you actually have to think vs other tile laying games where the move is obvious.

And I guess they are not tiles, they are rhombuses (sp?).

Thx
jonpfl
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dundy O
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was intrigued after watching video with Eric Martin. Is the game simple but deep? I love those types of games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Pessano
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wister wrote:
I was intrigued after watching video with Eric Martin. Is the game simple but deep? I love those types of games!

Rules are pretty simple, you have 2 actions per turn (but can buy more with tiles you acquire, don't recall what they are named).

Your actions are (if I remember correctly)
1) place a tile (and also put a man on tile if you have any left. If city is formed, do the city forming action.
2) grab 2 tiles (but cannot use them this turn, have to plan ahead).
3) bring a guy back off board (I think you get 3 guys)

I believe that is it.

But yes, I would consider somewhat deep as you really have to plan where you put your tiles so you don't help the person to your left. If you put a tile down to help someone, you can mitigate the damage by putting a guy down so it doesn't give the advantage to someone to finish the city.

Oh yeah, the other action is 4) canal action, place 2 canals after they have been enabled (tile has touched them).

I believe there will be a mini expansion at Essen but not 100% sure.

Thx
jonpfl
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Vander Veen
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The corrections/notes here are humbly presented only in the spirit of helping the theme of this game to be better understood. I hope these clarifications help.
jonpfl wrote:
Rules are pretty simple, you have 2 actions per turn (but can buy more with tiles you acquire, don't recall what they are named).
Imperium are the tiles that can be used to trigger extra actions. They can also be saved towards potential end game points (majority holder of each color). Color does not matter if returned to the supply to take an additional action.

jonpfl wrote:
Your actions are (if I remember correctly)
1) place a tile (and also put a man on tile if you have any left. If city is formed, do the city forming action.
Since Rome is one big city, these diamond/rhombus shaped "tiles" are called neighborhoods. "a man" is a Magistrate (placed Carcassonne-style) that may help you benefit (points and more) from construction. "city" refers to buildings and fountains that are constructed at the intersection of 3 to 6 neighborhoods. What gets built and who receives benefit is the heart of the game. Having more neighborhoods can result in a more valuable building (points scored).
jonpfl wrote:
2) grab 2 tiles (but cannot use them this turn, have to plan ahead).
There are four colors to choose from depending on your strategy/tactics.
jonpfl wrote:
3) bring a guy back off board (I think you get 3 guys)
"guys" are Magistrates that need to be supporting the right type of construction to be of benefit. Tricky indeed! Players do have three Magistrates to use.

jonpfl wrote:
Oh yeah, the other action is 4) canal action, place 2 canals after they have been enabled (tile has touched them).
"canal"s are aqueducts that you can build out to buildings your magistrates built. Now your building has a water source and you score extra points. There are three aqueduct starting points, each is a separate aqueduct that will not connect, so each will serve a different set of buildings.

--> I think this is all correct!? I have just read the rules thus far and am very much looking forward to getting in my first plays and explore this geometrically rich tile laying game.

EXCITING NEWS!!! This Saturday the Double Exposure Envoy program is running a splash event where copies of Rome: City of Marble will be demonstrated and played in 100+ FLGS across the U.S. I'm one of the program Heralds and will be at my FLGS, Off The Charts Games, in Gresham, OR
(Hopefully, this or a similar program will start in the rest of N. America as well as overseas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Vander Veen
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Follow up: I've got 3 plays in and am loving this low luck, high strategy game that plays out the theme of rich patrician families of Rome influencing the gentrification of Rome. It's an area control game where the competition is all about improving Rome and earning status for your family in Roman society. Once structures are in place, they stay. You are balancing your building capacity and taking advantage of circumstances created by the way others activate new neighborhoods.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.