9 Posts

Eldritch Horror: Strange Remnants» Forums » General

Subject: Less than Forsaken Lore? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
B S
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So this expansion looks like more EH awesomeness and I will eventually get it, but am I right in thinking it just has less stuff than FL for the same amount of money? Looking at the card list in the rules there appears to be fewer or the same amount of almost every type of card, which is not compensated by the new types of cards in SR. Can someone either correct me, or do you think this is a trend for FFG, see how little they can include and still have sell through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth H
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In terms of depth of gameplay, you're right. Forsaken Lore has a lot more of it. However, Strange Remnants has new characters, and that's not nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pickman
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that FL was more of a one-time boost, bringing the base game to where it needed to be.

SR introduces some new mechanics, like the Mystic Ruins, as well as the Adventure and Focus tokens for players who don't have Mountains of Madness.

Plus, new characters! FL didn't have any of those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kaemmer
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FL was necessary to expand the game, it was about volume not content. I would say I have enjoyed SR WAY more. It brought truly new stuff to the table. A GOO that is very different and somewhat challenging, 4 brand new fun characters, a new type of encounter and an adventure mechanic I might actually use (I never use the MoM one), amazing new glamour spells, not to mention preludes. It is enough "new" stuff to inject excitement into the game. FL was more of the same, really. It was quantity not quality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B S
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iswearihaveajob wrote:
FL was necessary to expand the game, it was about volume not content. I would say I have enjoyed SR WAY more. It brought truly new stuff to the table. A GOO that is very different and somewhat challenging, 4 brand new fun characters, a new type of encounter and an adventure mechanic I might actually use (I never use the MoM one), amazing new glamour spells, not to mention preludes. It is enough "new" stuff to inject excitement into the game. FL was more of the same, really. It was quantity not quality.

Fair enough. I think part of the reason for my concern is that the same trend appears to be happening with the new big box expansion. I certainly don't think more quantity = a better game, but all other things being equal they seem to be steadily charging the same amount for less stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Huger wrote:
iswearihaveajob wrote:

Fair enough. I think part of the reason for my concern is that the same trend appears to be happening with the new big box expansion. I certainly don't think more quantity = a better game, but all other things being equal they seem to be steadily charging the same amount for less stuff.

Somewhat understandable, giving the cost of print is also steadily increasing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A
United States
flag msg tools
In terms of value, you get your money's worth.

The entire box is packed. It is much heavier than it looks (especially compared to expansions for other games).

But it might feel like less just because you're only using some of the components when you use a specific AO/prelude card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boian Spasov
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
We are the knights who say...
badge
Ni!
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember that my only disappointment from Forsaken Lore was that there were no new characters. This is why Strange Remnants sounds even more appealing to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pickman
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blizzardb wrote:
I remember that my only disappointment from Forsaken Lore was that there were no new characters. This is why Strange Remnants sounds even more appealing to me.

I felt the same way. And they're really cool characters, too--all of them are interesting and fun to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.