Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Pezzi
United States
Waterford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I apologize if this is discussed elsewhere in here, but I could not find anything on it when I just glanced through quickly. Anyway, does anyone have any thoughts on how you might run a season using solo play? Is it even possible? I realize there are only 4 starting teams, but I'm also thinking a bit ahead when the new teams are released this fall. Any input is appreciated as I'm simply drawing blanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the first question to answer is whether you can run a season mode in any fashion -- and I don't really think the game is built for that. The power curve for a team just ramps up too quickly and will then stagnate, which I don't think will be interesting.

For solo play, that problem will be even worse, because the "AI" relies on having a dramatically stronger team that can win by pure brute force despite blind play. Give a human player a team that's been through 10 buy rounds and they might well never lose to the AI from that point forward, because the necessary qualitative gap will be gone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not quite what you're after but maybe something like...

3 games then a buy round
3 games then a buy round
do this 6 times total for an 18 game season.

If you win 12 games or more, you make it to the World Series and once there, there are no more buy rounds.

Maybe during the regular season, make the teams be a mix of a normal team and free agents, but in the World Series, the opponent is all free agents as usual.

Let's you drag things out a fair bit longer - last series of the season might be fun if you need to win those games.

Pez17 wrote:
I apologize if this is discussed elsewhere in here, but I could not find anything on it when I just glanced through quickly. Anyway, does anyone have any thoughts on how you might run a season using solo play? Is it even possible? I realize there are only 4 starting teams, but I'm also thinking a bit ahead when the new teams are released this fall. Any input is appreciated as I'm simply drawing blanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Pezzi
United States
Waterford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lomn wrote:
I think the first question to answer is whether you can run a season mode in any fashion -- and I don't really think the game is built for that. The power curve for a team just ramps up too quickly and will then stagnate, which I don't think will be interesting.

For solo play, that problem will be even worse, because the "AI" relies on having a dramatically stronger team that can win by pure brute force despite blind play. Give a human player a team that's been through 10 buy rounds and they might well never lose to the AI from that point forward, because the necessary qualitative gap will be gone.

Fair points, but to be honest in my initial thinking I wasn't even using an AI. I had more of a situation where, and we'll use the four starter teams because that's all we have now, the four teams have a handful (or so) of buy rounds to build a lineup. Then, for example, New York would visit Boston for a four game series with me playing BOTH sides. Results are tracked, then a new series starts, LA vs Boston. Etc, etc, until each team plays "X" number of games to complete the regular season. Then obviously based on standings, playoffs and World Series to wrap up.

There would be no buy rounds after these regular season series', but instead a point during the "season" when all teams would go through another round of free agency buying. This would shake up lineups for variety and make teams stronger down the "stretch".

I realize completely that this is not how the game was intended, and to Mike and the boys, know that I LOVE this game as it is. I'm just thinking as we head into the release of all those new teams this fall, how fun it would be to be able to run a season in a game that plays as smoothly, quickly, and enjoyably as this one does.

I am also fully aware that this falls in the category of "do whatever the hell you want", my reason for posting this was to have you all interject ideas/thoughts, etc while also shooting holes in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuhns, party of four!
United States
Muncy
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
...the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been thinking how fun this would be as well. Especially with how quickly individual games go.

One idea I have is to play 3 game series' against other teams since that's typically what happens IRL (more or less). You could arbitrarily name those teams and come up with some sort of season for how they "play" each other as well.

As far as your team playing others and increasing in ability, I would say you get 2-4 buy rounds and that's it (obviously this should be tested-I say this because once you've got 4-5 of the better cards is when your team really starts to win more against an AI deck). Re-shuffle (or if you want to keep the same opposing "teams" you could) the AI deck to make the next team. Then play out a season of however many games seem reasonable.

Perhaps you could send current players to the minors and bring some back up that you sent down if you have the x number of buy rounds limit?

You could trade in the specialty players only then, and move players up and down from the minors prior to a game, but only working with the base team players. Kind of like the on deck spot, but pre-game and allowing you to tailor your deck a little before each game in that way.

Just spitballin'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that I think I understand all of the running and walking rules (!), and I've also got all of the 16 starter teams, I'm contemplating some sort of solo round-robin league or knockout cup.

My thoughts are that I play one of the starter teams as 'the away team', as normal, while the AI is considered to be the Home team for that game as normal, and will comprise, as a core, one of the other starter teams, together with a certain number of main deck cards. As the AI team is considered to be the home team, it should tend to be the slightly stronger team to simulate home advantage. It may need some testing to determine the right number of main deck cards to get the right balance.

I'll probably also limit the buy rounds to two or three and see how the scores balance out. Other suggestions welcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls