Pixel Tactics» Forums » Rules

Subject: Leader Power VS Order -- Which one takes precedence? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gold Sirius
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
When an Order would clash with a Leader Power, which one takes precedence?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Popow
Poland
Gdynia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Example?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gold Sirius
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Don't have one off the top of my head.
I'm pretty sure we were playing PT3, and it's been a few months since that particular scenario occurred.

The Level99 staff has been pretty silent on these boards recently. Someone, please?

(But I'll look it up. See if I can remember what had happened.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Smith
msg tools
I'm pretty confident that a few of the LVL 99 crew are lurking around answering any questions that arise. But if they don't I am on the playtester forums and can definitely dig you up a resolution if you have a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yo, JR here - I can say that, in general, text on a card being played takes precedence over static text on the game board - that is, if you a play a card that says it does something, that thing will happen even if the rules say otherwise.

I'd need an example to really answer your question, but in the event that an Order does something, the only way it "wouldn't" happen is if a Leader power directly contradicted it (like, "Orders don't have effects" as a Leader Power).

I hope this helps - feel free to post a specific question and I'll answer that too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gold Sirius
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Hello JR.
Thank you for the answer. I've been looking through the PT3 deck, and I couldn't figure out what exactly had happened, but I found out another example of Order vs Leader Power clash.

If I had Doc Silnan as my Leader (Assistant when a hero)
Leader Power reads: Heroes and leaders in your unit cannot take more than 4 damage from a single source at one time.

See where I'm going with this?
Now, if my opponent played the Magical Knight order, which reads:
Apply 8 damage to any hero, or Apply 8 damage to a hero in its revised edition, what would happen?

Is that an example of a Leader Power contradicting an Order?
And then, would the Magical Knight do 4 damage to one of my Heroes, or would the effect be ignored completely, or would he have to hurt one of his own heroes?

Also, please, can you go and answer my questions for the mini-expansions?
This topic -->
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1399720/soothsayer-orde...

THANK YOU!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Mierz
United States
Middletown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not official, but in general in most games with special powers, "can't" effects take precedence over "can" effects. I would say that Magical Knight's order would only do 4 damage when up against Doc Silnan's leader power.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Popow
Poland
Gdynia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, generally in games "cannot" trumps "can".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gold Sirius
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks guys.

Annndddd JR never came back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rabinowitz
United States
Columbia
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also rule that you would only apply 4 damage. This doesn't seem any different than asking if a hero which does 5 attack trumps the leader ability. What good would the leader ability be if it didn't trump? No good at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.