Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find that in a lot of games that use the "tap" mechanic from Magic: The Gathering, they almost always show to "tap" by turning the card 90º to the right.

But why to the right? It's so much more natural, for me at least, to tap to the left.

Anyone have any idea why this is?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Ziobrowski
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be interested to see why you feel it is more natural to the left, but in terms of rotation, it would be clockwise.

A lot of other things follow this mentality like a screw, the more you turn it to the right, the further it progresses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Yes, I think of it as cranking the card clockwise, then loosening it counterclockwise when it's readying again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Which hand do you use to tap cards with?

For me it's because it's a more natural direction to twist using the right hand. Tapping to the left with the right hand means your thumb slides under the hand as opposed to the 2nd/3rd finger, which in my case feels more awkward than tapping to the right.

It's the same reason a right-handed spinner will use finger spin to bowl offies and generally wrist-spin to bowl leggies (I may have lost our North American audience with that analogy)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
Roll for it
badge
I + I = 0
mbmbmbmbmb
For goodness sake! You wouldn't want to invoke magic cards by turning them widdershins, would you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
losfp wrote:
My right hand, usually, but it doesn't matter. It's natural to tap it to the left with both hands.

Quote:
For me it's because it's a more natural direction to twist using the right hand. Tapping to the left with the right hand means your thumb slides under the hand as opposed to the 2nd/3rd finger, which in my case feels more awkward than tapping to the right.
Yeah. that's likely part of it.

Quote:
It's the same reason a right-handed spinner will use finger spin to bowl offies and generally wrist-spin to bowl leggies (I may have lost our North American audience with that analogy)
You lost me. This sounds like contact-something (juggling, staff, or some other dexterity-based skill) lingo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tap to the left when playing Magic: The Gathering. I'm not sure it matters which way you tap, unless it's something where the card can be tapped multiple times and left tapped is tapped once and right tapped is tapped 3 times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's because human necks have physiologically evolved to tilt right more easily than left.

whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the arrow does tell you to turn it that way...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
agentkuo wrote:
I find that in a lot of games that use the "tap" mechanic from Magic: The Gathering, they almost always show to "tap" by turning the card 90º to the right.

But why to the right? It's so much more natural, for me at least, to tap to the left.

Anyone have any idea why this is?

We're in the Northern Hemisphere.

They do it counterclockwise Brazil and Australia
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Stewart
Scotland
ELGIN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would ahve to agree I always tap to the left without even realizing it!

Is it even still safe to cal it a "tap"!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
We've taken care of everything...
mbmbmbmbmb
agentkuo wrote:
losfp wrote:
My right hand, usually, but it doesn't matter. It's natural to tap it to the left with both hands.

Is it now? I tap clockwise, not widdershins every time, hand regardless (I'm a lefty) I tap with a wrist motion not a finger motion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davey Boy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I find one full turn and a quarter to the right works best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clement Tey
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tapping to the left would mean the thumb of your right hand goes the wrong way, ie overextended to the left.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you untap around about as often as you tap it shouldn't matter if one is more ergonomic than the other since you'll wind up doing a 90 degrees motion in the other direction a bunch of times anyway.

I just stuck a sheet of paper in front of me, turned it 90 degrees right and tried to read the text. Then turned it the other way and tried to read the text. It was just as easy both ways, so it's got nothing to do with a particular orientation being more readable.

I think it might just be convention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Bennetts
United Kingdom
Wellington
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
agentkuo wrote:
Quote:
You lost me. This sounds like contact-something (juggling, staff, or some other dexterity-based skill) lingo.

What our esteemed colleague is suggesting is that to tap anticlockwise is simply not Pocket Cricket

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fortheloveofdice
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Uhhh... you're supposed to rap left? I didn't know there was a correct way. No manners this one!

I've always tapped anti-clockwise. It feels more natural to my hand and is easier to read. Maybe because I've always done it that way. But it does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In pokemon tcg, right and left "tapping" represent different status effects (sleep and paralysis) . Upside down is "confusion".

Just an example of them being distinct states, instead of just sideways arbitrarily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gaming Collector/Enthusiast
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
BeardsandBoardgames wrote:
I would ahve to agree I always tap to the left without even realizing it!

Is it even still safe to cal it a "tap"!

M:TG copyrighted that long ago, thats why every game manual says 'turn 90 degrees' or something similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take joy from your wins; take lessons from your losses.
United States
Davidsonville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

I tap with my index and middle fingers. Left turn is easier for my right hand.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kip Kwiatkowski
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Stop it! That tickles! :P
mbmbmbmbmb
I tear up the card, because once Kip taps a card, nobody untaps it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary H
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading, I see "tapping" to the left. A lot of us read from left to right. I know for myself it would be more natural to scan my tableau with things tapped left.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
princemousey wrote:
Tapping to the left would mean the thumb of your right hand goes the wrong way, ie overextended to the left.
I see a few people saying this and I'm so baffled by this. Are you not grabbing the sides of the card?

Standard full hand grip ergonomics would lead to turning left being easier. That said I think everyone grabs cards differently and it comes down to what makes sense from a layout point of view rather than the action. Because of clocks and screws it makes more sense to turn right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mafman6 wrote:
princemousey wrote:
I see a few people saying this and I'm so baffled by this. Are you not grabbing the sides of the card?

Standard full hand grip ergonomics would lead to turning left being easier. That said I think everyone grabs cards differently and it comes down to what makes sense from a layout point of view rather than the action. Because of clocks and screws it makes more sense to turn right.
I use just my fingers, not my full hand to tap cards. Probably from when I did cubing, doing finger tricks instead of rotations with my full hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
agentkuo wrote:
losfp wrote:

Quote:
Yeah. that's likely part of it.

Quote:

As I think Ian Bennett pointed out, if you tap left "Well then, it wouldn't be cricket would it".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |