Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Waxman

Falcon Heights
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Just started painting professionally with Cthulhu Wars, Imperial Assault, Specter Ops, and Small World Designer Edition. I'm trying to get an idea if people will mainly be painting their sets themselves or if painters like myself might be able to lend a hand.

I'm really excited for this game and can't wait to paint up my set asap! For those who paint please post your pics! Look forward to seeing all the interesting color schemes. PM me if i can help with your painting.

Ps. BGG says they want 3% of any commissions facilitated. No problem.

Ex:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Shannon
United States
Mercer Island
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How much would you charge out of curiosity?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Han Solo
msg tools
Paint mine when ever I can find the time, I like the idea of doing them in black in grey sorta like marble, that's what I did with my arena Rex minis and they turned out pretty good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Waxman

Falcon Heights
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I'm considering a similar fee to what i did with the detailed Specter Ops minis. About $10-15 or so per figure for a small group of figures. For an entire set I would probably do some kind of package deal. I'll gave to see how much time it takes to make the figs look "tabletop plus" quality. Not Golden Demon level but better than a typical quick tabletop job.

Ex: Fury of Dracula commission. $15 apiece.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Waxman

Falcon Heights
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Han Solo,

Would love to see some pics! Please post! I'm a big fan of "better some paint than no paint".

Any game is more fun with painted minis!! I'll never forget our Imperial Assault campaign that was enhanced with full color!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm planning on just staring at mine on the sprue... No money for a commission.

I am sure I'll eventually assemble a few miniatures and then agonize over painting them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvador Bernadó
Spain
Gavà
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to paint them but seeing the hundreds of miniatures that I still have unpainted at home, I don't think I paint them. At least, not all of them.
If I can get my friends interested on the project, maybe I can paint them with their help. After all, they paint much better than me.
I don't think I'll give then on commission, although if I found a good painter nearby, I would think about it. Having to send them to another country is out of the question. It will double the price and the time.
Frankly, if I can assemble them all and can play the game often, I think I'll be more than happy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Dibbley
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the courage (or expertise) to do it myself but I would love to see someone paint their collection up entirely in dark almost black greyscale, where the only colour is coming from those parts that either emit or are illuminated by light sources on the models (lanterns, White Lion's eyes etc).

I bought two boxes of KD:M with the intention of flipping one along with all the duplicate miniatures (Survivor rewards etc) so I could pretty much recover all of my total investment. as it gets closer Im getting tempted to keep both sets, paint one set up in my standard tabletop+ level style and after doing that, practice OSL on the duplicate (Watcher, Phoenix, Kingsman) and then completing another core set like the above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I won't be painting them at all. Painted minis always end up looking like crap. I just need game pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Avon
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I thought about offering my services up for commission work, but when it comes to large base minis, I never know what to charge or how to approach it. Sure - I can charge someone ~$10-15 for a basic mini paint job, but even the detail on the KD:M stuff is such that the time investment to get it to a quality paint job would cost me more than $10-15 worth of my time.

Of course, if someone is looking for tabeltop/gaming quality work, I'm more than happy to offer my services. That can be done with relative ease.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am looking forward to painting the large monsters the most. I have painted minis for about 15 years now and it is one of my favorite parts of the hobby, and I am super happy to see the trend of boardgames embracing miniatures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jimmy jo jim Bob
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
rotting rubbish heap of a world
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no problem with people paying to have their miniatures painted. Nor do I have a problem with people accepting money to paint other poeple's minis. Frankly, it makes perfect sense to me.

However, it galls me to think that I would play a game with MY miniatures that I did not paint. I don't pretend that it's normal to feel this way.

So, I will be painting my own. (And don't think for a moment that my painting is all that great either. I'll post work to prove it, later on.)

EDIT: Images of my awesomeness, as promised

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Waxman

Falcon Heights
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jimmy,

For what it's worth, i know exactly how you feel. Even though i paint minis for others, i still would feel weird playing with pieces not painted by me.

I would still rather play with my "tabletop plus" level than unpainted. I'm a sucker for bold color!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jimmy jo jim Bob
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
rotting rubbish heap of a world
mbmbmbmbmb
Benwax123 wrote:
For what it's worth, i know exactly how you feel.

I knew I wasn't alone. There are dozens of us...dozens!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AGN1964 AGN1964
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ben! Awesome work! $15 for those minis? It seems to me that you are seriously undercharging. Can you get those results in 2 hours? You must be close to minimum wage but doing some pretty skilled labor. I hope you painting business really takes off, you deserve it.

I also like playing with painted minis. Here's a $10 papercraft table top with some Relic Knights minis.

You can the full story on my blog (far more pics, links to the papercraft PDFs and a mini battle report):
http://hugeminiatures.blogspot.ca/2015/08/relic-knights-10-g...
http://hugeminiatures.blogspot.ca/2015/08/relic-knights-game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Han Solo
msg tools
Benwax123 wrote:
Han Solo,

Would love to see some pics! Please post! I'm a big fan of "better some paint than no paint".

Any game is more fun with painted minis!! I'll never forget our Imperial Assault campaign that was enhanced with full color!

Unfortunately the rules for Arena Rex weren't so good and I ended up trading all my stuff. I forgot to mention that I used an airbrush. I primed them a dark grey first, and then gave them a light coat of white from above to produce shading. I had planned on going back and actually painting them later, but never got around to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Young
United States
Mount Vernon
Washington
flag msg tools
I plan to paint mine hoping to see more walk throughs like the ones already up in the Kingdom death Gallery.

Painted this using the Guide there from Scott Hockley

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
My current plan is painting them a solid color with a wash. Maybe a bit of highlighting. Probably either a grey or a sepia tone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atomic Robo
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cormor321 wrote:
My current plan is painting them a solid color with a wash. Maybe a bit of highlighting. Probably either a grey or a sepia tone.

Ditto. If and when I get to painting at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Waxman

Falcon Heights
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jacob,

Absolutely love your work! Train me in your awesomeness!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AGN1964 AGN1964
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no denying Jacob's skillz but this guy trained us both:

http://gallery.kingdomdeath.com/Architect-Advanced-Painting-...
http://gallery.kingdomdeath.com/Survivor-Painting-Guide

Here's what he did for me:
http://www.coolminiornot.com/372760
http://www.coolminiornot.com/381547

Great tutorials! Scott rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Carr
United States
Ruckersville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
probably solid greyish/sepia and wash...try to match the hunt tile.. I like the somber look...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty
United Kingdom
Leeds
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
First post:

I'm honestly in two minds about painting these at all. I love the miniatures and I'm an avid painter myself, but I love the stark contrast of the tiles and the crisp models. Plus I'm unsure I can actually do them justice at my current painting standard, I'd have huge expectations of myself.

I've got a generous handful of the resins and I've so far just mapped out how I would paint them, haven't even built one yet, just stared longingly at the models...

CMoN gallery -

http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/vbt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Boehm
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have a very powerful urge to PAINT ALL THE MINIS! Lol. I reckon, painting the miniatures is fully half the fun of the game. However...

See, here's how it is with me. I can paint a miniature infinitely well, if I spend an infinite amount of time on it. And my painting quality scaled down pretty rapidly from there. So. While I have a strong temptation to spend six months painting one miniature exquisitely, I'm gonna have to reign myself in if I want to actually play this game sometime before 2040. I'm searching for a happy medium in between museum-quality miniatures and a pile of unpainted plastic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Waxman

Falcon Heights
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In a way I'm lucky. At best I can do "tabletop plus" that is good but not great. Looks fine in play but not fantastic under the microscope. Plus limited attention span and patience means I paint each figure in 2-3 hours max. This way I've been able to paint 7 copies of Small World Designer Edition, 3 sets of Cthulhu Wars, and 3 sets of Imperial Assault plus expansions in the last year.

I am Ssssooooooo envious of the great paint jobs I've seen on this forum, but I'm learning to live with myself as a "good" but not great painter. Not giving up, but accepting my limits of skill and patience.

Since i MUST play with painted minis, it's good to know that KD:Monster will be played fully painted or not at all (and sold painted) .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.