Hide
6 Posts

Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients» Forums » Rules

Subject: Resolving hits and larger enemy experience rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James A
msg tools
I recently figured out that my group was doing both these things wrong. I think. Let's say I get 2 successful hits. I decide to assign them both to the same enemy. We would roll both damage dice,add up the total and subtract the defense. Turns out this is wrong, correct? We have to actually roll for and compete each assigned hit seperately? Even when it's the same target? So if an enemy had a defense of four, I'd have to roll at least a 5 or six on one die to do any damage and THEN repeat for the second damage. Not resolving both damage by adding up both D6. And if this is true then this makes it way harder and WAAAAAAAAAAY longer than it already is to do a fight in this game. And as far as larger enemy exp. I only gain the base xp if I do at least one wound for a hit. So enemy defense is 4 and I roll a 6. I get base xp plus 5 plus another 5. Each 5 being for the 2 successful hits. Repeat with each further successful die.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Who2342 wrote:
Even when it's the same target? So if an enemy had a defense of four, I'd have to roll at least a 5 or six on one die to do any damage and THEN repeat for the second damage. Not resolving both damage by adding up both D6.

That is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James A
msg tools
Well. I was really hoping I was wrong. These fights were already taking so long and receiving wounds is so much easier than giving them. I know a majority of the game is fights but damn...haha. I guess we will see how it goes down tomorrow!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Moreau
France
Antony
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Who2342 wrote:
I get base xp plus 5 plus another 5. Each 5 being for the 2 successful hits. Repeat with each further successful die.

No: each 5 is for each successful wound.
Base XP is gained for each successful hit (ie for each die that deals at least 1 wound)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark T
United States
Southern MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Akmor wrote:
Who2342 wrote:
I get base xp plus 5 plus another 5. Each 5 being for the 2 successful hits. Repeat with each further successful die.

No: each 5 is for each successful wound.
Base XP is gained for each successful hit (ie for each die that deals at least 1 wound)

So if you roll 3 hits for a total of 5 wounds you would get (base xp*3) + (wound XP *5)?
That doesn't quite sound right. I was under the impression that the base XP is awarded 1 per turn in which at least 1 wound is achieved, regardless of how many hits are rolled.
Thus, using the same scenario as above, you get base xp + (5 * wound XP) for that turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You get the base XP for any and every hit that causes wounds. Hits that don't get through defense don't generate XP.

rulebook pg 25 wrote:
XP is gained individually for each Hit that does one or more Wounds to the Enemy. The amount of XP gained is equal to the base XP value as well as an additional +5 XP for each Wound done.

For the enemies that generate XP per hit, each hit that causes at least one wound will generate XP according to this formula:

XP = base + (5 * number of elite abilities) + (5 * wounds)

So back to your example. If you roll 3 hits for a total of 5 wounds, your XP will depend on how many hits caused wounds. Let's look at the case of attacking a creature with Defense 3 and an XP payout of 10 + 5 per wound

1. Damage rolls = 6, 5, 3

Only the first two hits cause wounds, so your XP per hit will be:
hit 1: 10 + 3*5 = 25
hit 2: 10 + 2*5 = 20
hit 3: 0 (no wounds)
For a total of 45 XP.

2. Damage rolls = 5, 5, 4

All 3 hits cause wounds, so your XP will look like this:
hit 1: 10 + 2*5 = 20
hit 2: 10 + 2*5 = 20
hit 3: 10 + 1*5 = 15
For a total of 55 XP.

In both cases you caused 5 wounds, but the XP is different because of the number of hits you did the damage in.

See this thread here for more discussion on it: Quicknote: Nonstandard monster XP

edit: changed some of the numbers in my example during the first draft but forgot to change the totals. blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.