United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
Publisher of cricket board game mindencricket.com
mbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I run a small web site called replaycricket.com - a very niche corner of the board game world that focusses exclusively on cricket board games.

I've been contacted by Lord's, the home of cricket (lords.org), to help with an exhibition the Museum is planning for summer 2016 about, you guessed it, cricket board games.

I am after images and descriptions of ANY board games you might have, along with any info you might have on them - where you got it, did you play it as a kid, was it part of your childhood, did you invent it, and most importantly - what year was it made?

I am putting together a full list of all the cricket board games and looking for any anecdotes and stories you might have about the games themselves. I am also interested in any photographs of ephemera that might have come with the game itself.

Contact me via Board Game Geek in the first instance or replaycricket.com

Any help at this point will be appreciated :-)

Kind regards
Darren
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Bob
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I have a vague memory of a cricket version of subbutteo (apologise if spelt wrong).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Bob
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
http://www.subbuteoworld.co.uk/cricket

Try here, I am on a mobile and cant get the link to work

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mav
United Kingdom
Wellingborough
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
just given a copy of cricket world cup to my local charity shop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
Darren, good luck with this! Sorry I can't help out at all.

Was at Lord's the summer of 2014 for a tour (and to watch the test at The Oval against India) and it was great. The little museum is pretty nice, can't wait to see what you put together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Richards
Scotland
Allanton
Duns
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On the whole cricket games tend to be unsatisfactory because to make them realistic you need to include every ball bowled, with a huge number of variables for the result; but this of course tends to make an exasperatingly long game. Unlike actual cricket, of course.......

The only cricket game I've got is Armchair Cricket, which does a decent job of simulating a match and being quite fun, but is by no means realistic (all the bowlers and nearly all the batsmen are exactly the same).

At school of course there was cricket played with two pencils; the batsman rolled one, with possible scores of 1,2,3,4,6 and HOWZAT! If the result was a HOWZAT!, the bowler rolled the other one, which determined the mode of dismissal (and possibly Not Out). I seem to recall playing this with a friend who managed to score about 200 for 0. On reflection, his pencil may have been a bit wonky!

Another boardgame-like game I played by post, with the results being published in a magazine. I only dimly remember the details, but you had a team with players of different skill levels (and these could be coached and improved); each month a game was played, you assigned bowlers to each over, and they had to allocate the runs they would give away per over; the batting side could indicate whether they were playign aggressively or normally, and this gave a chance of actually scoring the runs from each ball, or of being out. It was really a cricket management game, but gave reasonably sensible results, though this came from modelling from effect rather than anything realistic.

I would be intrigued to know how many cricket games are likely to make it into the exhibition!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Fish
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
badge
They explained everything in detail and at great length. After they finished I sat, despondent, contemplating a bleak and empty future. "I’m glad you’re depressed" said one. "It means you’ve understood the situation.”
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi mate,

Firstly, may I draw your attention to the cricket guild here on BGG which can be found here:

Cricket Guild

It's a fairly small, but quite active guild and more members are always welcome.

I think that Eddy is pretty much bang right when he say cricket is a very hard thing to recreate in a boardgame, but that hasn't stopped people trying. These days I have wondered if there might be a bit of fun in running some sort of IPL manager style of game where seasons are played out rather than individual matches. Maybe I should run a KickStarter....

As regards cricket games, I played Test Match endlessly as a child. This was the version that was endorsed by Freddie Trueman I thinkthey have gone through a few 'frontman' since then. I have a couple of the add-ons that were available at the time including the 'spin' bowler which I have not photographed for BGG and the scoreboard, photo below:

I also have the Wickets Cricket Card Game which is notable for having a fourteen year old (at least that's how he looks) Michael Clarke, Geoff Marsh as a player and Nathan Bracken pre-hairband. Sadly Mark Waugh is sans mullet and his brother is omitted but it remains the premier cricket card game featuring Tony Dodemaide.

Happy to provide photos and suchlike if they'd be useful to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Stevens
Scotland
Kelso
Roxburghshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if you have seen these Replay games

http://www.owzatgames.com/c/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=...

I have certainly played them in the past and they are great fun. Solo games but they allow you to replay test matches and series games in a great deal of detail.

Enjoy.

Neil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Fish
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
badge
They explained everything in detail and at great length. After they finished I sat, despondent, contemplating a bleak and empty future. "I’m glad you’re depressed" said one. "It means you’ve understood the situation.”
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I forgot to add any anecdotes about the games.

d10-1 When my friends and I got into Test Match we experimented with different sized ball bearings (sourced from my father) and would often try to 'surprise' the batsman by selecting a 'mystery ball' which would behave in a different manner to the one that came out of the box.

d10-2 I was given Wickets Cricket Card Game by a Chinese friend who, when he emigrated to Australia, decided that he needed to learn more about the local culture. He purchased Wickets Cricket Card Game spent a long time looking at the cards and trying to understand the rules and then put it away never to look at it again.

I guess photos and statistics for Bruce Reid, David Boon and co just didn't inspire him. As far as I know this effectively ended his curiosity about cricket. He was more than happy to throw in the game for free when I bough his used Camry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duane Jeanson
South Africa
flag msg tools
Hi there

I have recently finalized working on a cricket board game after about 23 years of stop-start development.
I have played 160 games with friends and family. We have played 2 world cups, 1 champions trophy and 2 test matches amongst other friendly games.

Please advise if you would like some more info on the game and I can also supply a few photos.

Please bear in mind that the game is in a proto-type stage and might look a bit rough around the edges. Still doesn't make it any less fun or exciting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Richards
Scotland
Allanton
Duns
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The cricket game exhibition was mentioned on Test Match Special during the Lord's match vs Sri Lanka, as being something to go and have a look at (probably whilst it was raining).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Taylor
United Kingdom
Epping
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember a cricket game from when I was young (late 80s, early 90s) where you rolled a ball down a chute and then the batsman swung his bat at it. The fielders were on little stands and each had an indent in the middle so they could make a 'catch' if the ball went straight to them.

I don't remember what it was called, so it may be one of the games already mentioned, but I'm hoping this jogs a memory for someone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Richards
Scotland
Allanton
Duns
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
piemasteruk wrote:
I remember a cricket game from when I was young (late 80s, early 90s) where you rolled a ball down a chute and then the batsman swung his bat at it. The fielders were on little stands and each had an indent in the middle so they could make a 'catch' if the ball went straight to them.

I don't remember what it was called, so it may be one of the games already mentioned, but I'm hoping this jogs a memory for someone.

That sounds like Subbuteo Cricket.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Fish
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ed_the_Red wrote:
piemasteruk wrote:

That sounds like Subbuteo Cricket.

Could also have been Test Match.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.