17 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Need a fantasy related game for 3-4 player rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michal Listwon
msg tools
Hello there fellas.

I'm looking for a board game for 2-4 players (mostly 3,4) fantasy related.
I have played Talisman and wanted maybe something similar (some pvp, exploring, building your hero, interactions). We liked Talisman a lot, but after few games we got annoyed but the downtimes and the huge randomness. Also we felt that games lacked a bit of variety. I've done some research and I'm thinking about couple of titles. Mage Knight, Descent, Runewars, Runebound, Defenders of the realm. Would also love some other recommendations .

We can take time to learn the rules, the people will be almost always the same, and we have time to spend, if the game takes long. Age 24-25.

Thank You in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorg Thuijls
Australia
Brisbane
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG!

Your suggestions are good. If Talisman is something your group is into, you could have a look at Relic, which is a Warhammer themed remake, that removes some of the randomness. I would skip Mage Knight for know, it's a very complex game.

Are you into cooperative games? There are a whole bunch of cool fantasy games you play with your mates against the game / game mechanics. Myself, I mainly play those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Listwon
msg tools
Was thinking about relic also, but my gf prefers something with less space theme and more like elfes dwarfs magic. Typical fantasy and relic is also a bit sci-fi.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorg Thuijls
Australia
Brisbane
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Me and the misses play mostly cooperative fantasy games. The dungeons & dragons based ones like Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game are great, and if you prefer a deep but non-DnD game you could have a look at Mice and Mystics too. That one gets a lot of play time...

In games like these, each player picks a character with specific skills and weapons, then you work together to go on a (pre-set) adventure, explore dungeons, find items, solve puzzles and defeat the bad guys. At the end is usually a boss of sorts. Then you move on to the next adventure. They're good fun, and usually go for 1.5 hours or so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sounds like Arcadia Quest might be something for you then, its a dungeon crawl for 2-4 players playing either one-shot levels or doing a campaign.
I havent tried it but it sounds like a simplified Descent with PVP in it, theres character progression, lvling and getting gear.

Can also highly recommend Runewars, got it last month and damn its a good game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Johnson
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played Arcadia Quest and think it sounds ideal for your group. It's not a huge step up in complexity, has competitive play and character progression. It's also a lot of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Listwon
msg tools
jorugu wrote:

Are you into cooperative games? There are a whole bunch of cool fantasy games you play with your mates against the game / game mechanics. Myself, I mainly play those.

I think that PvP gives us more fun after all, but coop would be a nice addition to a game.

Arcadia Quest is not avaible in my language, sadly. And Mice and Mystics - we prefer something more "serious". Without the mice .

After what You guys said, I'm thinking now about Descent or Runewars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Albion's Legacy
Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game (due to be released soon)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João Hogan
Portugal
Lisbon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you play co-op Defenders of the Realm is a very very very good game. It will give you the feeling of defending a realm being overwhelmed by dragons, undead, demons and such.

Mage Knight is my favourite game. It is a bit complicated but if you're willing to loose some (considerable) time of going through the rules, walkthrough and watching 1 or 2 videos in the internet you'll understand how to play it and have the time of your life (as a gamer obviously). Bear in mind that this is a game that takes a lot of time to play though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Arcadia Quest

Perhaps Legends of Andor...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Listwon
msg tools
guildwa wrote:
If you play co-op Defenders of the Realm is a very very very good game. It will give you the feeling of defending a realm being overwhelmed by dragons, undead, demons and such.

Mage Knight is my favourite game. It is a bit complicated but if you're willing to loose some (considerable) time of going through the rules, walkthrough and watching 1 or 2 videos in the internet you'll understand how to play it and have the time of your life (as a gamer obviously). Bear in mind that this is a game that takes a lot of time to play though.

How does the Mage Knight look when playing it with 3-4 People? Untill You get to know the rules probably long, but when all People do well? Is it smooth or the downtime still kill Your friends?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on how AP prone the players are, I'd say

I only play Mage Knight solo, and a turn can easily take 15 minutes for me...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simona Dostalova
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to add a vote for Arcadia Quest. I own it, love it and the text is not that hard to understand. You can print translation on a paper or something and I think that this game would be very good for you and it would be a shame to dismiss it just because of the language
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João Hogan
Portugal
Lisbon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding Mage Knight it really depends on the group. In my case there is are not big down times but I can see it dragging for quite some time if the group is prone to AP

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boardgame
United Kingdom
Penrith
Cumbria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gloom of Kilforth: A Fantasy Quest Game would be well worth checking out... whistle

The new edition of Runebound is also likely to appeal.

If you're looking for something that has actually been printed, then the recommendations from posters above are all good places to start.

I've really enjoyed Mage Knight with 3 and 4 players - I don't really consider the time between turns as down time because I'm either planning my next move or engrossed by the current player's turn. The game certainly takes a long time to play, however, and I think you'll find that most people online strongly recommend playing with more than two.

The D&D Adventure Games are great fun - light, but fast, and with splendid miniatures, that you might be able to salvage for other fantasy games if the appeal wears off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asaf Fabbi
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
Proud member of the Cult of the New.
badge
The King of Meeples
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps The Undercity: An Iron Kingdoms Adventure Board Game

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/175334/undercity-iron...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Taylor
United States
Somerset
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Prophecy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.