Fief: France 1429» Forums » Rules

Subject: Fief title in limbo - enemy occupation in village rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Phelan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hello.

Enjoying this game lots. Although the edge case discussions can bog down the game a little. We could do with a little help on this particular scenario.

A fief lord dies, and has no legitimate heirs (all family members dead). But has a footman unit still the fortified stronghold. the As I understand it, the fief title goes into limbo (effectively, the title goes back onto the board).

In this scenario - does the player who has the unit in the fortified stronghold still 'govern' the empty villages in that fief, i.e does he take income for those villages.

Secondly - if an enemy moves into one of those empty villages, does this enemy 'control' this village for the purposes of income/tax. Or does the player that already has a unit in the fortified stronghold (but no lords) have 'governance' on this village.

Once a legitimate lord is played by the player who has a unit in the fortified stronghold he can auto-magically reclaim the fief title for that area. I assume he now 'controls' through 'governance' all areas in that fief regardless if enemy units have moved int and occupy there?

Sorry for the long explanation, doubly so if this has already been answered. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for taking time to read.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Bampi
Italy
Padova
flag msg tools
badge
"Go suck yer blade!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Afterswish wrote:
Hello.
In this scenario - does the player who has the unit in the fortified stronghold still 'govern' the empty villages in that fief, i.e does he take income for those villages.

No

Quote:

Secondly - if an enemy moves into one of those empty villages, does this enemy 'control' this village for the purposes of income/tax. Or does the player that already has a unit in the fortified stronghold (but no lords) have 'governance' on this village.

No

Quote:

Once a legitimate lord is played by the player who has a unit in the fortified stronghold he can auto-magically reclaim the fief title for that area. I assume he now 'controls' through 'governance' all areas in that fief regardless if enemy units have moved int and occupy there?

Well not exactly: he is GOVERNING them, not CONTROLLING. Check the difference on the rulebook if you feel unsure, section 13.0.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Phelan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks for the quick reply.

So - you do not control a village within a fief that you govern if enemy troops occupy that village space. In addition the enemy troop player cannot take income for the village he occupies in your governed fief?

or, in other words..

governing implies control of empty villages (for income/tax) unless an enemy unit occupies that space. In which case, nobody can claim income?

That's something I completely missed.

EDIT : After reading the rules again I'm not sure I agree with my (maybe inaccurate) summary of your points. It would appear that according to 3.0 in the rule book... 1 Denier for each Village he controls (5.1). Therefor occupying enemy forces in a governed Fief do claim the income?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Clinite
msg tools
mbmb
Determine village control in the following order:

1) If a Village is Occupied, then it is Controlled by the player occupying it.

2) If a Village is Not Occupied, then it is Controlled by the player who Governs it (i.e., has the village's fief title).

3) If a Village is neither Occupied nor Governed, then it is not Controlled.

Income for a village and all of its mills goes to whomever Controls the village (unless it is being besieged).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Bampi
Italy
Padova
flag msg tools
badge
"Go suck yer blade!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Afterswish wrote:

EDIT : After reading the rules again I'm not sure I agree with my (maybe inaccurate) summary of your points. It would appear that according to 3.0 in the rule book... 1 Denier for each Village he controls (5.1). Therefor occupying enemy forces in a governed Fief do claim the income?

Nick's answer is perfect. Anyway: yes. They get the Deniers from the mills attached to the village they control, too. The only way to get income from villages/mills without controlling them is through Tithe/Tallage. Read carefully the entire 3.0 section...all ways to get income are listed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Phelan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thank you for the replies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.